PBS Television NOVA : Flying Supersonic about the SST

Flying Supersonic Preview
Preview: Season 45 Episode 13 | 26s

NOVA takes you inside the historic international race to develop the first supersonic airliner, the Concorde. Hear stories from those inside the choreographed effort to design and build Concorde in two countries at once—and the crew members who flew her. Then, follow Concorde’s legacy to a new generation of innovators reviving the dream of supersonic passenger travel today.

PBS Replay of the ( Flying Super Sonic ) the story about the SST.
Set your DVRs check your local PBS stations it's replaying at midnight Eastern here in the thumb of Michigan

It was a good episode of Nova. Interesting backstory on why the English & French collaborated plus the competition (industrial espionage) by the USSR.

Boeing's failure can clearly be laid at their grandiose plans to make it bigger, better and faster than the SSTs being developed elsewhere. They obviously forgot that you have to learn how to walk before you can run.

It was a good episode of Nova. Interesting backstory on why the English & French collaborated plus the competition (industrial espionage) by the USSR.

Boeing's failure can clearly be laid at their grandiose plans to make it bigger, better and faster than the SSTs being developed elsewhere. They obviously forgot that you have to learn how to walk before you can run.

My wife and I enjoyed the show - nice history of the Concorde.

I think, to some degree, Boeing was encouraged to not be successful. Given the black project development of the SR-71 and the fact that the Russians were stealing whatever they could, developing new SST technology openly was discouraged.

I grew up on Long Island (NY) about 15 miles from Kennedy Airport and remember the Concorde flying over twice a day, if I remember correctly once about 8:30 am and 3 pm. The nose was usually drooped and flying pretty slow. I'm sure there were lots of complaints about the noise but it only lasted a few seconds and it never bothered me.

Back
Top Bottom