PC humming

skraggs

Hey everybody,
I got a problem with humming coming from my computer. There are two connections from my PC to my amp:

1. PC - hdmi - TV - optical - opt. converter - rca - AMP
2. PC - usb - Schiit Gungnir MB - rca - AMP

The humming only occurs when both the usb and the hdmi are connected, removing either solves the problem.

Anyone got an idea what I could do?

Is it the same computer going to both? Do you have them plugged into the same outlet? Do you have a power conditioner?

I'd be just a bit suspicious of the optical converter as that should isolate the PC & TV (HDMI) from any noise or such on that side of this rig.

Otherwise it's likely just the "noisy" USB/HDMI bus of the rig and that's a whole other can-O-worms.

Good luck here.

Bret P.

On my rig I use a Intona to help or isolate more. Maybe the power on the usb? Maybe try an Sbooster vbus as long as your dac doesn't use the usb power to it?

Thanks guys!

Otherwise it's likely just the "noisy" USB/HDMI bus of the rig and that's a whole other can-O-worms.

It probably is, I can't make sense of it otherwise. The humming is only there when both USB and HDMI are connected.

Another way for ground loop hum to develop is through the CATV shield. Is there a CATV connection anywhere in there?

sounds like ground loop
i would start with changing rca and usb cables
i would also try having only one rca cable plugged into the amp at a time
no hum add an rca then another [shutting the amp off before adding ]
and see when the hum starts
you may find that a cable is causing the loop
try a separate ground wire run to the pc and the amp just a piece of speaker wire will do

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom