imral3

Enjoy the musics!!
Here is a screenshot inside my main music folder:
main folder.jpg

Here is a screenshot inside an artist subfolder:
artist folder.jpg

And lastly a screenshot inside an album subfolder:
album folder.jpg

My question is how can I make the "artist' folder (2nd screenshot) have the same two columns as the "main" folder (1st screenshot) without changing the multiple columns inside the "album" folder (3rd screenshot). I have 2,370 "artist" folders and over 100,000 "album" folders and would hate to have to change each one individually.

It looks like File Explorer is showing the 'music files' view. You need to change it to 'general'.

Navigate up to the top level, select "Ray's Music", right-click/properties/customize and select 'General items' as the 'optimize' type. Tick the box to apply to all sub-folders, and hit 'okay'.

Job done.

Last edited:
It looks like File Explorer is showing the 'music files' view. You need to change it to 'general'.

Navigate up to the top level, select "Ray's Music", right-click/properties/customize and select 'General items' as the 'optimize' type. Tick the box to apply to all sub-folders, and hit 'okay'.

Job done.
Won't that then remove all the music specific columns/titles I have chosen for my album folders?

EDIT: it's already that way...
Snapshot.jpg

Sorry; my mis-reading. I couldn't see the second shot on my phone.

You want the 'General items' view for the Artist folders, but the Music view for each album...

I'd suggest selecting all the artist folders, and setting the 'General items' view, but unticking the 'apply to all subfolders' option.

Oh, blast; you want General down to album level...

That may be tricky...

[edit] just tested with one artist, and selecting the artist, setting 'general items', and unticking subfolders set the correct view for the albums, but left the tracks as Music. Not as hard as I feared...

Last edited:
The artist's folders are correct. It's the album folders that still show the same column titles as the inside individual albums, which is the info describing song/track details.

The artist's folders are correct. It's the album folders that still show the same column titles as the inside individual albums, which is the info describing song/track details.

Yeah, I finally got it. Try this, on one or two artists to start with, to check it works:

I'd suggest selecting all the artist folders, and setting the 'General items' view, but unticking the 'apply to all subfolders' option.

That seems to do the trick on Windows 7 Pro.

[edit] just tested with one artist, and selecting the artist, setting 'general items', and unticking set the correct view for the albums, but left the tracks as Music. Not as hard as I feared...
Please clarify - I don't quite follow you on this. Sorry, and thanks for the help.

In the folder RAY's Music, select all the Artist folders.
Right-click/Properties/Customize
Optimize folder for 'General Items'
untick 'also apply this template to all subfolders'
Click 'OK'

I would test it with just one or two Artist folders to start with, to make sure it works (so manually correcting won't be too painful).

Just tried the above - zero change. Then did it again and selected apply to subfolders - again zero change. Windows 10 here. I guess I better head to a win 10 forum and ask. Thanks again.

That's some collection you've got... What media manager are you using?
Media manager = Ray (me)!! Lol. I'm currently using Plex for streaming abilities. I've tried mediamonkey, jriver, musicbee,and fubar just to name some. I don't like what they did to my actual files in windows. Erased or changed info, removed album artwork, etc. I am very particular (aka anal) about my collection as I have maintained it through all the windows platforms and even dabbled with linux. I know, it would probably be easier to just let a program mis-handle, I mean manage it for me.

I use MediaMonkey and MusicBee, and, configured correctly, neither does odd things to my files or artwork.

I was originally upset that MM changed file timestamps when editing metadata tags, as I used timestamps to order files manually... When I realised the media managers would do the job better, using metadata, I relaxed, and stopped worrying about it. MusicBee will even retain timestamps if I want...

I'm not aware of a way to do this from windows explorer with a reliable result. Hopefully someone can school us on that. Is it an aesthetics issue or a functional hindrance for you?

A custom script is a potential answer, but not a common ask. Usually an application is pointed to a root directory to present the data in a customized format.

I'm not aware of a way to do this from windows explorer with a reliable result. Hopefully someone can school us on that. Is it an aesthetics issue or a functional hindrance for you?

A custom script is a potential answer, but not a common ask. Usually an application is pointed to a root directory to present the data in a customized format.
Purely for aesthetic reasons. :rolleyes:

Media manager = Ray (me)!! Lol. I'm currently using Plex for streaming abilities. I've tried mediamonkey, jriver, musicbee,and fubar just to name some. I don't like what they did to my actual files in windows. Erased or changed info, removed album artwork, etc. I am very particular (aka anal) about my collection as I have maintained it through all the windows platforms and even dabbled with linux. I know, it would probably be easier to just let a program mis-handle, I mean manage it for me.

Sounds like you tried to use them with some of their automatic "fetching" enabled. On most of them, if you un-check the boxes for things like Automatically look up tags, or Automatically download artwork, BEFORE telling the software where to look for your music files, you won't have any problems. You can leave those enabled for CD ripping though.

Sounds like you tried to use them with some of their automatic "fetching" enabled. On most of them, if you un-check the boxes for things like Automatically look up tags, or Automatically download artwork, BEFORE telling the software where to look for your music files, you won't have any problems. You can leave those enabled for CD ripping though.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to try MediaMonkey Gold and see how I like it. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom