Parasound's new Halo integrated

Too smooth, as in lacking detail, definition?
J

Don't want to dominate this thread, since I didn't start it. But having now lived with the integrated for a few weeks, I can offer some observations along those lines. When I first put the Parasound into my system the first thing I noticed was a fullness in the bass that hadn't been there with preamp/amp it replaced. This change initially also gave me the impression that there was a diminution in treble extension and detail. But then I sat down for a good listen and found that features like cymbal brushes, rosin sounds on bowed strings and breath sounds on flutes were there in spades. Moreover, the fullness in the bass was accompanied by an increase in details in sounds such as the thwack of a kick drum or tympani. I think that one of the things that has continued to impress me so far is that the details at both ends well survive decreases in volume and listening level - something I haven't heard with every amp driving planars.

LarryRS

Jeff

Are you looking specifically for and integrated and what is your budget limit. Also in case you don't know the ESS 9018 Dac chip in that unit is not the one from the Reference line. That is the 9018k2m chip designed for mobile applications. Don't know what or if there are sound differences other than the power of the chip itself.

The technical specifications sheet available on the ESS site calls the K2M the "ESS SABRE32 Reference Series 9018K2M". So, although it is among the chips that can be used in mobile applications, it is in the Reference line.

LarryRS

The technical specifications sheet available on the ESS site calls the K2M the "ESS SABRE32 Reference Series 9018K2M". So, although it is among the chips that can be used in mobile applications, it is in the Reference line.

LarryRS

Larry,
Thanks for that, and don't worry about dominating the thread. Keep your observations coming.
Jeff

Larry

Like I said I have looked at the specs and talked to the CEO of a company that uses both. The architecture is the same of both units, but they are different in terms of their power implementation requirements. If that were not true you couldn't use the 9018k2m in a unit the size of a Classic iPod. They are listed on the charts you are referring to as members of different families. One is Sabre 32 Reference and the other is Mobile Sabre 2M. If you like and are proud of your Halo Integrated that is fine and I am glad for you, but there are other alternatives that the OP and others may be interested in looking at. I am not pushing one over the other as I have not heard any of them, but I personally wouldn't tie myself to a unit with a built in Dac as that is the part of an integrated subject to change the most quickly. There are many different "half size" separates on the market that take up the same space.

Larry

Like I said I have looked at the specs and talked to the CEO of a company that uses both. The architecture is the same of both units, but they are different in terms of their power implementation requirements. If that were not true you couldn't use the 9018k2m in a unit the size of a Classic iPod. They are listed on the charts you are referring to as members of different families. One is Sabre 32 Reference and the other is Mobile Sabre 2M. If you like and are proud of your Halo Integrated that is fine and I am glad for you, but there are other alternatives that the OP and others may be interested in looking at. I am not pushing one over the other as I have not heard any of them, but I personally wouldn't tie myself to a unit with a built in Dac as that is the part of an integrated subject to change the most quickly. There are many different "half size" separates on the market that take up the same space.

Please bring up the technical specifications sheet for the 9018K2M. You will find that it is called the ESS SABRE32 Reference Series 9018K2M. Bring up the reference sheet for the 9016K2M and it will be called the Ultra 9016K2M. The mobile chips have Reference, Ultra, and Premiere series, as do the non-mobile chips. Has nothing to do with being proud of an amp. Just a factual reference.

Larry

Here are the spec sheets, read them for yourself. I am going to bow out now as you can't seem to stop defending your purchase, which is fine. I never said they didn't sound the same with the same power supply, but they won't have that if one is in an integrated and one is in a stand alone DAC with a separate power supply from the amp and preamp. Seems pretty clear to me that they are the same, but different.

http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC

Larry

Here are the spec sheets, read them for yourself. I am going to bow out now as you can't seem to stop defending your purchase, which is fine. I never said they didn't sound the same with the same power supply, but they won't have that if one is in an integrated and one is in a stand alone DAC with a separate power supply from the amp and preamp. Seems pretty clear to me that they are the same, but different.

http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC

That is the page with the summary charts. Click on any chip number and it will bring up the technical sheet for that particular chip. Here is the one for the 9018K2M:

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9018-2M PB v2.1 141016.pdf

I'm not saying they aren't different either - nor am I defending anything. Only providing evidence for what series they are in.

Too smooth, as in lacking detail, definition?
J

that was my concern when i heard the setup but it was with goldenear triton 5 speakers, which may be the reason for the overly smooth (but still very nice) sound.
it was playing hi-res digital and it sounded smoother than vinyl. quite impressive. my worry is that it would sound too smooth with vinyl source.
i also heard the amp driving KEF LS50 speakers in a large room and it too sounded smooth and quite honestly did lack some detail. however this could sound better than a more aggressive setup in one's listening space.

These comments from people who have listened for a few minutes or haven't listened at all to the Halo Integrated should be disregarded. How can you judge a product that way?? You need an extended listen before chiming in. Go and read the reviews in some of the trade magazines first if you need an expert opinion.

What 'many people' are you referring to exactly?? Did you take a poll?? Sorry, I don't agree, and that's a scientific fact,

Read all the reviews and sprung for the halo integrated - sounds very good with goldenear triton one speakers (another value leader) great combo

It is a fact. Habituation to tastes, etc. are known. Hearing is no different. You can disagree - it is fine but there are plenty of papers on the subject. It is the audiophile who feels disturbed when this subject is broached.
I disagree when you give no proof. Saying there are 'papers' on the subject doesn' t cut the mustard.

I bought a Parasound HINT ( integrated amp) from a local dealer with the understanding that when I got it home and should I not care for its sound signature with my speakers and in my room, I could return it within one week for a full refund.
It sounded great right out of the box. Best sound I have had with my current speakers/sub and room environment. Previous system was an all tube system, separates with about 70 watts per channel using KT88 tubes.
Did I say the HINT has oodles of power? Yes it does. Excellent bass management with a dedicated sub output and front panel fine adjustment of the sub output. Plus bass and treble controls with an override switch, and a nice DAC.
The only thing is, the one I brought home for trial was black and I opted for the silver face version. Got that one a week later and have now had it for 10 days. It's a keeper.

Sensory adaptation is a known phenomenon and a SCIENTIFIC FACT that audiophiles don't believe as it flies in the face of 'break-in phenomenon' they believe in and that cannot be measured.
In my experience, it's very difficult to try and change someone's world view, even when presented with scientific facts. If anything, the person usually hunkers down and becomes more defiant as their world view has been threatened.

Science is cool.

I bought a Parasound HINT ( integrated amp) from a local dealer with the understanding that when I got it home and should I not care for its sound signature with my speakers and in my room, I could return it within one week for a full refund.
It sounded great right out of the box. Best sound I have had with my current speakers/sub and room environment. Previous system was an all tube system, separates with about 70 watts per channel using KT88 tubes.
Did I say the HINT has oodles of power? Yes it does. Excellent bass management with a dedicated sub output and front panel fine adjustment of the sub output. Plus bass and treble controls with an override switch, and a nice DAC.
The only thing is, the one I brought home for trial was black and I opted for the silver face version. Got that one a week later and have now had it for 10 days. It's a keeper.

Good to hear, Parasound makes some really good sounding gear. What speakers did you pair it with?

Back
Top Bottom