Packing/Shipping 101

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by Wardsweb, Jul 8, 2004.

1. wingzam

wingzam VIntage audio??

Nice job!
    I like the wood reinforcement.Very smart for a receiver of that weight.
    I'm not a big fan of styrofoam peanuts though..probably because I have PTSD from when I was a groundskeeper at an apartment complex.

A resident had literally filled a large dumpster nearly half full of those things.It was a very windy day the trash truck came..I was picking up peanuts for weeks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tensleep

tensleep AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah, I was hesitant to use the peanuts, but I have two big bags of them at work that I need to get rid of. My boss bought them and it will take us 10 years to get rid of them at our normal rate. Hopefully, the stretch wrap will keep the receiver clean.

3. wingzam

wingzam VIntage audio??

My components sell and ship super clean.I put them in a garbage bag to keep any fingerprints,dust,etc off,set the unit down on thick styrofoam sheet,then I start building the protective barrier around it.Great thing about this material is you can cut out spaces for remote controls and cables and it looks real professional.

Always get good feedback for my packing and occasionally hear it is the best they've seen.

I don't have a dog so I really look forward to feedback from happy customers.
    I don't have a wife so have 100% feedback across the board!

4. catfish

catfish Member

Great feed...I am 6 for 10 on the online buying game. Unfortuently cannot afford to do anymore. Learned to be an in person kind of guy. The dream of owning what I had in the service again is getting a few down-grades. 3 pieces arived busted up, 1 had garbage for packing material ...ewww, now left with repair bills. One of the reasons I am now an AK fan. Gaggles of good info...smile

5. Bozzmonster

Bozzmonster Sabrina Says 'Feed Me!'

Just did my first sale in Barter Town, and it's been a while since I shipped electronics. I was an avid ...Bayer up until a few years ago (ran out of stuff to sell and my access to discount shipping evaporated when I was layed off from my last job) I just sold a Playstation 1 with the RCA outs. I forgot how fun (really!) it was to do a good packing job. Here's what I did:

Found a box to fit - a small box from Staples in the interoffice delivery. Clean and like new.

Layered the bottom with lots of newspaper as a bed.
    Took the unit and wrapped it securely in three rounds of bubble wrap. Taped edges like a package.
    Placed unit in a brand new plastic grocery bag (bought in bulk at Costco as lunch bags)
    Placed the controllers in separate grocery bags.
    Placed cables in another grocery bag.
    Placed all items in the box and wadded newspaper around them
    Crumpled newspaper on top of the items
    Placed a sheet of newspaper on top.
    Gave it the shake test. No movement heard.
    Satisfied, taped box securely.

Never had a complaint on my packaging. I feel my shipment is a reflection of myself, and I take pride in my work.

6. wingzam

wingzam VIntage audio??

I have become obsessed with boxes and packing material.While a friend is looking at some hot chick walking by,I notice this great computer box that's perfect for shipping an amp in!He'll say "Wow,nice boobs" and I'll say "Man,that's a great box!"

Bubble wrap is too damned expensive - I would never buy any.I have a stash of it and will pick it up at yard sales,etc..for next to nothing.Wadded up newspaper is still one of the best cushioning materials around and egg containers make great shock absorbing material for the bottom layer.

Need boxes?Try WalMart at around 2am when they're stocking the shelves.It's like heaven!

7. Duguana

Duguana New Member

Here are pics of packing 2 Pioneer CS 33's I sold on feebay that went to Italy.
    They arrived just as sent. Wrapped units in plastic or small bubble to protect from abrasion with foam board. Precisely cut 1 1/2" styrofoam board pieces to surround and I place either styrofoam or the pink spongee foam padding between the speakers face to face(if two are being boxed together). If one speaker in box, hot glue an extra layer or two of cardboard inside or outside the box on the speakers face side, and a extra piece of cardboard between foamboard and speaker to protect the fragile grill area from a poke through hit. The top and bottom foam pieces are full size out to the box perimeter to give good side corner crush protection. Wrap tape in all directions tightly to keep foam board snug. Box is made by taking larger than needed box and separating the glued corner and laying flat, cutting in half, then after cutting the two halves to the size and leaving a flap of 3" on one side of each to hot glue down the two opposing corners to construct the right size. Flaps at one end(bottom) can then be closed by taping the outside, then going inside and lifting flaps and hot gluing them down for super ridged construction. Slide the foamed and taped items into the box and cut up the corners to flap closed. Create a bend on all flaps at top and close two at a time, when overlapped cut through center to even them up. Once both sets are of size hot glue them down. Now tape the seam and tape down all corners to keep corners from ripping upon any impact. I write addresses on the cardboard then tape over so that area can't be abrazed off obliterating it. The tape also helps the Del. Conf. and customs stickers stick and stay stuck. Hope that helps. I am an avid user of hot glue, it's easy to get flaps stuck where you want em and causes the box ends to act as one tough double thick piece of cardboard, and it won't flex twist. I use hot glue on the smallest to the largest packages. When down the corner protection is needed, just cut some thick cardboard the height of corner and bend in a V and hot glue the V's into the corners for impact and top load crush resistance. Quick, someone buy something so I can have fun packing it up, LOL. D

Attached Files:

8. Duguana

Duguana New Member

Pics of packing a turntable. Cartridge removed and encased in small cardboard box and placed under platter(see pic). Tone arm keeper taped. Tone arm weight taped in place. Belt in bubble wrap cocoon in that space. The platter and mat was removed and encased in raised portion with flaps hot glued to hold firmly. Once all was in place, the dust cover wrapped in news paper fit over all with soft foam under it. Then foam board cut to surround sides and cover top(notice extra pink soft foam on top of the dust cover before white foam went on). A thick cardboard went over that as well. Taped all around and this was actually double layer boxed. D

Attached Files:

9. epifanatic

epifanatic acoustically suspended

I'd remove that counter-balance weight, I've seen too many broken stubs on the backs of tone-arms from shipping the weight in place. Remove the weight and wrap it in bubble wrap, then secure somewhere safe.

10. Duguana

Duguana New Member

Pics of packing turntable continued.

If you hot glue foam board together it's best to glue thin cardboard between. Put the glue on cardboard first and let cool for a few seconds or the glue will just melt into the foam, then press in place and hot glue the other side of the cardboard and stick to the mating piece. To cut foam board use a long blade like an Olfa, or like I use- a carpet blade held super tight in the end of a vise grip pliers which gives a great handle to control with and long enough blade to go through an inch and a half easy with a couple passes at an angle.

Attached Files:

11. Duguana

Duguana New Member

Pics of packing a turntable continued

After the last pic it was double boxed, securing flaps with hot glue and tape and all corners taped. Nice and snug like one solid unit and plenty of impact resistance with 1 1/2" foam and nowhere for anything to move.

Attached Files:

12. Duguana

Duguana New Member

Yeah, I agree, thought afterward that would've been best. There was plenty of room under the platter area. Fortunately it was a strong arm and not a very heavy weight. The new owner was new to turntables so I taped it in place set at 1.5 grams to get him started. D

Attached Files:

13. KiM3Ce

KiM3Ce AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great thread! Instead of starting with a plastic bag I now use shrink wrap. You can buy a big roll at Home Depot that is wide enough for most items. If you are really a tightwad, you can recycle the shrink wrap from the drycleaners! Also Home Depot bubble wrap is cheaper than Staples; that's all the shopping I've done. Speaking of Home Depot, their shipping tape is so thin that if you lose the end, you can't find it again! I've had good results with Scotch brand shipping tape, worth the extra bucks.

If you work for a big company, they probably have a box recycling bin in the shipping department. I get 90% of my boxes free and I am recycling!

