Paul McGowan of PS Audio Speaks and Speaks

Tom Bombadil

AK Member
Paul McGowan, CEO of PS Audio, has released a number of short talks on various audio topics. Some of them are quite interesting.

You can look through them at this link: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paul+mcgowan

BTW: PS Audio is working on releasing a series of speakers based upon the late Arnie Nudell's designs. And the PS Audio M700 monoblock amplifier was recently placed on Stereophile's Class A Recommended list.

Topics include

Class D amps
High Efficiency speakers
Passive preamps
Equipment burn-in
Why do tubes sound different than transistors
Open Baffle speakers
and much more

Junior tasked the old man with this "giving back" exercise to keep him out of trouble (and PS Audio on track in developing the next generation of gizmos). The videos are 95% worthless; still, I never miss one.

I've been watching them. I think he post a daily video, answering viewers questions.

Junior tasked the old man with this "giving back" exercise to keep him out of trouble (and PS Audio on track in developing the next generation of gizmos). The videos are 95% worthless; still, I never miss one.
I haven't found them that noteworthy myself either.

oh this guy, lol.

I found a video of his when I was looking up various stuff on good bookshelf speaker recommendations.

naturally he recommended a bunch of stuff costing in the thousands of dollars :bigok:

edit:

lmao

he didn't even answer the question in this one and now I actually want to know why internally drivers can get away with "smaller" wires like was asked. I suspect it mostly has to do with distance, and shielding.

Last edited:
Personally, I've picked up a few useful tidbits through his videos. I watch most, unless the topic doesn't interest me. Lol.

he didn't even answer the question in this one and now I actually want to know why internally drivers can get away with "smaller" wires like was asked. I suspect it mostly has to do with distance, and shielding.
The resistance of a wire is proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its diameter, so a short wire can carry more current than a long wire of the same gauge.

In other words, to achieve the same resistance, you can use a short thin wire or a long fat wire.

Reactions: 0Hz
The resistance of a wire is proportional to its length and inversely proportional to its diameter, so a short wire can carry more current than a long wire of the same gauge.

In other words, to achieve the same resistance, you can use a short thin wire or a long fat wire.
While I understand that concept, I've heard often that 14g wire is pretty much good up to a 50' run without significant degradation. But with the price of wire, and especially goofy boutique wire, why wouldn't speaker manufacturers just get a few feet of I dunno, 10g or 8g wire for internals, so at least they could show that off for literally a couple bucks. I'd think if you were going to market a speaker that was even $500 a pair or more, you'd do this and post pics to your site just to stand out.
Anyone who understands electronics would know that it was mostly snake oil, but it would be an actual thing.
I've honestly determined when I get to doing DIY stuff I'm going to go at least 10g for internals, if for nothing more than piece of mind.

While I understand that concept, I've heard often that 14g wire is pretty much good up to a 50' run without significant degradation. But with the price of wire, and especially goofy boutique wire, why wouldn't speaker manufacturers just get a few feet of I dunno, 10g or 8g wire for internals, so at least they could show that off for literally a couple bucks. I'd think if you were going to market a speaker that was even $500 a pair or more, you'd do this and post pics to your site just to stand out.
Anyone who understands electronics would know that it was mostly snake oil, but it would be an actual thing.
Without getting into a cable debate, there are various reasons why you might choose to use heavy duty external speaker cables.

But there's no technical reason to use heavy duty internal speaker cables. Doing so wouldn't be mostly snake oil, it would be entirely snake oil -- and more costly to manufacture, if only slightly -- and everyone would know it. The risk of harm to the manufacturer's reputation would be greater than any slight "benefit" gained from fooling a naive buyer or two.

Eh, I know you aren't looking for a debate, but I do think any of the snake oil that can be applied to heavier internal cables almost always apply to external cables in a non-professional environment.

TBH, I think the whole "cable" thing could be cleared up with speakon's and balanced connections. But I surely don't profess to know too much outside of my own humble sphere.

Eh, I know you aren't looking for a debate, but I do think any of the snake oil that can be applied to heavier internal cables almost always apply to external cables in a non-professional environment.
Possibly. I make no comment on the electrical value of heavy-duty external speaker cables. Even if there are no genuinely audible benefits, for some there is visually-pleasing aesthetic value in having thick (or is it "thicc"?) cables with ornate cast connectors and woven sleeves.

There is no such benefit to sticking them inside the speaker box.

Possibly. I make no comment on the electrical value of heavy-duty external speaker cables. Even if there are no genuinely audible benefits, for some there is visually-pleasing aesthetic value in having thick (or is it "thicc"?) cables with ornate cast connectors and woven sleeves.

AHA! (honestly just for dramatic and comedic effect)
What about OPEN BAFFLES MR. PANTS?!?!

Oh! It would be spectacular if my Advents had a small window on the back, and a blue LED to let me and my guests peer inside and look at a wire or two. And if the batting was phosphorescent...

Ah, er... Are the internal cables on OB speakers really internal? Or are they, uh, pseudo-external?

Discuss.
TBH, I think it would just complete the look of the thing. Otoh,it's not like an inch of MDF is a Faraday cage or something.

I find him obnoxious.

He's a nerd. Paul shows his excitement for what he loves. I appreciate that, and read his blog on a daily basis. I watch his videos when the subject interests me. I'd watch move of the video posts, but don't always have the time to do so.

He's a nerd. Paul shows his excitement for what he loves. I appreciate that, and read his blog on a daily basis. I watch his videos when the subject interests me. I'd watch move of the video posts, but don't always have the time to do so.

He spouts a lot of bullshit.

(I'm a nerd too. That has nothing to do with it.)

Back
Top Bottom