PE alternatives to the Polk 65xx drivers????

No offense to you, but different priorities or view points I guess. I would eat sawdust for a couple of week to save up the 40 bucks to do the fix right, if I had to, rather than spend the money on something that ain't gonna be right, even if it is close. And those things from PE ain't even close.

I would eat sawdust, but my wife and kids would have a strong difference of opinion...:D

Another voice in support of using the Polk drivers. There is no substitute for perfection.

:yes:

Don't drop you speakers and you shouldn't have a problem.

Not necessarily true. The drivers I have fixed (All 2) had nothing resembling a large shock applied to them. They were in the back seat of a friend's car on their sides, he didn't know any better, and the magnet shifted.
There wasn't much left on the front plate or the magnet that looked like glue, epoxy or any other adhesive. I sold some 65XX series drivers that were new old stock and placed a bead of epoxy on every magnet/faceplate that I shipped.
Better safe than sorry I would think.

As for fixing them? What do you have to lose? It's a bit nerve wracking, but if I can do it being Mr. Impatient, then really anyone can. First one I did I removed the dust cap. The second I did without cutting or removing the dustcap. If you can refoam a surround, you can most likely re-center a magnet.

I've only had one driver lock up on my Monitor 5B's in 24 years, and that was because some knucklehead tipped the speaker over onto it's front. They've been moved over 1000's of miles in over a dozen moves in that time without issue. I always transport them rightside up, which I don't know is "correct" or not but has seemed to work so far. Maybe I just happened to have got a good pair of the drivers, but I can't imagine replacing them with anything but the originals as I like the way they sound.

I'd be afraid to take the thing apart to epoxy the magnets. My Karma would definitely lead to buying a replacement.

You don't take them apart you just run a bead of epoxy around the magnet.

Ah, I was confusing realigning them if they were stuck with just securing the magnet. Thanks!

If I ever have a stuck one I'll give a try at realigning and then epoxy them. I'm not gonna touch them at this point.

Too bad the new ones suck. They don't look the same and they feel even cheaper than the originals.

They are made by a different company, but they spec exactly as the originals and by all accounts, sound exactly the same, as they should. I don't think they look all that different either. What's so "cheap"? Doped paper cones are still the most natural sounding drivers and rubber surrounds mean they will last many, many years. If you think the stamped steel baskets are cheap, well so be it, but they served the originals well, should be no different with the new ones.

Sour grapes or something else?

All my Polks are 6502. . . From the Monitor 4 through the Monitor 10s. . . I have not noticed the ohm ratings except for my 5s which I knew were 4ohm when I bought them. . .

I run them about 20 hours a day every day with my Denon 3806 from normal to extreme levels and the receiver gets just barely warm. . . I do use a sub however and keep the others all set at "small". . .

Nothing like the energy you get from these Polks. I use 7s as rears and 10s as fronts with one 5 at center. I am thinking of changing centers to the Monitor 7 and putting the 5s at rear.. . .

Thanks for the tip though I will check to see what rating the others have on them,. . .

Hello music lovers, going to order some original 6.5 inch woofer drivers for my monitor 5s off Ebay...just checking if they used same drivers MW 6502 in 5s and 5 jrs....

@Fomoco1649

The member you quoted and asked a question of posted that 17 years ago and hasn't posted in 12 years so I highly doubt he will be responding.

To answer your question

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 9.48.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom