Parts Express Vifa/JBL Sale

Thanks Dan,

A very nice-looking speaker for the price. My order shipped Monday, I'll let you know what I think of them.

-Ed

Ed, I think your going to love these. I received mine and at first I wasn't expecting it to be such a small speaker for a 4.5" driver, but the sound is very big. Doesn't sound like a little speaker and although it doesn't have much bass, it does have more than I expected for a speaker that size. I want to spend a few hours more listening to them and breaking them in but I'm already very pleased and impressed. I haven't been able to go through all of my standards yet so I can judge them better, but they are very clean and clear sounding. I can't wait to try them in their own boxes.

Dan,
What kind of enclosure are you planning to try them in? A pair of mini-monitors like the LS5/3a would be sweet. I have always wanted to build a pair so it will be interesting to see what you have planned.

john

I have a bunch of these and also have the plans from PE's website that one of the members made up. The drivers are now $6 but still a deal.

I had thought about that too, but given the bass response which only goes to about 60hz or flat to 200hz I was considering an MTMW or MMTMMW configuration. Using four of these per side probably. I have a pair of silk dome tweeters similar to the ScanSpeak 9500's and that way bass can be decent and with an additional woofer it would go down to probably 20-25hz or so, depending on which woofer I choose. I have several 10" woofers and even some dual 8" I can put in. Those would work well with them as long as I crossed them over correctly. This isn't exactly what I had in mind but somewhat close, at least gives you a more visual clue only with 4 of these drivers per side.

http://maxhawk.bravepages.com/speaker/projects/vifatower/vifatower.htm

Oh and John...I got the tuner...thank you so much!!!! It's outstanding...I haven't listened to it much yet, but so far...it's very nice.

Back
Top Bottom