Pc2002m

while having those units stacked, at the minimum you are backing the unit above.

Regardless whether a unit was made to live in a rack or what anyone says about being OK to keep the unis stacked like that for longer periods of time, that is not your optimal setup.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics, commercial on non-commercial grade. If it was build to work good in a rack, it will work even better if it has more room to breathe. Besides, the unit you have on top, I bet it was not built to live in a rack :rolleyes:

as far as the power switch...consider a SS switch option.

Hey thanks rottalpha so the power switch is a common problem? And what's a ss switch?
Also your talking to a plumber so i've very limited knowledge of electronics

Last edited:
I was the only one in this thread that mentioned anything about a rack, and I only mentioned it in passing, in the context of amps that give off the vast majority of their heat via the side heatsinks (which applies to the PC2002M) being particularly well suited to racks with open sides. The C-50 was certainly not designed to live in a rack, but in almost all Yamaha documentation it is shown as sitting right on top of the amplifier, so I assume it can't be too delicate in that regard. It seems that the preamp is indeed getting too hot in this case, so certainly the OP should try changing things up. If it's at all like my C-80 though, it will run warm even if it's all by itself.

You are 100% correct about heat being bad, and it is NOT my intention to imply otherwise in any way. If my amps didn't have their heat-sinks on the sides just like the PC2002M does, then I would probably be in a load of trouble regarding heat! Thankfully they tend to remain quite cool, a bit warm at most.

View attachment 882807 View attachment 882808
Thanks chris
Mighty fine rack mate
I'm gonna split them,find out what works in the space i've got.

I was the only one in this thread that mentioned anything about a rack, and I only mentioned it in passing, in the context of amps that give off the vast majority of their heat via the side heatsinks (which applies to the PC2002M) being particularly well suited to racks with open sides. The C-50 was certainly not designed to live in a rack, but in almost all Yamaha documentation it is shown as sitting right on top of the amplifier, so I assume it can't be too delicate in that regard. It seems that the preamp is indeed getting too hot in this case, so certainly the OP should try changing things up. If it's at all like my C-80 though, it will run warm even if it's all by itself.

You are 100% correct about heat being bad, and it is NOT my intention to imply otherwise in any way. If my amps didn't have their heat-sinks on the sides just like the PC2002M does, then I would probably be in a load of trouble regarding heat! Thankfully they tend to remain quite cool, a bit warm at most.

View attachment 882807 View attachment 882808
Love the rack!

No worries Chris, my comments were general in nature. No pun intended!

Back
Top Bottom