PE alternatives to the Polk 65xx drivers????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by gyusher, Apr 2, 2006.

1. gyusher

gyusher -don't go round hungry-

I now have 8 Polk speakers that use their 6502 driver. . . Monitor 4/5/7/10

Of course we all know about their magnet troubles. . .I have 4 that are locked up. Since they are only 48 bucks new I am not too concerned but. . .

Have any of you found an alternative or upgrade from PE or elsewhere???

I scanned their 6.5 drivers last night and they must have the equal or better driver. . .

If not I will buy from Polk but just curious if anyone has done anything on these lines????

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Why do you say that? Polk parlayed (IMNSHO) the best sounding line of low cost/high value speaker systems of their era (including EPI) with that high-compliance, high excursion, rubber surrounded, coated paper cone 6-1/2" driver.

I'd be very surprised if there is a better driver available to replace it in its intended application(s).

3. tentoze

tentoze Twangophile

Agreed. If I had an overwhelming desire to tinker with replacing original drivers in a speaker, vintage Polks would NOT be a candidate.

4. gyusher

My intention is to replace them with new Polk drivers however I am curious to know if there are upgrades available.

I am a believer in Polk's way. . .Thats why I bought so many. I like the idea of only 2 drivers and much better they all use the same drivers. . .

This is why I asked first. . .

I have bought used drivers for replacement only to get them frozen on arrival. . . I will be buying all new. . . Before spending 250+ on drivers I thought I would ask first. . .

How about at any price???

Does anyone know where Polk got the driver??

I know 48 bucks is not a high price. I have the 2 I need immediately coming from Polk now. . .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  5. Paul C

Paul C Super Member

If you have 8 Polk spkrs, and 4 bad drivers, why would you want to replace them with more of the same Polk drivers?

You should be able to find a suitable substitute from PE. Do you have specs on the original Polk driver?

Provided the bass is reasonably flat, most of a speaker's "sound" comes from its midrange and tweeter. It is the higher overtones that make an oboe sound different from a trumpet or flute.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  6. tentoze

tentoze Twangophile

Note to self: don't read any more of this thread.

7. Paul C

Paul C Super Member

I have always been less concerned with preserving originality than with actual performance. For example, a '69 GTO is cool, but driving it with original 80,000 miles Tiger Paws would not be my idea of a fun driving experience.

8. gyusher

Curious

I was curious as to whether or not anyone went through this exercise and if so I might glean a bit from that experience. . .

I bought the Polk speakers because I love how they sounded. Their problems are not unique to Polk. Many vintage drivers suffer from the same illness. I have no problem using Polk's new drivers or repairing the bad drivers I already have. . .

I do have 4 DynAudio drivers still new in the box that I paid 600 bucks for in 1985. I will give them a whirl, just because I can, but my thinking is to keep them original.

Evidently upgrading drivers is a sacred cow that I had better not butcher. . . The thinking just might be correct. . . Polk did not come this far by shortchanging their customers. Fact is they do have a good combination. . .

9. merrylander

merrylander AK Member

BTW, if you are talking 8 ohm Monitors the replacemant is the MW6503, the MW6502 is a 4 ohm driver.

Rob

10. gyusher

All my Polks are 6502. . . From the Monitor 4 through the Monitor 10s. . . I have not noticed the ohm ratings except for my 5s which I knew were 4ohm when I bought them. . .

I run them about 20 hours a day every day with my Denon 3806 from normal to extreme levels and the receiver gets just barely warm. . . I do use a sub however and keep the others all set at "small". . .

Nothing like the energy you get from these Polks. I use 7s as rears and 10s as fronts with one 5 at center. I am thinking of changing centers to the Monitor 7 and putting the 5s at rear.. . .

Thanks for the tip though I will check to see what rating the others have on them,. . .

11. merrylander

merrylander AK Member

Hmm, when I talked to the people at Polk about replacements for the 5As I recently bought they said that it was the MW6503, guess there were different flavors of the 5s.

Rob

12. mhardy6647

There were several different 5's, Rob, including the 5jr. Can you tell from these two photos that the 5jr had a smaller PR and a smaller box? Dunno about the woofers, tho'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DKak

DKak Active Member

About 15 years ago I collated some driver specs. Here are some, maybe helpful to this discussion:

Driver: MW 6500 Driver's model #.
    Brand: Polk Driver's brand name.
    Fs: 31.0000 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 2.6486 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.2190 Total Q
    Qms: 1.3000 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.2640 Electrical Q
    Sd: 0.0130 M^2 (Piston area)
    Xmax: 3.1800 mm (Cone excursion, linear)
    Revc: 6.5000 ohms (DC resistance)
    Znom: 8.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)
    Pmax: 35.0000 watts maximum rated power

Driver: MW 6501 Driver's model #.
    Fs: 31.0000 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 2.7545 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.2790 Total Q
    Qms: 1.4700 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.3440 Electrical Q
    Revc: 7.7500 ohms (DC resistance)

Driver: MW 6502 Driver's model #.
    Fs: 44.0000 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 1.2360 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qms: 1.9700 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.3250 Electrical Q
    Revc: 3.5200 ohms (DC resistance)
    Znom: 4.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)

Driver: MW 6503 Driver's model #.
    Fs: 29.8600 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 3.0017 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qts: 0.3100 Total Q
    Qms: 1.7680 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.3760 Electrical Q
    Revc: 6.5400 ohms (DC resistance)

This information won't tell you how a driver sounds, only what to plug in for basic mathematical modeling. For example, these drivers all used a doped paper cone & rubber surround (Polk made these themselves for many years, using cone & surround from Kurt Mueller Co in Gemany, don't remember where the basket & magnet assemblies came from), but the specs don't describe everything -- including the breakup/resonant modes of the drivers which have a lot to do with the resulting sound.

So simply substituting a different driver brand or model with different construction but having identical specs will virtually guarantee it will sound different. Better or worse? No way to know without trying.

14. gyusher

WOW!! Thanks. . .

15. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

Basket/magnet aseemblies for the Polk drivers came from Peerless, for the early models. They went to a US supplier, after a while, IIRC...

Regards,
    Gordon.

16. mhardy6647

Is that right? I knew the tweeters were Peerless, but I didn't know that the baskets for the mid/woofers were sourced from Peerless, too.

17. Kegger

Kegger R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017 Super Mod

If your looking to experiment, (and why not it won't hurt anything) the Dayton 6.5"
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-305
    is used in a ton of DIY projects and folks (including myself) are shocked by this driver.

It's very well behaved, get's killer bass and is very reasonably priced. If it doesn't do
    what you want for this project you'll have no problem finding other uses!

18. gyusher

Actually I was looking for 1st hand knowledge where someone might have already performed this exercise. . .

I am not real excited about tinkering because the standard driver ain't bad. . . You read about other audio gear where there are upgrade packages already proven and accepted as necessary. I was asking about that more than anything else. . .

19. Kegger

Kegger R.I.P. 1/12/1966 - 6/1/2017 Super Mod

I hear yu, good to ask and see what others have done or heard.

But at the price of the Dayton drivers and if they fit to where it's unscew 4 screws
    and bolt em in place, what yu got to loose? If it was me I'd be to curious not to!

Heck you may be the one others are looking for in your same situation, someones
    gotta be the first right? Might as well be you.

So many are afraid to monkey with a tried and true design that has been well respected
    but if you don't have to mod anything that can't be put back to original then you are
    not hurting anything. Those Dayton 6.5" drivers are hugely respected in the DIY circles.

Put it this way, your thinking of a good replacement, these just might be and you will
    never know without trying. Come on don't be a chicken, give em a whirl! Like I said it's
    not like wasted money they are great drivers and you could use them on other speakers.

20. mhardy6647

Driver: MW 6502 Driver's model #.
    Fs: 44.0000 Hz (Free air resonance)
    Vas: 1.2360 ft^3 (Compliance volume)
    Qms: 1.9700 Mechanical Q
    Qes: 0.3250 Electrical Q
    Revc: 3.5200 ohms (DC resistance)
    Znom: 4.0000 ohms (Nominal impedance)

PartsExpress (Dayton) 295-305
    Power handling: 50 watts RMS/75 watts max
    Voice coil diameter: 1-3/8"
    Voice coil inductance: 1.40 mH
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    DC resistance: 6.0 ohms
    Frequency response: 33-4,000 Hz
    Magnet weight: 15 oz.
    Fs: 33 Hz