PC Dual Monitor Connection Question

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
I have a fairly recent but not brand new PC with a monitor connected with a 15 pin VGA cable. There is only one VGA jack on the PC. There is a 9-pin jack but I learned this is a serial port and no good for video. The PC also has two HDMI jacks.

I have a spare monitor, LED flatscreen type with a 15-pin VGA cable also.

Is there any way to use this in a dual monitor setup?

I think if the two monitors were just plugged into a Y-cable they would both show the same thing. Correct?

The only way to do it would be with an adaptor to connect the 2d monitor to one of the HDMI ports - but is a VGA monitor compatible with HDMI output?

Actually they are Display ports and not HDMI. Does that mean it can't be directly adapted to a VGA monitor?

Displayport to VGA adapters are readily available from Amazon, Best Buy, and New Egg, etc.

-Dave

Yep I found them, seems they have to include a digital to analog converter inside so they are not just a cable adapter. $17 is the cheapest I've seen.

Thanks for the help, we're on our way.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of USB. Upon searching it looks like a similar gadget with built-in D/A conversion. Certainly an option but it doesn't seem to be functionally different and costs about the same as the DisplayPort to VGA converter. Plus you lose a USB port.

I've used the USB to VGA adapters When I've had to. I'd rather use the displayport adapter when that is an option. I've seen some odd video behavior with the USB adapters, typically driver issues. I have not encountered that with displayport adapters.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom