Panasonic RP 82 review

WildWest

I really needed a multi function DVD player. My old DVD player was literally that, old. And a Sony besides ugghhh. (Only Sony thing I respect is their TVs) My CD 5 disk changer was serious vintage tin and I knew I was not getting DVD or CD audio reproduction like I could be.

I had my sights set on the Panny RP 91 for some time but dang, that thing started out up towards 700.00 bucks. Well worth it no doubt but more than this kid could shell out. Slowly though the price of the RP 91 started to drop. Soon it was attainable for a bit over 400.00 clams. Still though, out of my reach. So I would scoure some of the more video related web forums hoping to find something that would work.

Sure enough I did. Panasonic came out with a new machine almost identical to the RP 91 that being the 82. The differance in them did not affect me so I jumped all over the 82 at the shipped price of 220.00.

Let me sum up my feelings on this machine in two words. HOLY CHIT!! What a HUGE and I mean HUGE differance in of course picture (progressive scan and it's audio track) and CD audio play back. For 220.00 dollars I am extreamly pleased with this machine and its function. It has the latest build features to it and totally ROCKS. I was floored by the 480p display on my Sony 53" big screen. Details of color and the center channel audio for voices was much more present. I played Gladiator and I remember in the begining scene where the Romans were attacking the Germans and Maximus was talking to his soldiers. Before you almost had to strain to really make out just exactly what he was saying at times. Didn't want to raise the db level of the center channel to compenstate for that would whack the whole surround mode. Now the voice comes through cystal clear exactly like it should be. I like it!

Folks, if you are in the market for a new multi function single disk DVD player you will be hard pressed to do better than the Panasonic RP 82 at its price point!

:grnbounce

Last edited:
What a nice feature. You can have levels of voice enhancement in the center channel. You know sometimes how your DVD sound track for vocals is not quite there enough on the center channel? Well this player has 2 levels of enhancement that helps bring out the vocals. Says it doesn't work on all DVDs but so what. Very kewl. I hate having to raise the db level of the center channel to help vocals. It always throws off my whole system calibration. This should prove to be interesting.

WW,
is the progressive scan dvd player that much better picture quality than a standard one? i considering on purchasing one, i do have a panny 47" hdtv widescreen

shibby
Al

I think it was a worth while purchase and a step up in video display. It was striking to me the better color and even audio. I did have an older Sony DVD player so likely this new Panny surely should have outshined it. But anyone I talk to that got a Progressive scan player for their 1080i TV was glad they did. For 220.00 shipped, the RP 82 is very hard to beat. :)

Back
Top Bottom