Packing question

electronjohn

Plug it in & see!!
Subscriber
I have a pair of Altec 511 horns that will need shipping in a month or so. I experimented with various boxes, etc. only to end up with a very large, cumbersome package. So...I found a pair of boxes that cut down perfectly to ship these in...complete with honeycomb cardboard inner liners, foam bracing, etc. UPS is not a possibility since I'd have to drive 15 miles to the UPS store (and I don't trust them nearly as much as I do the P.O.)...so I temporarily packed one & stopped down to the P.O. to see if they were shippable USPS, Size & weight-wise they were well within their standards. But...I'd need to ship two separate packages. Just for the heckuvit I had them calculate shipping to L.A. & it came in around $40 for each.

Am I on the right track here? And, would a potential purchaser balk at this cost & method?

The only other thing I would do is double box them. As for a purchaser paying $40 per box, I don't think you'll have any problem at that price. Most buyers of stereo gear would want safe packing over shipping cost, I would pay extra knowing they won't get damaged.

I have a supply of this honeycomb cardboard used to separate layers on pallets of cereal. Most are 1" thick...some 3/4". Stuff looks like the honeycomb composite used in aircraft & works well as an inner liner for a box. Brace it up with foam or the like and you have a pretty stout box. If you do any shipping check w/your local supermarket & see if they'll save some for you. I either cut it on the table saw or use a sharp knife...sometimes taping pieces together to get the correct size for what I'm doing. Same pallets generally come with these HARD cardboard corner pieces to
"stiffen" the whole thing up. Stuff's more like Masonite than cardboard @ around 1/4" thick. Handy to have around.

Back
Top Bottom