PC as source component

Johncan said:
Not true... decode SHN, FLAC, ALAC, APE, or any other lossless format back to wav and you have a bit identical wav as the original files. The same does not apply to lossy formats like MP3 and AAC.
Are you saying that the encoded bits (fewer) retain data somehow that can be expanded to the original larger recorded data set? Perhaps like representing a continuous music note(s) as a single character, and introducing a new character for length? I suppose. I thought 'lossless' was a relative and overused term :) I imagine that that kind of coding system would introduce compromises as well, but if not, then the limitation would be lower than what the .wav can depict. (Exploiting limitations in the .wav format.) That appears like other compression alogorithms, just further above the same much lower demonstrated percievable threshold.

Sorry for the hijack, and thanks for the insight. Who's heard that Beringher firewire DAC? :D -sf

Last edited:
soundmotor said:
....I had started reasearching outboard soundcards to upgrade the output of a laptop used in a fixed location and had come across this unit but discarded it as a candidate because of the price. There were a few USB soundcards out there (Phillips, Creative, M-Audio) & a couple other tweaky ones.
These make me wonder if the Yamaha chip in there is similar or the same as that found in a good high end soundard or in the typical audio quality in the Macintosh. There would be the isolation of the electrical noise, but what kind of improvement would be seen? The consencous on the USB and PCMCIA cards for the Powerbook appeared to be that the analog output on those was just as good. I would like to compare these carefully soon, but relative to a G4 desktop (which might be hard to beat?) -sf

Last edited:
sydsfloyd67 said:
Are you saying that the encoded bits (fewer) retain data somehow that can be expanded to the original larger recorded data set? Perhaps like representing a continuous music note(s) as a single character, and introducing a new character for length? I suppose. I thought 'lossless' was a relative and overused term :) I imagine that that kind of coding system would introduce compromises as well, but if not, then the limitation would be lower than what the .wav can depict. (Exploiting limitations in the .wav format.) That appears like other compression alogorithms, just further above the same much lower demonstrated percievable threshold.

What I am saying, lossless is basically the same as ZIP compression. The data is not actually removed. It is just stored differently. Most common lossless encoders use an algorithm that makes a prediction for the next sample and then simply stores the difference between the prediction and the actual value. The prediction is significantly smaller than storing the full amplitude - hence the smaller file. The decoder knows the algorithm and there is no data loss when decoded because of the math.

John

Mac sound

(Ah yes, I get it, like Zip compression.)

In reading a little further on the web about Macintosh, a claim made was that the 'sound chip' work is done by the main processor (!) and that the relevant circuitry on the motherboard that corresponds to a PC soundcard is just to handle the analog output.

(If correct, there is a lot of processing power behind it at least, but is it hard to beat with an outboard USB/Firewire board working outside the box?) -sf

Last edited:
Hi all, first post...

after having read this article through with interest
:)thmbsp: most informative source out there by a long shot)
i've been taking a closer look at the turtle beach audiotron:

Their website states that networking is via an ethernet connection only and the faq's clarify that wireless connections can be made via a 'wireless bridge'. For the benefit of the only semi tech literate could you guys please clarify what this entails?

cheers

surge said:
Hi all, first post...

after having read this article through with interest
:)thmbsp: most informative source out there by a long shot)
i've been taking a closer look at the turtle beach audiotron:

Their website states that networking is via an ethernet connection only and the faq's clarify that wireless connections can be made via a 'wireless bridge'. For the benefit of the only semi tech literate could you guys please clarify what this entails?

cheers

A wireless bridge is a device that provides a "bridge" connection between a device that has a standard wired ethernet jack, and a wireless network access point (or in some cases another wireless device).

An example of this is the original Linksys WET11.

There are a number of newer wireless bridges supporting 802.11b/g protocols available from several manufacturers.

I have had great luck with iBook+10.4.x+Griffin Firewave at 96 khz+Onkyo HR-320 (non-vintage receiver)+Sennheiser HD 555's when I'm not using the cheap but quite decent speakers that came with the surround sound system/receiver... all of this plus a nice older Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer (125 watts) for movies and speakers cost me around $270 total, on top of the computer.

I use an old 19 inch rack mount server 1.8 gig stuffed with 2 120 gig hd's
with a soundblaster live and a cheap back up sound card pump it all in to a berringer crossover then split it in to a Crown 1000 watt to the mains and a berringer 2500 watt to the subs.

