Pa amplifiers used for valve audio?

Tvcollector1

I have a few big pa amps at home can the transformers be used for audio output? asume power would be good but been told that the 100v line transformers can be used as an output transformer is this true? thanks

I've built a number of tube audio power amps using speaker line matching transformers as output transformers. Bass response is usually limited by core saturation if they're operated anywhere near the full power rating. High-frequency stability can be problematic in feedback circuits unless you're using an unusually low turns ratio, which calls for high-current output tubes, e.g. TV horizontal output types. This is my most recent effort: FangBlenny

I have a few of these australian monitors transistor models can they be used?

Attachments

• 65661__72384.1425178661.1280.1280.jpg
    65661__72384.1425178661.1280.1280.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 15
Are you talking about tube PA amps that have the 70 and 100v line outputs, or are you asking if those line transformers can be used on a tube amp?
The answer is basically yes in both cases, but you have to evaluate the specific transformer in question. Two of my best tube amps started life doing PA duty. There is an un-used 70v and 115v tap in there.

Mike has designed several very cool tube amps around fairly inexpensive PA line matching transformers.

Solid state amps often have a transformer inside to step it up to the 70 or 100v line. Often you can get a normal 4-8 ohm output by bypassing that transformer if it doesn't have a connection there already.

Back
Top Bottom