PC internal drive for SACD in addition to CD/DVD/Blu-ray

robert_kc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am shopping for a new PC, and I’m surprised that I can’t find an internal “CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive” for a standard tower PC that will play SACDs (i.e., the SACD layer, not the CD layer of a hybrid disk). I was intending to have my PC be my sole music source in my office, playing CDs, SACDs, Pure Audio Blu-ray, and downloaded hi-res FLAC. It looks like I may have to keep my SACD player in my office – not a major problem - but not ideal.

Does anyone know of an internal PC drive that will play SACDs?

Does anyone have any experience with the internal drives that play Blu-ray – when used for Pure Audio Blu-ray disks?

I think SACD playback is limited to certain devices because Sony feared piracy. It's for this reason there aren't any drives that allow SACD playback on a computer.

No one other than SONY made it. I do not think they even still make them. Your best bet is finding old PlayStation 3 that allows ripping SACD into DSD encoded files. Do that once and then play files instead of actual disks. Generally if working with computer - you better rip disk into files and play them instead. If you really need physical disk playback, get Oppo 103 - It plays any 5" physical media.

Thanks SSaxdude and for_P1.

I own an Oppo BDP-105 and BDP-95. I also own two older DV-980H, one of which is in my office for playing SACDs. I was just hoping to reduce clutter when I reconfigure my office system based on a new PC.

If there is, you should not invest in your PC that way. You know, PC is a noisy environment

Back
Top Bottom