Paoli SOB tube monoblocks? Heard of 'em?

isRelative

Show Me What You Got
Apparently designed by the late Dave Conklin and based on the topology of the Dynaco ST-70. These pump out 100wpc, but does anyone know anything about them?

They look great, just wondering what they'd sound like :p

Attachments

• 00202_dE00KlPF1aR_600x450.jpg
    00202_dE00KlPF1aR_600x450.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 115
They are / were rebuild dynaco MkIII
A friend in sweden built some of these from MkIII kits, i have the schematics somewhere. Basically they were pentode
connected with a beefed up capacitor bank. They were somewhat limited in power ( 50w ) comparet to MkIII

I had a pair decades ago. They bolted a small chassis to the MK3. It had a small transformer & 2 large computer style caps, to make a 300vdc screen supply. So a pentode amp. The stock circuit board had many changes to parts. Over all it was an improvement over the stock MK3. Better bottom, more dynamics, crisp pentode sound. Back then you would send your Mk3's in for the mod. I might have the schematic. This was in the late 70s, from Pailo PA.......

Stereophile magazine basically started with Paoli audio in Pa., iirc. The mod'ed Mk-III amps also got William Z. Johnson started at ARC.

649320112_thumb_e1298291d95a9a0301516036baaad19c.jpg The Paoli SOB's pictured above are the PROTOTYPES of the actual SOB's. They are not to be confused with the Paoli 60m's that were originally developed by Walter Key and Eugene Coggins of Paoli High Fidelity Consultants. The 60m's were created to compete directly with the ARC D-76 at a fraction of the cost. The actual SOB's that were constructed after the prototypes are still in service and apart from tube wear are virtually bullet proof. The sound is glorious.

Back
Top Bottom