PA speakers for Hi-Fi?

bbqjoe

Void where prohibited
There's a set of somewhat older (15yrs) peavy sp2 2ways, and some 18" separate woofers, all in perfect condition. Sensitivity right around 98.
For free!

Tons of folks love their big altec and VOTT's, can these really sound all that different when used as a home system, or will they just be way too much honk, shrill, and in your face, with no real sound quality?

SP-2's are great speakers.

Clean up the input jacks, or better yet install decent 5-way binding posts.

If the 18's are original 118subs you are in for a treat.

Give strong consideration to an active 3 way set up since the SP-2's XO is already configured for it.

SP-2's are great speakers.

Clean up the input jacks, or better yet install decent 5-way binding posts.

If the 18's are original 118subs you are in for a treat.

Give strong consideration to an active 3 way set up since the SP-2's XO is already configured for it.
Yeah, they're the 118's.
The inputs are original 1/4 inch-speakon.
Do you think they could play at reasonable sound levels, or do they need to be cranked to sound good?
And yes, they are set up for bi-amping.
Jesus, not I'll need three amps?
Any idea how they might work with a VST-120?

Theres a guy here, I think its Moray James, who understands these. He says the tweeters are crossed over kinda high to help protect them from being destroyed. I think I heard him say once that you can change the crossover values via new parts, to lower the crossover point of the tweeters(and woofers) if you intend to use them in the home, where they won't be pushed as hard. This helps to make the sound more coherent.

LOL, my thought exactly! If it's free ... I'm taking it! My standards ... are kinda low I suppose. :)

Well they're not exactly free-free.
I have them packed up in storage, but literally, I've only really spent my time standing behind them.

My boys enjoyed the Sunn's while they were in the living room!

Yeesh, that was a long time ago. The only thing I still have or own is my son, the Sunn's and the house.

RockOnDude.jpg

Biggles

Yeesh, that was a long time ago. The only thing I still have or own is my son, the Sunn's and the house.

RockOnDude.jpg

Biggles
The place must have been rocking!!!!
You're about to lose your turntable cover.
jEUAZZL.gif

The place must have been rocking!!!!
You're about to lose your turntable cover.
jEUAZZL.gif

4 15" woofers, huge mids and 4 piezos in a 12' x 14' living room. Yeah, it was rocking to say the least! That poor TT cover, it spent its entire life unused like that. It was for my Dual 1229Q, which sat out and was in use. The cover just slowed me down.

Biggles

I bet there's a nucular laboratory a lot closer than that. :cool:

- Former Albuquerquean who still has family there
As a matter of fact LANL is in my back yard seven minutes away from my old job tech area.
Worked there for ten years as a contractor, then one day i was laid off stuck with a big rent bill every month after moving in one month before lay off.:bs:
Haven't seen past the guard gate since.
Sucks being called senior employee for five years with awards then become close to senior citizen and unemployed the next.:thumbsdown:
Nuclear..:deal:

RockOnDude.jpg

Biggles
Reminds me of a Robin Trower venue i went to at Jannus Landing in St. Pete, Fl late 80's.
This guy sitting on the side of the stage had his head planted inside a cabinet twice that size..
Davey Pattison nudged his head at Trower towards the guy and Trower looks and just shook his head with that big ass smile.
A roadie pulled him from the stack.

Yeah, they're the 118's.
The inputs are original 1/4 inch-speakon.
Do you think they could play at reasonable sound levels, or do they need to be cranked to sound good?
And yes, they are set up for bi-amping.
Jesus, not I'll need three amps?
Any idea how they might work with a VST-120?

I would probably not bi-amp the SP2s themselves.

As an alternative- I have tried the Econowave high-efficiency crossover (the ">95dB" version) in various PA speakers, with pretty good results. Especially in a home situation, where driver protection isn't as big of a deal as in PA.

That, and an active 2-way crossover for the subs- and you might be in business...

If nothing else- if you decide you don't want these in the end- at the very least, you could be a benefactor to a (hopefully) grateful local start-up rock band... these speakers will do quite well for any "garage band"... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Last edited:
I would probably not bi-amp the SP2s themselves.

As an alternative- I have tried the Econowave high-efficiency crossover (the ">95dB" version) in various PA speakers, with pretty good results. Especially in a home situation, where driver protection isn't as big of a deal as in PA.

That, and an active 2-way crossover for the subs- and you might be in business...

If nothing else- if you decide you don't want these in the end- at the very least, you could be a benefactor to a (hopefully) grateful local start-up rock band... these speakers will do quite well for any "garage band"... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

Regards,
Gordon.

All interesting ideas.
I probably wouldn't want to go all changing them up though.
They belong to an entire system including a 12 channel powered mixing board, two 2000 watt europower amps, 4 monitors, a 16 channel snake......it goes on.
They day after I gave them away, I'd probably wake up the next morning wanting to play out again. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom