Pass X150 test drive

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Sonance'84, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:12 PM.

1. Sonance'84

Sonance'84 moe.ron Subscriber

I brought it home for a "try before you buy" demo. I'd like to make this the anchor for a new system, one that would take a whole lot to beat, and make me stop searching for that last little bit of audio bliss (until I hit the lottery). Here's a couple quick pics...
    20190210_062316.jpg 20190210_120801.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    Hawkeye83, TimF, DC and 2 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

Wow - keep us posted on your eval.

That's a serious piece of kit, for sure!

3. Sonance'84

The Adcom GFP-750 is on loan as well, just so I didn't have to use my integrated amp's preouts. I'll probably tag my integrated in though, so I can use the phono section, which the Adcom lacks.

So far, I'm impressed. I'm using a high-pass crossover for my mains, so I doubt the amp leaves class A.

4. Sonance'84

Who else has Pass amps and what do you use for preamp?

5. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

XA-30.5 here, fed by a McIntosh C220

Wildcat, onemug and Sonance'84 like this.
  6. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have an X250. Owned an X150. Great amps! I used the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A and now 3B as my preamp. I would be partial to a decent tube preamp to go with the Pass amps. IMHO

Sonance'84 likes this.

7. onemug

onemug AK Subscriber Subscriber

I own 2 of his amps. They are the best of the SS types I have ever owned and I'm a tube lover. I get the best sound using tube preamps in front of them.

They have been 'ultra' reliable during the 10ish years I've owned them. Enjoy!

Sonance'84 likes this.
  8. jblnut

jblnut Don't Overthink It Subscriber

They're on my radar for sure. Have a Pass Labs Xono 2-chassis phono preamp and love it to death. The build quality is head and shoulders above any other gear I have.

Looking forward to your impressions !

jblnut

Sonance'84 likes this.
  9. TimF

TimF Super Member

I enjoyed a Pass X-150 along with X-1 preamp for several years running Magnepan/subs. Both of the Pass Labs can be found used fairly reasonable these days, and generally give up very little to the newer models, subject to one’s own opinion of course!

Sonance'84 likes this.
  10. Sonance'84

Balanced or unbalanced...does it make a big difference?

I'm going to grab some xlr cables so I can try running balanced from the Adcom. Using single-ended inputs at the moment.

11. TimF

TimF Super Member

As always, the balanced/unbalanced thing can be open ended. I Used, and still do, DH Labs BL1 interconnects, I happened to own both balanced and unbalanced at the time I had my Pass gear. The main reason was my amp sat in between my Maggies, and the gear rack was about 13 feet away. For the fun of it, I tried both situations, same gear, same cabling other than connections. I could hear no differences. While it was fairly quick to change over between the pairs, who knows how much that space of time in between is enough to skew the testing.

My current gear was designed as balanced circuitry front to back. In these circumstances, I utilize balanced connections/cabling, and still use the same DH Labs. Again, can I hear the difference? Very subtle at best(Maybe I should be called old cloth ears...). If I was in an electrically noisy environment, and much longer cabling than my 16 footers, maybe it might be more apparent, or not....These days, I find myself not really caring, I am beyond all the foo and muss of it all and just get on with listening to my music. But I realize there are many that still enjoy these types of tests, or chin stroking etc. trying to figure it all out, and that is okay too! Go with what works and sounds best to your ears! Enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    Sonance'84 and onemug like this.

12. onemug

onemug AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe. Your ears will decide.

You will have to remove the jumpers from the XLR inputs when you use those cables. The jumpers need to go back in when/if you go back to RCA. Make a note of what holes they go in so you can replace them correctly.

Sonance'84 and TimF like this.
  13. Sonance'84

What about power cycling...do you let the amp & pre warm up a little before listening or leave powered on 24/7?

I don't think I noticed much difference between an hour warm-up or 48 hour warm up so far. It sounds great either way. I just wanted to make sure I'm listening to the amp at it's best while on this test drive. I appreciate all the replies.

14. TimF

TimF Super Member

On my X-150, I typically left it in standby until I wanted to listen, my preamp was left on all the time, other than storm season. It’s all what you are comfortable with and your ears.