1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

PC as source component

Discussion in 'PCs & Music Servers' started by RobV, May 26, 2005.

1. beanoil

beanoil That's not how this works

I tried Volumio one time before and was not impressed. Hard to work with IIRC, difficult to load, too much work for what you got.
    It changed. A new offering was put up around Christmas. Version 2.
    I was playing last night, threw a small 90GB OCZ SSD in the trusty HP, and unzipped a fresh copy of Volumio to a USB stick using Win32 Disk Imager.
    Booted from the USB, took about 3 minutes. Volumio found the Fulla Schiit, and my external drive of music without prompting, and I was up and rolling within 5 minutes.
    Better than Daphile, IMO, in the sense that after boot, Daphile needs remote access for control. Volumio can be controlled either way, from the host PC or remote.
    Installing to the hard drive took about 10 minutes, as it formats the drive, but after, boot is FAST, about 40 seconds to GUI.
    Very slick interface, nice display of the library, and I haven't even begun to tweak or massage the GUI.
    All in all, a nice package, and certainly (now) worthy of consideration as a standalone free player.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Daphile is headless - that is why it is nice. Tried Volumio -never been impressed with it.

Daphile took 2 minutes to load onto my HD, reboot, done.

3. FileFixer

FileFixer Well-Known Member

PC as source play music and send it via WiFi to H96 Pro Plus media player who running KODI media player and send music thru optical cable to Onkyo receive who have 192 kHz/24-Bit DAC. Everything from start to end is sent as digital without loss in data. No one equipment before Onkyo receiver does not convert any data and sent all as passthrough.

4. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

Reviewing this thread for options for a little Atom SBC I've been playing with. Spotted this comment about 8.1, and I have to agree. I'm a Win7 Pro user for desktop and all-in-one, but I have a little Win8.1 tablet* that I picked up secondhand for £25. It has a split personality; the boxy, 'Fisher-Price', touch-screen interface of Win10, and the conventional desktop interface of Win7. I use it in the latter mode as soon as I can...

With reference to this thread, I have MusicBee installed on the tablet, accessing my NAS SMB server via WiFi. That provides all the elements of a Digital Media System: DMS (server), DMC (controller) & DMR (renderer). I can carry it around the house, and use it to play to any of the DLNA renderers I have, or use the headphone output. There's a remote control app for MusicBee, too, that I've not tried.

It also has an HDMI port, and will drive a 1080P FullHD monitor/TV. You could stick to to the back of a TV (LCD goes off when HDMI in use). Bluetooth a mouse & keyboard to drive it...

*Microsoft were pushing Win8.1 tablets a few years ago (in an attempt to compete against Android, I think), and plenty of manufacturers came out with very similar Atom Z3735G 16G/32G Flash, 1G/2G RAM designs (probably using an MS/Intel reference design, they are so similar). These go for peanuts, secondhand (cheaper than Android tablets, or Kindle Fires). Coupled with a NAS & MusicBee, it's a very cheap way of creating a silent, low-power media server/player. I regret not picking up a neat little Toshiba Satellite Click Mini a few weeks back, at £50; tablet with click-on keyboard. I dithered, but could probably have got it for £40 if I'd haggled.

5. cpt_paranoia

Tried Volumio this evening. Installation onto an SSD requires a tiny bit of Linux work, but quickly done.

Booted first time and presented a GUI to the local VGA port, albeit in a rather strange position, partly off the screen. Setup was six simple steps.

Didn't find both my NAS drives, but easily added my music NAS manually, whereupon it requested access credentials. It started acanning, during which, folders were ordered randomly.

Once scanning was complete, folder order became alphabetical, and empty folders were removed. A reboot sorted the weird screen position.

The UI is rather pretty. Need to play with it to see how it works as a player and server. But, put it this way; I have secured the SSD back into the SBC case, and closed the case up...

One minor gripe so far, for a system intended to be easy to use, is the recommendation to use 'volumio.local' to access the web interface. This is an Apple protocol (although adopted as an IETF RFC), and isn't universally implemented; none of my Windows machines found it. Simply suggesting the alternative 'http://volumio' would get over this problem. I knew to do that because of my experience with the WD MyCloud web interface, where '.local' is used for MacOS/iOS devices, but not for Windows/Android devices.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    awillia6 likes this.
  6. cpt_paranoia

Well, the first major disappointment is that it isn't a server in the conventional sense; it does not provide a DLNA server that DLNA clients can use. It creates a server for its own player only. So it is a remotely-controllable player, rather than a server. I guess it describes itself accurately: "The open audiophile music player". Not 'server'.

Given that it will index locally-attached USB drives, it seems a bit odd not to provide a true server function, but there were mentions of performance issues on the RPi, running a server and playing music locally. But there is also an x86 image (which I'm running), so an option to enable a DLNA server would have seemed a more sensible choice.

An earlier version of Volumio did provide a DLNA server, but it seems that was removed with the release of v2. There was some discussion of a DLNA server plugin around 2016, but I can't find such a plugin through the internal plugin manager.

It WILL act as a DLNA renderer, though.

[edit: the RPi version allows the use of a Logitech Media Server plug-in]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    awillia6 likes this.

7. cpt_paranoia

It required booting off a usb stick, with an image on another usb drive, and then using dd to copy the image to the SSD.

Just trying to re-use the uSD card I used as the boot disk as above, and find that Win7 won't recognise it. Win8.1 has a go, and says it has formatted it, but the Disk Management tool is unable to sort out the partitions. Currently using a Linux live CD to run parted/mkfs on it to see if that will restore normal operation...

Not sure if this is merely coincidental...

linux to the rescue: parted & mkfs created a disk that Win7 recognised, and was able to formt to fat32. Currently copying RPi Volumio image using Win32DiskImager.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  8. cpt_paranoia

RPi Volumio working nicely, now with added I2S DAC Hat (PiFi DAC+).

Not having played much music through it, I ran a couple of consecutive album tracks through it tonight. Absolutely seamless gapless playback; not the merest stutter. Very impressive, when I'm used to PC media players and DLNA renderers putting quite a gap between tracks.

9. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Which is why I prefer an LMS (Logitech Music Server) environment. As for me, the last thing I want is a general purpose computer in my listening room attached to the AC.

I run the software from the office server which feeds several endpoints around and outside the house using a common digital audio and video library. Main system upstairs is fed by a 50' CAT6 ethernet cable feeding a microRendu player powered by an Uptone LPS-1 power supply. The garage system uses an RPi based system using an Allo DigiOne player. Oppo 103 in HT can access music or movies via DLNA. My iPhone/iPad can be used as either remotes or players. Apple Watch serves as remote for any.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. cpt_paranoia

A DLNA environment does exactly the same. The only problem is that Volumio doesn't provide a DLNA server, only a DLNA renderer.

Volumio does have an LMS plugin.

The single board computer I was playing with isn't a big, noisy PC with fans; it's a small, fanless Atom-based PC, that takes about 10W, and has an SSD, so not even the hum of a spinning HDD. The RPi is even smaller and lower power.

11. E-Stat

I'm delighted you got my point.

But still happily spews RFI garbage into the AC with its SMPS. :)

12. cpt_paranoia

I didn't really... Other DLNA systems are available. I'd already expressed my disappointment/surprise that Volumio doesn't provide a DLNA server (unlike MediaMonkey, MusicBee, BubbleUPnP, Kodi, etc etc).

Not if it's a well-designed supply, compliant with the many EMC standards...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_EMC_test_standards

The RPi itself has switching supplies on it, to generate the lower voltages from the 5V USB input, as does the little SBC. SMPSUs are everywhere. Some are badly designed. Some aren't.

13. E-Stat

Exactly why I chose LMS over Volumio!