Parks Audio Budgie Phono Preamp

I know this is an older thread but I read through it when I was making up my decision about getting a Budgie so it seemed appreciate. I pulled the trigger on one about a month ago. I wanted to really put it through the paces before I commented on it. I think it is phenomenal. Shannon was great to work with and answered all my questions. I like the fact that it is a true tube design and not just a solid state pre with window dressing tubes. I also like the exacta loading feature. I run a Pioneer 510-a with a Denon 110 cart through a Sansui 8080-db to Zu Omens. I always thought is sounded pretty good although I know that the Denon wasn't being maximized with the MM internal preamp on my Sansui. The Budgie fixed that. The difference was immediate -- creating drool worthy sounds out of my system.....which again, sounded pretty good to begin with. There was some so low surface noise that I had not noticed before when I first hooked up the budgie, I was using some crappy interconnects but I had a pair ordered from ZU that came in a couple of days later and cleared that right up. I have been churning through all my favorite albums any spare minute I can. Love this preamp.

Last edited:
start rolling tubes and it'll melt your face :)

I can personally reccomend Amperex Bugle boy 6dj8, and Mullard 6dj8

Hands down the best phono pre I've ever had.

yes, I have heard really good things about both. I can't wait to start rolling tubes but I really do like the Electro Harmonix that came with the unit.

I know it's an old thread but why start another when this is already here. I know nothing about Tubes, etc. Currently my Project phono Box SE has died and I was recommended to get the Budgie. I'm keeping my AT150MLx cartridge as it's only got 100hrs on it. Will this cart be fine in the Budgie? What about Tubes, how long do they last and can replacements be gotten easily? I assume swapping in different Tubes alter sound of the Amp? Thanks in advance.

I know it's an old thread but why start another when this is already here. I know nothing about Tubes, etc. Currently my Project phono Box SE has died and I was recommended to get the Budgie. I'm keeping my AT150MLx cartridge as it's only got 100hrs on it. Will this cart be fine in the Budgie? What about Tubes, how long do they last and can replacements be gotten easily? I assume swapping in different Tubes alter sound of the Amp? Thanks in advance.
Over 3 years now with my Budgie. Hundreds of hours on it and still have not rolled different tubes into it. Shannon can give you the recommended settings for your AT cartridge. preamp tubes can and do last many many years. 6922 6DJ8 variants are readily available and really not that expensive.

Go for it.

Mike

Love the Budgie! Had mine now for over a year and rolled up to the Aperex BB tubes. I run it with a Sota Sapphire and Sumiko Blackbird. It has a wonderful sound no matter what type of music I play! Its like syrup, smooth and free flowing!

I've had mine for a couple of years and it is a good performer. It has a warm sound, well yes it is a tube preamp, and it is very easy to listen to. I've used a variety of MM/MI cartridges with the Budgie and its companion SUT for MC carts with good results. I rolled NOS Amperex 7308s into it and they definitely stepped up the performance. I like the convenience of the top mounted dip switch to adjust loading.

Thank You Davron94 / AvFan for the feedback. Looks like I'm going for a Budgie then ;
It's very enjoyable and should work well with your Audio Technica since the it has a low input capacitance (50pf). That alone makes the Budgie very flexible as well as the switch resistive loading easily accessed.

I'm just starting some recording of a variety of my mm carts to dial in loading and comparing

I just got one of these a few weeks ago and I'm in looooooove. It'll work fine with AT carts - Shannon includes a sheet of suggested loadings and ATs are on there. I just played around with loadings for my Empire 4000d/iii and got it to sound more open than it did at the standard 47k ohm setting used in most phono stages. Playing with loadings is easy and can be done on the fly so you can better here the differences. This is the seventh phono stage I've tried and by far my favorite (including two integrated stages).

6922s and variants are easy to come by. The included Electro Haramonix sound good. I swapped in some Matsushitas and they were ok. Tried some Amprexes and it was a nice improvement. Have some Valvos I'll try next. The new issue Genlex are also said to work well.

Bottom line - if it's in your budget, it's a no-brainer.

I've owned one for going on 3 years now. Adjustable loading, roll tubes to your heart's content, it's hard to beat.

Last edited:
I've had one for about 2 years now and love it. Shannon gave me the settings to use based on my system and I rolled in a pair of Tele's.
It's a disease though and I would also like to try some Mullards and Amperex Bugle Boys.

LOL, It's a slippery slope. I go between some Tungsram E88CC's, Bugle Boy ECC88's and Siemens 7308's. Have a pair of still sealed NOS Tele PCC88's that I want to try some day.

Just got the Budgie today. Blows away my pro-Ject, Out of the Box!! After a couple of hour playing, it's warming up nice. First Class service from Shannon!!! Nicely packaged, setup info included. Best money i've ever spent on an upgrade to my setup. Comes preloaded at 47k but I've set it to 0110 (36k) with my AT 150 MLx and sounds superb. I swithered for around 6 months on getting this and it's not going to let you down.

I recently installed a new pair of The rebrands JJ Telefunken "Black Diamonds" per Shannon's recommendation. I had bought a Nos pair of Genalex gold lion 6922's but they were to microphonic causing all kinda of noise. When I popped in the Telef's i was so relieved because i honestly thought i had an isolation issue with my TT but apparently it was the GGL 6922's....I definitely like the telef's over the stock EH's. The EH's are a worthy tube for the Budgie however and if your not a tube roller you will most likely be happy with just the EH stock tubes.

It's funny how what goes around comes around, but shortly after mty last post nearly 2 years ago, I purchased a rogue ares magnum to upgrade my budgie. A year ago I ended up getting divorced and ultimately had to sell my budgie, puffin, and rogue ares magnum to settle some post divorce debts.

Two days ago I won an auction and have another budgie on the way. After enjoying the Rogue ares for almost a year I had to admit that the budgie, at almost 7 times less the cost, was able to get me 90+% of what the ares offered so it was a no Brainer to order another budgie as my starting point in the tube phono preamp game.

Ultimately, I will acquire another tube phono pre with a stand alone power supply,; and until I can move back up the chain, the budgie will minimize the upgrade-itis that I'm sure to hsve.

Who'd have thought. I was getting this low level thump thump thump pulsing sound. Turns out it was, I assume, the tubes picking up the 2.4Ghz signal from the router. ASUS AC68U & Genelex Gold Lion Tubes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom