1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Packing cartridge & Stylus

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by Redox, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Redox

Redox New Member

Hi everyone, I have to ship a MM phono cartridge and stylus. I don't have any of the original packaging or stylus guard. Any ideas on the best approach?

Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. thomo57

thomo57 Super Member

Pack it in a small hard plastic box or pill bottle or something similar and pack soft packing around it so it can't move

3. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

I had to ship a very expensive (>$5K) LOMC cartridge, which had no packaging, not even a stylus guard. I took a rectangle of corrugated. struck two lines across the corrugations. After slicing through the top face and the core, but not the bottom face, I turned the corrugated over, and mounted the cartridge in the centre of the middle piece of corrugated, using some extra mounting screws I had. After folding the two 'wings' up, I had a triangular prism, which I then slid into a piece of 2" ABS pipe, about 6" long. The edges of the prism all touched the interior of the pipe, so nothing moved. I used duct tape to seal two caps on the ends, labelled the pipe, and off it went. I could stand on the pipe, without it flexing, under the pressure of my weight. It arrived safe and sound, despite the pipe and tape bearing the scars of having had a rough ride.

I've used the same cardboard technique inside a large pillbottle, then in a small box, for other cartridges, since then.

4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I have used small gift boxes like a ring box. Poke holes in the lid, screw it down or zip tie it to the lid, tape the box shut.

savatage1973 likes this.
  5. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Someone shipped me an inexpensive cartridge nestled in cotton balls inside a large pill bottle. It worked, but if prefer to see it attached to a backer like others have suggested.