P2200 VU meter question

dino74

I'm a sucker for meters but I find the P2200 VU meters to be slow. While adjusting the bias, I played around with the VU meter adjustment. You think its bad to run the meters like this? I don't plan on playing anything more than 100 Watts with this.

(There's no sound other than the fan my phone was sitting on)

What is the question exactly? The meters on the P2200 are slower than digital meters, as you would expect, but I've never felt that they were too slow to do their job or let me know what was going on. I've run mine along-side my Yamaha M-2 for many years which has digital meters and is very quick. When I ran my P2200 in stereo, the results on the meters, in situations where I expected them to display an output comparable to the M-2, generally was, with only a slight non-problematic delay.

Attachments

• meters.png
    meters.png
    618.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The VU meters have an adjustment pot that the manual says adjust it so that 100 watts on a 8ohm load displays 100 watts on the meters. Out of curiosity, I put the pot to 0 ohms and now the meters move very quickly. I'm wondering if have that adjustment pot at 0 ohms is bad for the meters and/or circuitry.

100 watts on a 8ohm load displays 100 watts on the meters.
Correct . You need to inject a 1 khz signal into the input of the amplifier with enough amplitude to output an100watt - 1 khz signal into an 8Ω load. Then adjust your meters to the 100 watt hash marks on the meters.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if have that adjustment pot at 0 ohms is bad for the meters and/or circuitry.
Is that all your concerned with is bouncing meters, accuracy be damned? If your going through the amp. Might as well do it the right way.

Is that all your concerned with is bouncing meters, accuracy be damned? .
For some reason I thought they were VU meters but I just reread the manual and they're peak meters. I assumed they were VU cause they were moving slowly and I wanted something more lively. Could be they just needed to be adjusted. I'll try the 1Khz into 8ohms tomorrow. How do I know when I'm at 100 Watts? Measured the P2P voltage on the load?

Should this be 100 watts?
Oscope on 8 ohm load.
IMG_0463.jpeg
If it is then my board has a problem because this is the highest I get the meter
IMG_0462.jpeg

Edit: Nevermind that was P2P. Found the RMS
IMG_0464.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom