Paper bag flooring on a speaker?

Totally forgot about this thread. Finally got my PA cabs stripped and been looking for a really cool finish.
Than I ran across this again. Bumped and bookmarked for future reference.

Alright, I finally got around to trying this and I'm pleased with the results. A word of warning. If you are anal retentive, have OCD, or any other malady that requires perfection, this is not for you. It's a messy, rough, and haphazard finish. If you put 20 coats of polyurethane on it you may get a smooth finish, I do not possess such patience.

Wondering if you might get a better smooth finish if you just started by using a reduced poly finish instead of glue to set the paper? Saturate the paper completely, apply, roll flat, repeat as needed, then once you get into sanding, you've got a consistent hard surface to work with. Wouldn't expect anything less than a mirror smooth finish doing it that way.

And yes ... patience IS a good thing if you want an OCD friendly finish. I worked this case to 1200 grit - I can see myself!

installed-013.jpg

Wondering if you might get a better smooth finish if you just started by using a reduced poly finish instead of glue to set the paper? Saturate the paper completely, apply, roll flat, repeat as needed, then once you get into sanding, you've got a consistent hard surface to work with. Wouldn't expect anything less than a mirror smooth finish doing it that way.

And yes ... patience IS a good thing if you want an OCD friendly finish. I worked this case to 1200 grit - I can see myself!

installed-013.jpg

Hmm, good question. May make cleanup a bigger chore however. I don't think I'll be doing this again, but if someone else tries it, please share your thoughts. and since Photophucket decided to hold my pics hostage, I'm screwed, pic's will not upload.

Zombie thread dredge up....

@dnewma04 Did you ever finish up these cabinets? What did you use for a final finish on them? Got any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom