Pc2002m

souljay3

Addicted Member
Hi there,
I think today was a good day,scored 2002m off of GT for 100 aud,jts in great shape too inside and out,all the lights working,from the looks of it its only had light use,been stored for the last 5 years but only light dust inside and really clean looking,ive hooked her up and she sounds great.
its the heaviest amp ive ever lifted

I have some nostalgia about those in my past. How about some good pics, when they are all cleaned up, for the gang here and me too? Many thanks.

Started down the path to serious gear with one of these, and I still have it 15 trouble free years later. Congrats and enjoy! Keep an eye out for the 4002 and 5002...think the 2002 is heavy? Lol....

jblnut

View attachment 878042
Here's a working pic, it's a bit of a hassle to get a nude one now so maybe when i get to the next swap around ill bump the thread.

Really nice!
I am assuming this photo is just for show abd that you will not keep anything on top of that amps :)
Yes, this is a pro amp with active cooling, meant to be a work horse, but heat is the enemy of all electronics...no reason to keep it with something on top if space is not an issue.

...love the deck too:thumbsup:

View attachment 878042
Here's a working pic, it's a bit of a hassle to get a nude one now so maybe when i get to the next swap around ill bump the thread.

Very nice, is that a C-50 or C-70 preamp? Assuming that it is a C-70, you can use the inverted pre-outs to get a bit more mileage out of the amp's powersupply: c80invert.jpg

I am assuming this photo is just for show abd that you will not keep anything on top of that amps :)
Yes, this is a pro amp with active cooling, meant to be a work horse, but heat is the enemy of all electronics...no reason to keep it with something on top if space is not an issue.

The PC2002M does have 4 output transistors per channel compared to 3 for the P2200/P2201 and M-2, but it does have it's heatsinks on the side of the amp just like those other amps. I've had my M-2 and P2200/P2201 amps stacked for years, and thankfully the vast majority of the heat comes off the side heatsinks. Works great for rack mounting in a rack with open sides also!

Last edited:
Just like I remembered it. It is quite a powerhouse and I envy you. If you don't want to use it as an amp, you can always use it as a hammer. :biggrin:

Very nice, is that a C-50 or C-70 preamp? Assuming that it is a C-70, you can use the inverted pre-outs to get a bit more mileage out of the amp's powersupply: View attachment 878165

The PC2002M does have 4 output transistors per channel compared to 3 for the P2200/P2201 and M-2, but it does have it's heatsinks on the side of the amp just like those other amps. I've had my M-2 and P2200/P2201 amps stacked for years, and thankfully the vast majority of the heat comes off the side heatsinks. Works great for rack mounting in a rack with open sides also!

it's a c-50,the pc2002m has taken the place of a rx-v660 reciever that was on filling in duties for an m-40 that died one day before xmas and goes straight into protection mode,the m-40 is now away being fixed(i hope if fixable and not to costly) but when it comes back i'll need to find another use for it,i do have a marantz 1060 that i had paired with the m-40 for a while in the days before i got the c-50,the 1060 is covering the music from the imac which is mainly radio and the sound from the tv but i do remember that the sound was good paired with the m40 so i think i'll put them back together again.
Ok edit,
I don't want to open a can of worms so please just judge on my situation.
What do you guys think of using the pc2002m and m-40 to bi amp.

Last edited:
The PC2002M & M-2 use different output transistors.

PC2002M
The original output transistors in the PC2002M are Sanken 2SC2608 (NPN) and 2SA1117 (PNP), 200W, 17A, 4 pair per channel.

M-2
The original output transistors in the M-2 are Toshiba 2SC2461B (NPN) and 2SA1051B (PNP), 160V, 150W, 15A, 80MHz, high-ft, 3 pair per channel.

Hi there,
I think today was a good day,scored 2002m off of GT for 100 aud,jts in great shape too inside and out,all the lights working,from the looks of it its only had light use,been stored for the last 5 years but only light dust inside and really clean looking,ive hooked her up and she sounds great.
its the heaviest amp ive ever lifted
Congratulations, the PC2002M is an excellent amp!

Hi all,
I used the pc2002m today for a couple of hours and the power button wouldn't power off normally when i'd finished so had to turn off at the main switch at the wall,i noticed that the amp didn't feel to hot but the c-50 on top was very hot, i didn't get the amp checked out as i'm awaiting an m-40 back from the tech's,could this be a heat issue,or are the power on/off switches notorious for this ?
Many thanks

Jay

while having those units stacked, at the minimum you are backing the unit above.

Regardless whether a unit was made to live in a rack or what anyone says about being OK to keep the unis stacked like that for longer periods of time, that is not your optimal setup.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics, commercial on non-commercial grade. If it was build to work good in a rack, it will work even better if it has more room to breathe. Besides, the unit you have on top, I bet it was not built to live in a rack :rolleyes:

as far as the power switch...consider a SS switch option.

while having those units stacked, at the minimum you are backing the unit above.

Regardless whether a unit was made to live in a rack or what anyone says about being OK to keep the unis stacked like that for longer periods of time, that is not your optimal setup.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics, commercial on non-commercial grade. If it was build to work good in a rack, it will work even better if it has more room to breathe. Besides, the unit you have on top, I bet it was not built to live in a rack :rolleyes:

I was the only one in this thread that mentioned anything about a rack, and I only mentioned it in passing, in the context of amps that give off the vast majority of their heat via the side heatsinks (which applies to the PC2002M) being particularly well suited to racks with open sides. The C-50 was certainly not designed to live in a rack, but in almost all Yamaha documentation it is shown as sitting right on top of the amplifier, so I assume it can't be too delicate in that regard. It seems that the preamp is indeed getting too hot in this case, so certainly the OP should try changing things up. If it's at all like my C-80 though, it will run warm even if it's all by itself.

You are 100% correct about heat being bad, and it is NOT my intention to imply otherwise in any way. If my amps didn't have their heat-sinks on the sides just like the PC2002M does, then I would probably be in a load of trouble regarding heat! Thankfully they tend to remain quite cool, a bit warm at most.

Rack1.jpg rack2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom