PA1002A workaround / replacement

jlc has a smart data import tool. as bassblaster said, try loading the eagle design file directly, (assuming it is a complete design) might have to zip first. use the gerber viewer to go over it, it is all done in the quote web page.
if you want to load (eagle) and edit (easyEDA) a design that is converted, I have no idea how well that would work. Would have to run a test.

I looked at the quote form, it basically appears to want gerber files. They do have turorials on how to make gerbers from many programs like Eagle. Doing it from Eagle is sort of a pain, as is the board size limit on the free version (for some projects). I'll see how easy it is to do imports and gerbers using EasyEDA

Hi Bob,

I looked at jlcpcb again, it will only read in gerber/excellon for the quotations.
How complicate are your designs?
Are you boxed in that the s/w will not generate photoplot(gerber) your design because it has grown too large (pins, nets etc)?
sometimes it is easier to start from scratch using your s/w platform of choice and capability.

Hi Bob,

I looked at jlcpcb again, it will only read in gerber/excellon for the quotations.
How complicate are your designs?
Are you boxed in that the s/w will not generate photoplot(gerber) your design because it has grown too large (pins, nets etc)?
sometimes it is easier to start from scratch using your s/w platform of choice and capability.

This is mostly about re-using components I custom created in Eagle. Eagle will generate Gerbers, but it's not super easy. I want easy. Also I have 2 separate board designs from Eagle I would like to make into one board. It was made on two boards only because I ran into the board size limit.

Sure, library works takes time.
I have never bothered to learn Eagle, how many does one need to know?
It comes down to spending the money, if necessary, to get a tool that is capable to do the job you need.
Having to do it over and over again in different tools is very time consuming and frustrating.
For Orcad Layout, gerber gen is a push button op, once you have it setup properly. I have no idea why eagle would make it difficult.

So Bob@FM pointed out that the silkscreen for U3 is backwards. and i dont understand how when U2 and 3 used the same library part. so i guess when your building these boards flip U2 around. this has been fixed in the gerbers

Finally got this little board stuffed and installed in my TX-9500II. It works great, and sounds really good.
I'll follow with pictures.

The TLE2426 parts, U2 and U3 outputs go to PA1002A pins 6,7. In the first batch of 10 boards, U3 (the middle one) should be installed 180 degrees (flipped) from the image on the top silkscreen. The flat part of the U3 package should face pins 9-16. It is already fixed for next batch, whenever that happens.

could you post a pic of what it looks like cause im really curious to what it looks like. and probably others are too

JLC Just removed the extremely too high fees for a PCB color other then green. if we do another batch would we be interested in a different color?
upload_2019-3-23_17-27-15.png

How many boards in a panel? I think ordering another 20-40 would make sense, I would not go crazy and get like 200 units.

On color - if possible, select a color that best matches the vintage Pioneer board color. I see that as light brown/tan, as in pictures above. So, IMHO, NOT "red".

I'm going forward with the muting board tests. Is there any advantage to combining more than one board design in an order?

FWIW, I'm using the tuner with no muting. No muting is not a problem for me, at moderate volume levels. With no muting there is a small thump when switching from narrow to wide, or turning off the tuner (without turning down the volume), but it's not offensive or dangerous. But I'll do the muting board as it's 95% done already, and easy to install.

i can make the panel, within reason, as big as i please. i chose 9 boards per panel so it fits in the size requirements for $2 for 10 panels. so 90 boards. but for the same price can do 5 panels. 45 boards.

advantage to combining more than one board design in an order
Saves on shipping, so yes. once you get the muting boards done post the schematic and requirements and ill get a PCB for it started. then we can order both designs.

Saves on shipping, so yes. once you get the muting boards done post the schematic and requirements and ill get a PCB for it started. then we can order both designs.

I need to complete the muting prototype and fully test before giving a schematic. It works on paper, but that doesn't count. :)
Will be offsite and away from the test lab for a few weeks, so it will be a while before that happens.

Can a PA1001a be built on these boards?

No, that's a totally different chip. The PA1001A is a MPX decoder. It's fairly unique, if you want a pin for pin replacement.
I think there may be one or two other MPX chips that are very close, off by one or two pins only. So adapters could be easily done like this one. Or you could hand wire one on your own.

I don't know how often they go bad, but I think in many cases they may be OK, but folks assume they are bad as other things around them have failed or are mis-adjusted.

No, that's a totally different chip. The PA1001A is a MPX decoder. It's fairly unique, if you want a pin for pin replacement.
I think there may be one or two other MPX chips that are very close, off by one or two pins only. So adapters could be easily done like this one. Or you could hand wire one on your own.

I don't know how often they go bad, but I think in many cases they may be OK, but folks assume they are bad as other things around them have failed or are mis-adjusted.
Thanks for the input/answer.

My PA1001a is definitely bad. A socket has been installed, and a known good one stuck in made it sing.

We found a bad PA1002 that still had good audio out of the gain stage. The muting section is what had failed. By desoldering the muting pins and connecting the gain stage outputs to the coupling caps after the mute section.

Back
Top Bottom