PC as source component

You may want to find a usb soundcard with asio drivers or at leat to allow bit perfect playback, Windows converts everything to 48 khz. An EMU 0202 USB will allow the music to go thru untouched or upsampled and has an excellent dac. The 0404USB has a slightly better dac and twice the price. Using spdif (or optical) will send pcm stereo thru your dac and it will work but your sound quality is affected by the windows conversion to 48 khz. As far as the signal creation for your stereo out, any of the software available will work. Foobar 2000 is an excellent free music player that works with bit perfect output and VLC is an excellent free video player that will play anything without using built in Windows codecs.It uses ut's own engine. Truly unique, and currently only works for me in stero mode thru my digital out. It will convert any 5.1 from dvd video to stereo., as will Powerdvd, etc.

I'm new to all this and simply running a cable from the speaker output on my pc to the aux input on my old marantz 2238 producing in my opinion good sound from the system. I know it's primitive but haven't got a clue about how to upgrade! I am using this to listen to radio streams and sites like sugarmegs, rhapsody and such. what would be a reasonable way to enhance the quality of sound from the pc?

I'm new to all this and simply running a cable from the speaker output on my pc to the aux input on my old marantz 2238 producing in my opinion good sound from the system. I know it's primitive but haven't got a clue about how to upgrade! I am using this to listen to radio streams and sites like sugarmegs, rhapsody and such. what would be a reasonable way to enhance the quality of sound from the pc?

I use a Creative Xtrememusic card, and I use the analog out of the sound card to my stereo. This card has nice quality DACs in it and it produces very good audio.

I use a Creative Xtrememusic card, and I use the analog out of the sound card to my stereo. This card has nice quality DACs in it and it produces very good audio.
It is a great card, but I had jitter problems, probably due to the location of my PC in my listening area. I now use the coax and opt outs, one to my DAC for 2ch., one to my surround sound receiver, and it sounds great.

I run a Roku Soundbridge M1000 using the optical into my Yamaha RX-V995, and I take it out iin the shop with me and run it into a Sanyo amp using the analog outputs, using 320 MP3s and WAVs, can't find a bad thing to say about it with the exception of the display not being readable. There is a very low noise threshhold running the analogs, dead silent on optical though.

I use Media Player 11 for server software and everything is stored on a Dell down in the basement.

Like many others here, I use the Roku into a Lite Audio tube Dac. The music is stored on a large eternal HD in the other room and runs through a Dell desktop wirelessly to the Roku. It sounds as good as any Cd player I have ever had.
Oh, I store the tunes as Apple Lossless.
Although I must admit that the new Squeezebox Duet, with the screen that shows your songs built into the remote is very nice and may have to replace the Roku soon.

Although I must admit that the new Squeezebox Duet, with the screen that shows your songs built into the remote is very nice and may have to replace the Roku soon.
Yeah, I am considering the same thing. I wonder if it will control the Roku? Although I love the way the iPod Touch works with the Roku, I would love to have a way to access Rhapsody Music without having to run it on my computer.

I'm curious about the same thing. I'm looking into buying a stereo amp, looking into a Cambridge Azur 340a and I'd like to connect it to my PC. The sound card is an Creative Audigy 4, link to specs here. What would be the best way to connect this sound card to the amp? Should I get some additional components, or perhaps a better sound card? Right know I'd probably connect it with a simple mini-stereo to RCA cable but I don't feel that's very "audiophile". Give me some recommendations. I'm new to all of this so feel free to speak in layman terms. :stupid:

I have a large library of personally ripped CD's in FLAC format and I'm looking to get CDP sound quality from my PC.

For sure get a good quality sound card with nice DACs for good analog output
Dac is the digital to analog converter. The Audigy 4 is decent, the X-FI is much better. Even the X-FI is getting old now. I use the X-FI Xtrememusic card which has good quality DACs. Newegg has the Creative top of the line X-FI Elite Pro card with gaming headphones for 100.00 after rebate. You could always sell the headphones

I had jitter problems when using the analog out from my PC's onboard sound and also my sound blaster external. Since then I've upgraded to a X-FI Xtrememusic card and a external DAC. It sound almost as good as using my Integra SACD player as a transport. But for the pure convenience of it, I use my PC 90% of the time.

For a audiophile grade mini to RCA connector, SignalCable makes a couple of different models, one being of silver.

