PAS "clone" help needed

ctjetta

It's not a perfect world
Subscriber
This has been a project that's been sitting on the shelf, as is often the case for me.

I had purchased from Tube 4 Hi-FI (at the time) an Akido line and a PAS PC6 phono kit, among other items including a new copy of the chassis. I've yet to tackle any of it.

I am currently looking for the appropriate volume, balance controls and selector switch. I wish to use a stepped attenuator. I do not plan on tone controls.

Given the configuration of the PAS layout are there any restrictions as to what I need consider for controls in terms of size or compatibility? I would like to stay with the original specs of 250k for the volume control, et al.

Is there anything anyone would suggest as particularly successful in this type of application?

Would the 6 position switch at Erhard audio be sufficient or is there a better alternative?

Opinions, comments, and questions are welcomed.

The one I did a couple years ago I used a ceramic 5 position selector, 100K volume and 250K Balance [never hooked up].
The dact type volume pots are nice.

VTA_pas.jpg

If it's anything like my VTA SP-9 you have been missing out. Get it off the shelf and build it. I picked mine up off of CL for dirt cheap in the nice aluminum case with the remote option. It made a nice improvement over a well respected SS preamp that I was using.
When I got mine the seller had removed all the good 12AX7 tubes and subbed in JJ tubes. At first it sounded terrible but I pulled out my stash of vintage tubes and it made it top notch. Teles and mil spec Sylvanias. So budget for quality tubes.

BillWojo

I could really use some suggestions as to what stepped attenuator I should consider. Maybe you only know what to avoid.

Any input is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom