parallel SE45's...or who knows???

gonefishin

Originally posted by Rob
Gone,

Why not run four, 45's in parallel SE. You would get the same characteristic tone of that tube and the output xfmer could actually be better all things considered because the plate Z and turns ratio would be much lower by a factor of four. Less capacitance inside the windings. Mind you the better xfmer might change the tone for the better over a single 45 too!

Hell, if I had a box of 45's kicking around I'd be willing to try it! :)

Rob...thanks for the suggestion. But I think I'd be better off building a kit or from a schematic. Although I do like your thinking :D I just don't know what to do just yet. I'm still considering the idea of the LMD 300B/10Y amp...but I'm just not sure if that's the direction to head. I like the 300B with selected drivers...but I really like the sound them darn 45's have. To date...I haven't heard a 2A3 I particularly went nutz over (just my opinion)

So I suppose I'll just wait a bit. If there's one thing I am...it's slow...but I try to use that to my advantage ;)

I had this posted in Sas's 2A3 thread(in the tube forum)...but I didn't want to take his thread over.

thanks>>>>>

You know...the more I'm thinking about this...I think it may be the right decision to build two amps. A SET 45 amp for most of the time...and perhaps a gainclone (or something) for once in a while "near live levels" ;)

I have heard a couple 45 amps...but would like to get others opinions on what you've thought about different designs (circuitry) that you have listened to (or built)...including what driver tubes have you tried with the 45...and what were your thoughts ? Why did you decide against one driver tube over the other. Are there any driver tubes you'd still like to try?

thanks

I heard today that the circuit for building a parrallell SE 7591 stereo amp on the chassis of a Dyna St-70 is looking very promising. I am hoping to have the prototype built in time for the TexBotHed meet Jan. 17th. I don't know if volume pots is part of the package, but I hope so. The EH 7591s might not be quite as good as the old ones but they do sound very good and dissipate much better with the coin bases.

Back
Top Bottom