For sure get a good quality sound card with nice DACs for good analog output
Dac is the digital to analog converter. The Audigy 4 is decent, the X-FI is much better. Even the X-FI is getting old now. I use the X-FI Xtrememusic card which has good quality DACs. Newegg has the Creative top of the line X-FI Elite Pro card with gaming headphones for 100.00 after rebate. You could always sell the headphones
Newegg and most online stores are a no-go for me because they don't ship internationally. Perhaps eBay but I can't find anything under 250$ that ships internationally and if I do, shipping is additional 50$, rounding it up over 300$.

Or perhaps a E-MU 0404 USB? What's your opinion on that card? In my local store I can get it for 1400HRK, whereas the X-Fi Elite Pro goes for 2000HRK.

Suppose I got the X-Fi Elite Pro, which cable connection would I use to connect it to my Stereo Amp? What gives the best SQ?
I had jitter problems when using the analog out from my PC's onboard sound and also my sound blaster external. Since then I've upgraded to a X-FI Xtrememusic card and a external DAC. It sound almost as good as using my Integra SACD player as a transport. But for the pure convenience of it, I use my PC 90% of the time.

For a audiophile grade mini to RCA connector, SignalCable makes a couple of different models, one being of silver.
Can you recommend an external DAC?

Thanks for the SignalCable tip, looks really interesting.

As for a DAC, it depends on your budget. I have a Camelot Arthur v3.0 which works really well. I believe you can find them in the used market for around $300. If you're willing to spend more, Benchmark makes a couple of nice units.

As for a DAC, it depends on your budget. I have a Camelot Arthur v3.0 which works really well. I believe you can find them in the used market for around $300. If you're willing to spend more, Benchmark makes a couple of nice units.
That's pretty steep for me, I have around 1200$ to go for an amp+speakers+good sound card or CDP.

May I repeat the "Think Outside The Box" theory.
wIth an external music server, you do not need a sound card. Just Itunes or some other music library, a network connection, wired or wireless and the music server. The quality of your sound card matters nothing. Eveything stays in the digital domain until it hits the DAC and voila, music comes out there. Very simple, relatively cheap and best sound possibilities IMHO.

May I repeat the "Think Outside The Box" theory.
wIth an external music server, you do not need a sound card. Just Itunes or some other music library, a network connection, wired or wireless and the music server. The quality of your sound card matters nothing. Eveything stays in the digital domain until it hits the DAC and voila, music comes out there. Very simple, relatively cheap and best sound possibilities IMHO.
Ah, I see. So basically there would be no need to upgrade my Sound Card if I got an external DAC? I don't know if I mentioned but I'm quite the newbie here.

However, looking at the DAC prices...they're awfully expensive. Benchmark goes over 1000$ and Camelot is about the same. I have 1200$ in total to spend, LOL. Cambridge Azur 340A SE for about 430$ and the rest for some speakers + CDP or external DAC or quality sound card with good DAC's.

Is there any decent external DAC for about 400$?

I'm afraid I need to get all my equipment in local shops because I live in Croatia and shipping to here costs a fortune.

I've been pretty disappointed with my EMU 0404 USB. I've been using it with a digital out from my EMU 0404 PCI card. I notice a lot of floor noise. I have not tried it via USB. It was only $125, but I am looking to get rid of it. Failed experiment.

I've seen a number of good things about the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2. RCA, Optical, and headphone output, and swappable OpAMP sockets for tweaking. Anybody heard this one? I am tempted as its also only $75.

http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigyhd2/

dew.

Lite Audio makes several nice ones, I have the DAC 60 and it is great.
Where did you buy it from? Know of any reliable online store that ships internationally?
I've been pretty disappointed with my EMU 0404 USB. I've been using it with a digital out from my EMU 0404 PCI card. I notice a lot of floor noise. I have not tried it via USB. It was only $125, but I am looking to get rid of it. Failed experiment.

I've seen a number of good things about the Audiotrak Prodigy HD2. RCA, Optical, and headphone output, and swappable OpAMP sockets for tweaking. Anybody heard this one? I am tempted as its also only $75.

http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigyhd2/

dew.
Thanks for the EMU input.

That AudioTrak card looks like a great bang for buck. I'd be curious to hear impressions about it as well. I just might get it to upgrade my Audigy 4, it looks like a sweet deal at 75$.

Back
Top Bottom