Pacific Stereo History

I bought my first stereo bits that came in a box (i.e. NIB) from the Pasadena Pacific stereo right after they opened back around 1970 (date is a little fuzzy). It was a 25 wpc JVC integrated amp and a JVC cassette deck. I traded it back into them not long after purchase for a Harmon Kardon Citation 11 preamp, Citation 14 fm tuner, a Phase Linear 400 amp, Tanberg cassette deck, and JBL L-100s. I went for the optional walnut cases on everything (it looked too slick all wrapped in wood and it was only money after all). A few months later I got some L-200s from the Pasadena PS store.

I went off to school in Colorado and got a job selling stereo in a small local shop that carried some nice stuff (B&O, Nakamichi, Yamaha, Onkyo, Polk, ADS, Bose, along with Pioneer, Kenwood, and Denon).

By 1977 I was back in L.A. working for University Stereo in Pasadena. We had our store on Rosemead, Federated and Pacific Stereo right across the street. Customers could park any any of the 3 lots and walk to each store...... total madness but some good times :)

"Thanks for the Memories"

Can't believe I am reading thru this thread as it is bringing back so many memories of my days spent listening to audio gear at two Pacific Stereo stores, Pomona and Whittier, Ca. Most all of my audio gear was purchased from those two stores with one purchase made at the big Anaheim store. Purchases from those stores included as follows"

Phase Linear 400 Amps - 2 - Still own and use
Phase Linear 4000 Preamp - 1 - Still own, not in use
Marantz 3300 PreAmp - 1 - Sold several years ago
SAE MK6 Tuner - 1 - Sold (like a fool) several years ago. Got a good price tho
Rectillinear III Highboys - 2 pair - Sold several years ago
Phase Linear Andromeda III speaker system - still my main system to this day
Gerrard Lab 80 Turntable - 1 - sold years ago
Sony PS2251 Turntable - 1 w/top of the line Signet cartridge - still own
Harmon Kardon Citation 12 Amp - 1 - still own but don't use

I was friends of the manager at the Pomona store and everything I purchased at that store received a nice discount, including that SAE MK6 tuner that retailed for around $1,250 if memory serves me correctly. Won't tell you what I got it for for fear Jim may get in trouble...........Ha!

Lots of great times spent in those stores back in those days when stereo was stereo and there was no such thing as surround sound, home theatre, and I-Pods. Just good old fashioned music being belted out by great equipment that has long since all but disappeared. Thanks for this thread, think I'll go crank up those two Phase Linear 400s now and do some shakin' of my old homestead up here in the hills..............

Regards, Terry:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Thanks

Nice thread, thanks for the history.
I picked up some weird CBS Audio Products speakers a little while back and got the feeling they were Pacific Stereo house brand. I also picked up a big pair of Transaudio 1012B.

All cheap, all refoamed and all still working well.
The cabs are cheap but the drivers are OK.
For pennies a pound, not bad.

You know, I never remember seeing the Concept stuff at PS when I was there as a teen, maybe I just couldn't get past all the other familiar names. However, after missing/dismissing a likely Concept receiver (either an 11.0 or 16.5) at a garage sale for cheap $$ before I knew what they were, I made sure to correct that.

So now I've got a 16.5 essentially newly rebuilt by Fred Longworth, another 16.5 which is giving some hard-to-figure out fits (seems to go into some distortion mode at random times), a 2QD turntable, and 1 each ELC and ECL II cassettes. My friend who sold me the 2QD still has a 2.5 receiver and a pair of the CE series speakers, with the HEIL's but an open top IIRC. Concept models got alot of writeup here at AK a few years ago and there still seems to be a good following.

Good idea to check out Ford Electronics, they're right nice regular folks there. And if you don't see what you're looking for, ask, they may have it somewhere behind the counter or in stock.

Another local electronics store I currently frequent is Ford Electronics on Orangethorpe just west of the Fullerton Municipal Airport. They are a bit smaller than ORVAC but they have a very nice selection of parts, many of which are still in the tall sided cardboard bins. I like them because they're more family/pop run but ORVAC does also have a nice selection and a lot more commercial sound stuff too.

Anelectronics company I used to frequent was/is ITC Electronics. They had a store in Hawthorne on Imperial Highway near the 405. Had all the crazy surplus stuff you could find. They still have a store on Olympic in LA, I thought they had a store in Torrance on Hawthorne but I don't see it listed anymore. Had a lot of speaker stuff there, catered a lot to the DIY autosound and home.

Can't forget Olson Electronics, which was on Century Blvd. near the 405, home of the parts grab bags and rather sort of pedestrian offerings. Never thought they were all that good but they seemed to thrive for a while from all the local aerospace guys. Same for Inglewood Electronics about 2 blocks up the street, small shop with some parts stuff but for me, my first exposure to the early 70's Kenwood, Fisher, and Scott stereo gear. Wasn't much of a showroom but had a lot of gear on display.

Newark Electronics, an industrial distributor still in business had a main office another block west.

The two Pacific Stereos I visited often were in Inglewood on Manchester about 4 blocks east from downtown across from Sears, and their very nice Torrance store on Sepulveda and Hawthorne. After bike riding, I'd go there and try to get into the high end rooms just to look at all the Marantz and Pioneer racks of gear, and some of the really nice stuff that I can't remember the names of. I do remember getting a pair of hanging Bose 901's to rocking/swinging once we were able to turn it up! Remember the stacks and piles of boxed gear with prices on it just waiting to be picked up and taken to the counter?

I also visited a lot of the Federated stores while at UCLA. The nearest was on Olympic (?) in West LA, listened to alot of RTR's there, and the La Brea store in Hollywood not long before they closed down.

Lots of good memories there.
Westwood had a nice HiFi store, I remember falling in love with the DCM Time Windows and Dalquist DQ-10's there. Beverly Audio was closing in the Mid '80's and a buddy & I each purchased a pair of Chario Academy 2's on sale there. But my favorite story is when a college friend's dad wanted to buy a new stereo system...This was around 1980. His dad had a $5000.00 budget! We took him to a hi-end store (Jonas Miller) in West LA. Were were truly kids in a candy store!
Optimal enchantment is still alive and well; Ambrosia Audio is now another name...crap I'm a nerd!
Sorry for straying away from the Pac Stereo theme.
Mike

>>>>>>>Westwood had a nice HiFi store, I remember falling in love with the DCM Time Windows and Dalquist DQ-10's there. Beverly Audio was closing in the Mid '80's and a buddy & I each purchased a pair of Chario Academy 2's on sale there. But my favorite story is when a college friend's dad wanted to buy a new stereo system...This was around 1980. His dad had a $5000.00 budget! We took him to a hi-end store (Jonas Miller) in West LA. Were were truly kids in a candy store!
Optimal enchantment is still alive and well; Ambrosia Audio is now another name...crap I'm a nerd!
Sorry for straying away from the Pac Stereo theme.<<<<<<<<

Mike

Not to stray even further off this thread's topic, but how about Shelly's Audio on Wilshire Blvd. (or was it Pico Blvd.???). Hung out in there a few times also. Those were some good times indeed...........

PS: Did some checking and found "Shelley's Stereo and Video" in Woodland Hills, CA. I was thinking they were originally over in the LA area but now the memory comes back, they were always in Woodland Hills, just under a different name back then........... I think???..........Ha! Hate it when the olde memory banks start failing............ Terry

Terry

Last edited:
I just purchased a Concept 9.5 from ebay - new in the box. I will let you all know how it is when I receive it.

Tom

Can't believe I am reading thru this thread as it is bringing back so many memories of my days spent listening to audio gear at two Pacific Stereo stores, Pomona and Whittier, Ca. Most all of my audio gear was purchased from those two stores with one purchase made at the big Anaheim store. Purchases from those stores included as follows"

Phase Linear 400 Amps - 2 - Still own and use
Phase Linear 4000 Preamp - 1 - Still own, not in use
Marantz 3300 PreAmp - 1 - Sold several years ago
SAE MK6 Tuner - 1 - Sold (like a fool) several years ago. Got a good price tho
Rectillinear III Highboys - 2 pair - Sold several years ago
Phase Linear Andromeda III speaker system - still my main system to this day
Gerrard Lab 80 Turntable - 1 - sold years ago
Sony PS2251 Turntable - 1 w/top of the line Signet cartridge - still own
Harmon Kardon Citation 12 Amp - 1 - still own but don't use

I was friends of the manager at the Pomona store and everything I purchased at that store received a nice discount, including that SAE MK6 tuner that retailed for around $1,250 if memory serves me correctly. Won't tell you what I got it for for fear Jim may get in trouble...........Ha!

Lots of great times spent in those stores back in those days when stereo was stereo and there was no such thing as surround sound, home theatre, and I-Pods. Just good old fashioned music being belted out by great equipment that has long since all but disappeared. Thanks for this thread, think I'll go crank up those two Phase Linear 400s now and do some shakin' of my old homestead up here in the hills..............

Regards, Terry:thmbsp:

How bout some pics of those Phase Linear speakers?

Got my first system at the Costa Mesa store. Marantz 2215, Quadraflex speakers (I think they were the 33's) and a Garrard turntable. Pacific also had a speaker trade in plan where you could trade in your speakers for full value within a year for a more expensive pair. I did this for several years in a row before finally settling on large Advents (wish I still had those!) ah memories!

How bout some pics of those Phase Linear speakers?

Have never figured out how to do the picture thingee but I can tell you one thing. If you've never listened to PL Andromeda IIIs before, do so if you are fortunate to ever run across this system. I just recently added a second system to my collection, had been looking for years for one and always either just missed one by "that much", or it was in irrepairable condition and not worth putting money into, etc. Or the owner was simply asking too much for it......

Terry

9.5? Sure it wasn't a 7.5D?

My guess is you will find it... new in the box. Even used, the 7.5D is a very nice receiver although the tuner doesn't to me sound as sweet as some of the analog models (5.5, 11.0, 16.5 for example). Cool knobs though, and you won't have to worry about the fake wood cabinet having any wear and tear.

The tough part though is if you take it out of the box and use it, the value will plummet but what's the use of having it if not to use?

John

I just purchased a Concept 9.5 from ebay - new in the box. I will let you all know how it is when I receive it.

Tom

>>>>>>>Westwood had a nice HiFi store, I remember falling in love with the DCM Time Windows and Dalquist DQ-10's there. Beverly Audio was closing in the Mid '80's and a buddy & I each purchased a pair of Chario Academy 2's on sale there. But my favorite story is when a college friend's dad wanted to buy a new stereo system...This was around 1980. His dad had a $5000.00 budget! We took him to a hi-end store (Jonas Miller) in West LA. Were were truly kids in a candy store!
Sorry for straying away from the Pac Stereo theme.<<<<<<<<

Mike

Not to stray even further off this thread's topic, but how about Shelly's Audio on Wilshire Blvd. (or was it Pico Blvd.???). Hung out in there a few times also. Those were some good times indeed...........

PS: Did some checking and found "Shelley's Stereo and Video" in Woodland Hills, CA. I was thinking they were originally over in the LA area but now the memory comes back, they were always in Woodland Hills, just under a different name back then........... I think???..........Ha! Hate it when the olde memory banks start failing............ Terry

Terry
I forgot about Shelly's! I bought my Adcom 585 there!
Mike

My memory was of a Minimus 7 type speaker and an automotive power amp that coupled well with it.

That and my buddy Randy Shirley worked there after the shop we worked together at went under in Atlanta.

Pacific Stereo had some competition in the Dallas area back in the 80s. I never got to visit the PS store, but Hillcrest Fidelity & Sound Climax got a lot of business. I bought my first system from Sound Climax on Montfort & LBJ.

Rome

Concept components were made by top manufacturers!

I recall buying my very first HiFi system from Pacific Stereo ca. 1977...
A Concept 3.5 receiver, BIC turntable and a set of Audio Technica electret headphones(my folks hated rock), later used in my dorm room in college. Shockingly clean, detailed sound, compared to anything I'd ever heard prior.

Once I had a chance to listen to some large Concept loudspeakers a friend had gotten from Pac' Stereo, driven by a Concept 16.5 (monster receiver). Wow! :thmbsp:

The Concept receivers were marked as made by Nippon Columbia (i.e. Denon).

Those Concept Loudspeakers were apparently made by Pioneer, as they had those way-cool "robot-head" HPM omni super-tweeters on top! :cool:

Due to substance abuse (popular at that time), I don't remember much other than listening to Pink Floyd DSOTM and Isao Tomita's synthesized version of Holst's "The Planets" on said friend's system. I could never forget that...
Good times! :smoke:

-Chas

I was a kid during the PC era. I use to drool over the Kenwood Basic line and most of the speakers they sold.

Back then and now, Marvin Electronics is the high end store in fort worth that's still standing. But I wish I was able to collect gear during the PC days.

Thanks to all of who have posted here on Pacific Stereo. I bought a Quadraflex 868 Receiver, and a pair of RS6 three way speakers from the store located in Chicago Heights Illinois in 1978. What a fun place it was to be in. Later on the next year I bought a Pioneer HR100 8-track tape player / recorder and a Pioneer Cassette player / recorder. I still have everything but the speakers. All still play beautifully. Great Memories

Back
Top Bottom