The mains are MSC dual 15's with a horn

The subs ane custome cabnets (2) with 1 -15 each

Rocks the house ,There is more that goes on but that is the basic setup

All the mp3's are ripped at 192 at 44

Hello Sir
Does that Turtle Beach USB unit allow you to avoid that annoying-ass digital hash and RF interference?

soundmotor said:
Here is the one I use with my laptop when I am on the road -

3564db2634e3536547bdae19cd4080cb.jpg

TB Audio Advantage

(Other bits & pieces are a Sonic Impact SI-5066 T-amp & a set of Boston MR110 minis.)

"computers as music servers!? "

it's easy to do with a factory produced HTPC, you basically just wire it up like any other audio device....the manufactures try to make the connectors look like audio gear. These usally have remotes and even mini displays so you often do not need a monitor.

as a worse case senerion, bigger challenges arise when upgrade a regular PC to do media serving. now you have to factor a possible sound card upgrade, a navigation system which usally means buying a video or sound card that has a remote, upgrading the OS to media edition...hardware may not be compatable, power supply upgrades...noisey power supply needs to be replaced with a quiet one.

I just went through the first step of the process of turning my PC into a music server. That step was a sound card upgrade and what a difference that made. I installed an ESI Juli@ sound card and all of a sudden my PC was a "High End Transport and DAC. Now all I have to do is find the right content management software.

bumpity bump....

I've started doing this as well, keeping everything the same hardware wise, just toying with different players.

Personally, I'm starting to like dbPower Amp as a media play. Most of my files are MP3 w/ Variable Bit Rates.

dbPower amp seems to have a smaller footprint than Windows Media Player, and a bit smoother than Winamp. It also can catalog all audio on a drive, or folder, etc.

Right now I'm randomly playing from a list of over 6700 tracks without any issues.

*note: my "music PC" is also *MY PC*, so I need something that doesn't bog the system down.

My digital audio system

I've put my 1999 IBM Aptiva 595 computer (128mb RAM, 600MHz CPU) into service as the main music source for my stereo system. I also have an Aiwa CX-NA888 bookshelf stereo (200 total watts, 50 wpcX4) which I am using almost strictly as an amplifier; the stereo has a very good amp section (graphic EQ and surround, et al.), so I figured--why not use it as the basis for a digital audio system? Most of my CDs are now ripped onto my hard drive (I have over four hundred songs on it at the moment, but I'm not done yet--I have about 20 more CDs to rip into the system). Also using Winamp 5.3 media player, skinned with the Kenwood Allora III skin. (I'd use 5.35 or even 5.5, but the former doesn't seem to work for ripping CDs and the latter will not run, period, on Windows 98SE, the OS I am currently using.) As I write this I'm listening to the Internet stream of WKSU-FM (www.wksu.org), the classical music station of Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, about 60 miles from Cleveland. WKSU is on 89.7 over the air if you're in the Kent/Akron area or 89.1 if you're in Lake County, although 89.7 comes in reasonably well in the Cleveland area. Eighty nine one is a translator station (known as WKSV) located in Thompson, Ohio, some 40 miles east of Cleveland; it brings WKSU to areas of Lake County that do not or cannot, for any reason, receive the station's direct signal.

I'm sold on the idea of using a PC as a digital music source. Almost any recent-vintage computer will run Winamp or most other media players (but only systems with XP or Vista can use WA 5.5), and the Internet streams of most classical and other FM stations mean there are no reception problems (I listen to stations hundreds or thousands of miles from here, as well as local stations, over their Web streams; the sound is great--I like it so well that I rarely if ever listen to over-the-air radio anymore).

Digital audio is here to stay, and I'm glad of it. I'm 51 years old and grew up with vinyl, cassettes and eight-tracks, but this is the age of CDs and mp3s; I am ready for it. I still have a cassette collection which I partially digitized some time ago, but I lost everything when my computer crashed a few months ago--so, here we go again with the ripping process. I have a Radio Shack SCT-11 stereo cassette deck with Dolby NR and CrO2 capability; it's over 30 years old but still works like a champ. I patched it into my stereo system when the built-in cassette decks went West a few months ago (my Aiwa system was new almost eight years ago and is, IMO, really not worth repairing anymore). The problem is likely as simple as broken or stretched belts, but as old as the system is, I'm not putting any more money into it. The local TV repair shop's techs agreed with me (that the unit was not worth repairing) when I had the system in to get an estimate for repairing the cassette decks; that's when I decided it was time to go digital. I'm glad I did.

Long live digital audio and AK! :music:

Hi

I use a pc (any since 3 generations) with a Terratec 24/96 Soundcard. But more i use the XBox for streaming and Playing my mp3-database.

HELGE

HI,

I have a HP laptop that I wish to use for a music server for my McIntosh C220/MC275 music system. Thinking of purchasing a Benchmark USB dac between my laptop and the C220.

The laptop has only a 100GB HD. Will an external usb drive work as a server for my music using iTunes? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Bill

HI,

I have a HP laptop that I wish to use for a music server for my McIntosh C220/MC275 music system. Thinking of purchasing a Benchmark USB dac between my laptop and the C220.

The laptop has only a 100GB HD. Will an external usb drive work as a server for my music using iTunes? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I am at exactly the same point. I will be connecting an older HP laptop to my poor man's McIntosh setup (Soundcraftsmen amp, B&K pre-amp with a DAC). Sound quality ahead of amplification but being able to access and deliver the various "PC-Based" sources is the whole game here.

By PC-Based I would like to: use the laptop for CD/DVD music playback, internet radio, and MP3/FLAC library playback.

So far I am planning to go digital SPDIF to the preamp and utilize the B&K DAC (excellent). This ensures that the quality for output from the PC is perfect and potentially eliminates any analog circuitry issues but raises one big question for me.

How is the source of music converted/passed to the SPDIF connection? I would like to know for sure but I am pretty sure that CD's and DVD's are passed directly to the DAC in the preamp. But for MP3's, internet radio, etc how is this signal converted to SPDIF? Is it still perfect or is there a converter process ahead of the SPDIF that I should be aware of?

If I were to go analog, I would need to have the best analog output DAC and electronics in the sound card. I do not know what is considered the best. AND there is still the question of the preamp signal creation for CD/DVD, MP3 but without the SPDIF conversion to the preamp DAC.

So I am researching and so far haven't found anything conclusive.

HI,

Bill

yep, i use an external usb-dddriive as music source. no problem. But: keep in mind that most of the boxes arent really made for long running periods. if you want 15 hour paryjobs look for somezing active cooled, a 7200rpm hd may die very fast if not cooled. And - if you goin' to use desktop HDs (3,5") in external boxes, keep in mind that they are NOT REALLY made to be mobile. NEVER move when runing, never shock, they will be dead at once. With 2,5" hdds u will have the Prize/Size-relation problem...

Helge

Hey Bill,

I am at exactly the same point. I will be connecting an older HP laptop to my poor man's McIntosh setup (Soundcraftsmen amp, B&K pre-amp with a DAC). Sound quality ahead of amplification but being able to access and deliver the various "PC-Based" sources is the whole game here.

By PC-Based I would like to: use the laptop for CD/DVD music playback, internet radio, and MP3/FLAC library playback.

So far I am planning to go digital SPDIF to the preamp and utilize the B&K DAC (excellent). This ensures that the quality for output from the PC is perfect and potentially eliminates any analog circuitry issues but raises one big question for me.

How is the source of music converted/passed to the SPDIF connection? I would like to know for sure but I am pretty sure that CD's and DVD's are passed directly to the DAC in the preamp. But for MP3's, internet radio, etc how is this signal converted to SPDIF? Is it still perfect or is there a converter process ahead of the SPDIF that I should be aware of?

If I were to go analog, I would need to have the best analog output DAC and electronics in the sound card. I do not know what is considered the best. AND there is still the question of the preamp signal creation for CD/DVD, MP3 but without the SPDIF conversion to the preamp DAC.

So I am researching and so far haven't found anything conclusive.
I purchased a Benchmark USB DAC. Record CD's to my laptop using iTunes. Also use iTunes for internet radio with excellent results. The Benchmark has proven to be a great investment as the quality of music I get from digitally recorded CD's is outstanding. I am also very pleased with the ease of using my HP laptop as controller for my music system. The laptop also has a remote control unit that makes music selection easy. The 100 GB hardrive has its limits so I planning an upgrade to a 360GB hard drive that is coming out in the next month or two. Also have purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500 GB external drive. It too works well.

All in all, digital has so many advantages. Have been running a McIntosh stereo systems since the late 50's. Hope that all your plans work out for you too.

Bill

USB Dacs

yep, i use an external usb-dddriive as music source. no problem. But: keep in mind that most of the boxes arent really made for long running periods. if you want 15 hour paryjobs look for somezing active cooled, a 7200rpm hd may die very fast if not cooled. And - if you goin' to use desktop HDs (3,5") in external boxes, keep in mind that they are NOT REALLY made to be mobile. NEVER move when runing, never shock, they will be dead at once. With 2,5" hdds u will have the Prize/Size-relation problem...

Helge

Thanks for your advice. Will certainly be taking a look at a music server designed for quiet operation and with superior cooling. So far I have found some great products here in Edmonton. When my budget allows I will move forward with a specially designed computer for digital music operation.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom