Pairing a Sansui 9090 with Paradigm Series 60? Thoughts?

This might be a more than decent match. Older vintage like your Sansui tend to a warm sound while Paradigms tend to bright and revealing..

The Paradigm 60 v5s seem to have a reasonable impedance curve so not to challenge the Sansui which was designed in the era of 8 ohm acoustic suspension speakers.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...-loudspeaker-measurements#WJFeMw7TSD8hiFFu.97

Sounds like a good pairing.
That is really interesting info, thank you. To be honest, I still don't really understand the ohm compatibility and incompatibility issues. I was using tower Definitive Technology BP8060's (which granted are not very powerful). They say they have a 8 ohm impendace but they did not match well with the Sansui at all. The left side sounded VERY muted (even when I switched out the speakers). They also claim they can handle up to 300 watts. But they could not drive the Sansui (granted I got the speakers first, and later upgraded to the Sansui). this is the write up on the Def Tech speakers that I had:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-CE8TCUnKjuq/p_735BP8060/Definitive-Technology-BP-8060ST.html

I was seriously considering the Paradigm's and I tested out a pair of B&W 683 S2, which sounded great. But I happened to come across a pair of RSL Elan towers for a reasonable price so I had to jump on it. So far they sound great after I adjusted the mid-range setting. Hopefully they are a good match, they are the first pair of speakers that let me make those adjustments. When I first connected them, they also sounded muted on the left side. Clearly I am just learning about proper frequency and crossover... I am open to any advice!

Perhaps your 9090 could use a switch and/or pot cleaning? If all your speakers sound muted on one channel I would think its the receiver at fault? Look up the sticky posted in general discussion forum " Idiots guide to Deoxit revisited"
Make sure to clean the selector switch, balance pot and tape monitor switch and speaker selector at the very least and also never hurts to pull the u shaped metal jumpers on the rear and give them a shot too!! I bet that will make a night and day difference!!

Perhaps your 9090 could use a switch and/or pot cleaning? If all your speakers sound muted on one channel I would think its the receiver at fault? Look up the sticky posted in general discussion forum " Idiots guide to Deoxit revisited"
Make sure to clean the selector switch, balance pot and tape monitor switch and speaker selector at the very least and also never hurts to pull the u shaped metal jumpers on the rear and give them a shot too!! I bet that will make a night and day difference!!
EXCELLENT advice. I have had a feeling there is some cleaning I could do to the receiver but was having trouble finding info on what exactly to do. I have been in touch with the guy who restored it a while back but wanted to avoid bringing it into him because he'd probably keep it for a few weeks. I will try the home remedy first. It was interesting how much making the adjustments on the speakers' midrange made, but I sense there is more than could be done. I'll get on it this weekend, thanks!

If you have no experience doing a good cleaning of switches and pots, I would not recommend doing anything, but I am of course an old fool!

If you have no experience doing a good cleaning of switches and pots, I would not recommend doing anything, but I am of course an old fool!

One has to start somewhere.....of course practicing on something less expensive is not a bad idea.

Is your listening room fairly acousticly symmetric? Having a reflective side wall on one side and large opening into another room or void could make a difference too.

But still, cleaning the switches and controls on new-to-you vintage is always a good practice and not hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom