Part Express Ultimax 18".....better place for the plate amp.

Duckzilla

"Laugh it up fuzzball"
I recently took the plunge and bought a Parts Express Ultimax 18" sub w/dsp. The problem I had was I didn't like the idea of putting a fan inside the enclosure (PE states there's enough leakage to cool the plate amp). Not being one of those people who leave well enough alone, I came up with another way of doing things. Took a few minutes looking on eBay to find a nice, steel, vented and rack-mountable enclosure, cut out the top for the amp, and the front for the display, added a couple of binding posts for the output. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC00065.JPG
    DSC00065.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00067.JPG
    DSC00067.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00066.JPG
    DSC00066.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 123
Nicely done! I have one of their sub plate amps sitting on the floor behind the rack. It's held up vertically by two phenolic skids under it.

Nice job! I built wood cabinets for my two subwoofers plate amps with fans added. I didn't want the amps in the subwoofers cabinets.

Thanks guys. I also think that in the enclosure sensitive electronics would take a beating....just me.

clean install.

what enclosure did you decide on for the ultimax?

killer driver btw, They were my #2 choice after the stereo Integrity 18"s I picked up. The SI have a larger VC (4" vs 3") and higher power handling.. but was a very limited production run. The ultimax is my go to driver now.

clean install.

what enclosure did you decide on for the ultimax?

killer driver btw, They were my #2 choice after the stereo Integrity 18"s I picked up. The SI have a larger VC (4" vs 3") and higher power handling.. but was a very limited production run. The ultimax is my go to driver now.
I just used the 4cf flat packed one that came in the bundle. I'm doing a custom "stone" finish, like a brown textured granite, but wont get to it for a couple of weeks. I'm adding the PE adjustable spikes to it as well.

Last edited:
Excellent! I've always thought it makes perfect sense to mount a plate amp in it's own separate enclosure. If it dies it's easy to replace not to mention the fact that placement is not dependent on the location of an outlet. I like the class D plate amps as they make very little heat so fans and venting are not an issue.

P7300001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom