Parasound HCA 2200 vs 2200ii

I owned the HCA 2200II for a year. Good amp. Apparently the difference was in a bit of circuitry and parts (I think). Output power did not change. I recall the original 2200 was not enthusiastically received, but the 2200II was. IIRC John Curl worked on the second one, not the first. I also had the 1200II and it was excellent also.

that is correct. After the not so great reviews on the 2200, Parasound asked John Curl to do a new version. Circuitry is different, but the big difference is in the current delivery and added bypass caps. the mark 2 version is completely dual mono all the way to the power switch. The Mark 1 version had a single transformer with multiple secondaries. If you can find a mark 2 version, its a better sounding amp, and has much more current reserves to drive lower impedence loads.

With all Parasound amps from that era, now though, the Taiwan mfgr used some not so great Caps which have a tendency to dry out prematurely. So you may be in for some re-cap work regardless of which model you end up with.

The 2200 mk2 version also lends itself very well to audio upgrades. I have upgraded two now, and they are amazing sounding amps with the upgrades.

best

that is correct. After the not so great reviews on the 2200, Parasound asked John Curl to do a new version. Circuitry is different, but the big difference is in the current delivery and added bypass caps. the mark 2 version is completely dual mono all the way to the power switch. The Mark 1 version had a single transformer with multiple secondaries. If you can find a mark 2 version, its a better sounding amp, and has much more current reserves to drive lower impedence loads.

With all Parasound amps from that era, now though, the Taiwan mfgr used some not so great Caps which have a tendency to dry out prematurely. So you may be in for some re-cap work regardless of which model you end up with.

The 2200 mk2 version also lends itself very well to audio upgrades. I have upgraded two now, and they are amazing sounding amps with the upgrades.

best
Hi, I have this great amp (2200MKII) can you give me more details about the upgrades. Regards

Back
Top Bottom