PayPal doesn’t protect the seller when the item is picked up

Same happened to me however deal happened through ebay and paypal had access to all buyers emails regarding pickup. They sided with me no questions asked. If doing deal via CL and buyer wishes to do paypal I will take a nominal deposit that way buy the majority balance must be in cash. Better to be out 50.00 deposit vs 500.00 total cost!!

Better to be out 50.00 deposit vs 500.00 total cost!!

Good thinking. What's the 'look-back' period for PP now? It was 180 days at some point?

Seems to me 30 days is ample and any more is just inviting abuse.

ETA: Looked it up. It's still 180 days.

I bought a power amp that way--the seller had it listed on eBay, I wanted to buy it, so we agreed I would pick it up at his house, so he cancelled his eBay listing and saved the money. I still paid through PayPal though. Probably can't do this anymore--pretty sad that they are now monitoring messages so closely. Many sellers are happy to do a local sale for cash.

I sold a $20 item locally for cash...once. I got an email threatening a long list of reduced services and visibility. And, they charged fees. I always stated we will complete through ebay and never mentioned cash. So, it is a Catch 22. Sell through ebay and pay the fees, which is a minor problem compared to the buyer protection rules that cause lost sleep. Or, avoid that mess and get a strike. If there was a viable alternative to the ebay monopoly for picker stuff, I would jump ship in a heart beat. Maybe I should be asking if Amazon is viable for pickers?

If there was a viable alternative to the ebay monopoly for picker stuff...?

I now use ebay only for items that fit in a USPS flat-rate box. Anything else goes on CL. It takes longer and the net is lower but it is a clean transaction without angst. I've been on ebay since '98 and have gone from being a rabid proponent to just ambivalent. CL is surprisingly active though and I get repeat buyers. Some I contact directly now if I have something in their wheelhouse. You do have to wade through a lot of chaff but you are way more in control of the outcome so a win for me, maybe you too.

Good Luck!

This has turned out to be a timely thread as I have just sold a pair of speakers for local pick up only . The guy is about 3 hours away . He seems to have a great record on Ebay . Over 1800 transactions and no negative FB . He paid me right away thru Paypal . Now , I am wondering if I should tell him cash only and take his Paypal payment back ?

That's a good plan. ATM's are everywhere.

Remember a seller can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

GLWTS

Last edited:
If you don't like the rules of the game, then don't play it.

Stop flipping gear or continue doing so and assume the risks. Ain't NO ONE going to become a rich man doing this, so what are you doing it for?

This has turned out to be a timely thread as I have just sold a pair of speakers for local pick up only . The guy is about 3 hours away . He seems to have a great record on Ebay . Over 1800 transactions and no negative FB . He paid me right away thru Paypal . Now , I am wondering if I should tell him cash only and take his Paypal payment back ?

I think that would naturally arouse suspicion on his part. My feeling is that you should go through with the deal exactly as specified. However I suppose there's no harm in proposing alternatives, so long as they are agreeable to him. Just keep in mind that eBay advises against it, and he will know this.

Last edited:

I now use ebay only for items that fit in a USPS flat-rate box.

If you don't already, be sure to check out USPS Regional Rate boxes A and B (each in two configs so 4 sizes all together). Cheaper to ship than the retail versions with better fits for various gear.

Just take pictures of the transaction or even a video and get him to sign a receipt of merchandise. That should be enough proof to show ebay in case something goes south.

Share your experience?

Do not release speakers until buyer gives you positive feedback which indicates receipt of item in good condition. Also, make some sort of receipt that he signs for and make him show driver's license and compare signature.

Do not release speakers until buyer gives you positive feedback which indicates receipt of item in good condition. Also, make some sort of receipt that he signs for and make him show driver's license and compare signature.
OK , thanks .

OK . The driver for the guy who bought the speakers is gonna come pick them up on Wednesday . What should I ask for ?

IMHO this situation is starting to sound less than legit. Buying the speakers sight unseen and having someone else pick them up doesn't cook. Your are not going to be protected at all.

IMHO this situation is starting to sound less than legit. Buying the speakers sight unseen and having someone else pick them up doesn't cook. Your are not going to be protected at all.

I agree. Cancel the sale and tell the buyer to give his pickup guy the cash to pay you. I would be suspicious of someone with 1800 transactions and no negatives. That is highly unlikely. Just tell him with all the scams and hacked accounts going on in eBay these days, you would rather have cash on pickup. If he is legit, he will have no issues. Chances are you will never hear from him again.

When I said I was worried about scams , he said , " I've been burned lots of times. Trust me , I am not a scam guy ." I emailed him and said I would prefer cash . His move now .

Back
Top Bottom