Parasound P6 preamp

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by mike0565, Oct 25, 2018.

1. mike0565

mike0565 ADS speaker nut Subscriber

Has anyone here listened to or purchased the new P6 preamp from Parasound? I have the P5 and in my opinion it's an extremely nice sounding pre. Parasound is claiming they upgraded the Dac, improved the phono stage, and also improved the volume control. They also added a 2nd optical. Would love to hear it, have you??

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

If I were looking for a preamp in the $1500 range that would be the one I would look at first. Sorry, I haven’t heard it. I was using the P5 for a garage system for a couple of years before I went with an integrated amp (Rotel).

3. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

Some time has passed since the P6 release so I thought I’d bump this thread.

I’ve become a big fan of the P5, especially after comparing it to the Schiit Saga. The Saga was nice, but in my system I could not achieve the same depth to the sound stage that the P5 provided, so the Saga was returned.

With the new volume design and better dac(among many other improvements), the P6 surprised me as I didn’t see it coming. I’m pretty surprised actually that Parasound has been so busy in upgrading several models.

The classic line 2100 preamp was replaced and in the Halo line the A21, A23, A52,(brought back),Hint, and P5 were all updated.

An all new amp, the JC 5 was also released. I haven’t kept up on the other lines, but it’s obvious that Parasound has been busy.

That said, has anyone tried out the P 6?

4. Pythonman

Pythonman Active Member

The P5 is fantastic. The phono section is extremely nice but a little low as far as gain. Haven’t used the DAC on mine since it won’t jive with my current outdated CD player. For the price increase I wouldn’t run out to upgrade my P5 for the P6 but I would definitely recommend the P6 for someone buying new since the P5 is no longer being made. I already made a huge upgrade to the phono stage by purchasing the Parasound JC3+ so if I wanted to do a similar upgrade to the P5 I would probably just get the JC2 preamp and call it a day.

5. BobHol

BobHol Old fart Subscriber

Happy to see all the love for the P5. I just "won" a used one on ebay. I have a stand alone Topping DAC that I will probably continue to use since the DAC in the P5 is a bit dated. But I do plan on trying the P5's DAC. I am using an old Radio Shack phono-pre. So I plan on giving the phono section of the P5 a thorough try out. My current preamp is a NAD AVR (with pre-outs) from about 2004. If I had to use the NAD for the rest of my life I'd be content, its sound is fine to my ears. But the NAD is big, ugly and heavy. I'll keep the NAD in place for multi-channel by using the HT Bypass on the P5.

As far as I can tell the P6 is an incremental change from the P5. Better DAC is easy to believe but everything else will be very subtle I suspect.

Pythonman likes this.
  6. homebrew

homebrew Active Member

I have a P5 and it's a great pre amp. Very versatile. Some have called it the Swiss army knife of pre amps. However, I added a Mo-Fi Studio deck turntable and Studio phono pre amp and it was a noticeable improvement.

Please register to disable this ad.