14. wingzam

wingzam VIntage audio??

I'm going to have to get you to decorate my birthday cake!:D

15. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

I'm cross posting these UPS and FedEx packaging guidelines, documents, and links to help others see what the shipping companies are advising people to do. At best they are a basis for your packaging. At worst, they sometimes can give false security in that they sometimes make people think - "oh, I used a couple layers of bubble wrap with some foam peanuts and a used thin wall box, I'm sure this will handle a 30 pound receiver" - NOT.

People delude themselves into thinking that its good enough. Or they cheap out, and use whatever scraps and material they have on hand, especially boxes.

My last 3 shipments of speaker drivers were shipped with 1) double boxed with wadded newspaper, 2) cellophane wrapped and then packed with 1/2 inch foam remnants, but a very thick wall box, and 3) bubble wrapped 2 inches thick. All survived but the first one could have been a disaster.

IMO, there's no such thing as overpacking. It costs more, but saves so much hassle. Be sure to show your buyer why you need to charge so much for packaging, and then shipping. You get what you pay for with your shipping dollars, assuming your shipper will comply.

Here's the posts:

16. wingzam

wingzam VIntage audio??

Thanks for the info Mech986!

17. Delgreco

Delgreco New Member

Probably one of the best posts I've read!

It's so disappointing to see/hear of so much cool kit getting destroyed/damaged due to carelessness.

One thing I have noticed is that this stuff is only relevant to people who actually give a crap about the stuff they are sending.

For too many people, their job as the seller finishes as soon as the package leaves their hands. They do not realise that they are responsible until the unit is delivered, unpacked, and tested/first used!

In my experience, the people on eBay etc, selling loads of random and unrelated items are worst, as the stuff is generally not theirs, and they don't care about it. And I always get them to explicitly clarify the condition of the item, and send pics from all angles, before they pack, and ship. Then I can send copies back if there is any descrepency!

Also, keep the box it came in until you are happy with the outcome too!

I am in the middle of an issue to be resolved currently! Hopefully it will go ok!

S

18. beans

beans Got arth-a-ritis

Where do you get E-Pak? I need to ship a Dynaco amp 1000 miles away and I need to have boxes custom built. I plan to use a double box method, but the material they use at The UPS Store wont cut it. Also need a rectangular styrofoam block that I can cut to size, and slabs.

19. skiroe

skiroe Yep, thats the offspring

gonna try posting at the end of this thread.

20. skiroe

skiroe Yep, thats the offspring

I have been packing up components for more than the last 10 yrs since I got started in this "addiction". Initially , I had heard things like one carrier being better than another and of course there is no truth to that. I have had dealers ship to me who you would think would be on top of it but can seemingly be quite ignorant of what goes on in in the transit lanes. While there is a quite lengthy thread here I am not going to go read everything at this point. One of my primary duties on packing if bubble is going to be employed is to first put a simple layer of cardboard over the unit to remove the "sharp" edges thus enabling the bubble to be a bit more resilient. My favorite packing material is poly foam for a lack of an accurate term.. Although poly foam might be accurate. Tha'ts the foam of course that does not break as near as readily like styro. Generally I will have some around from equipment that has been shipped to me ---even using smaller pieces in a constructive manner. foam peanuts can work if you use that material correctly and in conjunction with an additional padding material. The issue is to make sure the component can not "push" through the peanuts to wind up right next to the inner border of the box thus enabling the unit to take a hit. The unit needs to be restrained to remain in the center so that cant happen. Packing becomes an art and if you are truly taking the time to pack a 40 lb or more unit it is going to take you anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hrs to pack it depending what you have available and modifying if need be. I really dont take any pleasure these days in buying online because I'm tired of going through the litany with a seller re/their competency in packing. It's a jungle out there and carriers aint gonna be any help. Which reminds me. I need to go out and see where I can buy slabs of poly foam. Not cheap. Need to get ready to ship