PC file layout/column titles

Purely for aesthetic reasons. :rolleyes:

After checking this out, it isn't a good idea to force a write of the folder views. W7 and possibly later versions keeps the view data as "shell bags" entries in the registry.
My next thought is to ensure that there are no music related files directly under your artist folders(only album folders), force the view from the parent/root folder, then let windows discover and apply the music view template again.

I'd try MusicBee first; it's free, and very good...
Well, after trying MediaMonkey Gold, and hating it from the moment I installed it, I have finally gotten around to trying Musicbee. Installed it last night. How can this amazing program be free? It just works so well and sounds damn good, too! Thanks, @cpt_paranoia !!

Well, after trying MediaMonkey Gold, and hating it from the moment I installed it

I'm glad you're liking MusicBee, but I'm not sure I understand your troubles with MM; they are very similar. Well, MM4 and MB are; I've not tried MM5, as it seems to be in eternal beta... I prefer to use MM for physical management of my library.

Support for MB is also very good; the forum is very active, and Steven provides good, timely response to bugs (I've seen some new builds issued within hours), but insists on good bug reporting and diagnostics. He can seem rather terse, but I don't blame him for not wanting to waste his (provided freely) time, and wanting an efficient process. I have been known to be less than polite with people who demand his immediate attention as if they had paid for the program... ("do you want your money back?" has been used a couple of times...)

Last edited:
I found MM to be a little slow and cludgy.

Ah, yes. MM4 does take a long time to read the library and 'now playing' data when it boots. With your 100k albums, I can imagine it would take an age...

MB is much quicker to load the library. There are reports from users on the forum with more than a million tracks in their MB libraries, without problems.

Steven's a full-time s/w dev professional, and develops MB in his spare time. He must be a very good s/w dev, I think...

Last edited:
@imral3

I keep (a fraction) of my lossless horde on a couple of "player" PCs, both Windows, one OS-7, other OS-10. I happen to be sitting @ the OS-7 (Lenovo X220 laptop) now, and IIRC my "Main Artist" and "Titles per X Artist" folder "views" are identical and in the style (i.e., the "two columns only" deal showing only Name and Date modified, though my Main & Title screens also by my choosing show Size and Type). Let's check w/ a couple of screenshots:

1. Main Artist level folder screen:

upload_2019-8-15_18-11-44.jpeg

nb: How about that, I've got a folder for Amon Amarth as well.
nb2: sorry I neglected to "cpature" the folder column titles... I'll get them in the "Album Subfolder" snip, coming up next.

2. Albums folder view that's "under" a given artist, say, Amon Amarth:

upload_2019-8-15_18-15-17.jpeg

Clearly the same "four" columns, i.e., Name, Size, Type, and Date modified.

Once "inside" an album folder, the number of columns increases, thus showing "album contents view", i.e. where one can include "tags" & such, most of which I do not use or show, but it's definitely a different layout than the variables present in the "Main Artists" and "Single Artist's Albums" views (I've chosen to demonstate my "album contents view" the sub/subfolder for Amon Amarth's album With Oden On Our Side (2006){Icaraus ARG}:

upload_2019-8-15_18-25-5.jpeg

So there is a way to accomplish this in OS7. Or maybe you've already figured out this thing and I've just c&p'd a bunch of screen shots in vain? Well @ least it was fun and a good QC exercise: I found a typo @ one of my Amon Amarth "album view" entries -- used "(....)" where I usually use "{....}".

The "A's" list on my other (ie, main) "player" machine is probably 3x longer!
Yeah, my "A" artists listing is 150+. :eek: However, shortly after posting I kinda stopped worrying about it and just let MusicBee handle all the minute details for me. And now that I'm hooked on Tidal... :rolleyes:

Yeah, my "A" artists listing is 150+. :eek: However, shortly after posting I kinda stopped worrying about it and just let MusicBee handle all the minute details for me. And now that I'm hooked on Tidal... :rolleyes:

All my digital is from streaming services. My main one is Tidal, there App from any of my devices is more than good enough for my management.
:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom