Paradigm Floor Standing Speakers and Home Theater

kysrsoze

Hi all,

I need some advice on making a system work. We're moving into a new house and I've finally convinced my wife to allow my Paradigm 9se MKIII's in the main family room. I want my good sounding music again. However, like most wives, she doesn't want speakers everywhere and I have some setup limitations. We have somewhat of a budget, so I don't want to go overboard. If I have to give up some sound quality, I'd rather give up a little on the movie sound, as opposed to the music which I want as good as possible.

I already have a CC-370 center channel speaker, but the family room has a fireplace right smack in the middle of the room where the TV will go. There's no room for that center channel on the mantle, and honestly, I think it would look stupid. We already have a powered Velodyne sub, so we're good on deep bass.

I have three options, in order of preference:

1. Use the CC-370 as the center speaker and place it to one side of the fireplace. Will this make much of a difference in imaging (really, any worse than having a center channel above the TV)?

2. Run a hybrid system - with the Paradigm 9se's as mains, ceiling surrounds and an in-wall center speaker (preferably a close timbre match with the 9se's). I have read some remarks that this turned out fairly well for people, and a Paradigm AMS 300 or 350 was used as a center channel. Thoughts?

3. Run two full systems - one for audio with the two towers, and one for movies with in-wall speakers for front/mains and in-ceiling speakers for rears. I have a 5.1 receiver and a 2-channel integrated amp, so i could probably pull this off. Would you all have speaker recommendations for something not too expensive, but not garbagey. This would be most expensive, but probably the least trade-off in sound between movies and music.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom