Penn State Coach Joe Paterno to retire???

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a criminal investigation of a real, living nightmare. why anyone might be inclined to "juice" the story up escapes me.

Really???? How about ratings = $$$$????

Without being anymore cynical that usual, money as always is part of this scandal, so why be surprised at someone else for chasing the Almighty Dollar????

I found a little more information from a good source. It is the girls mother that is believed to have been the client during her divorce, not the daughter. The daughter and mother of his now TWO children was a part time member of his staff. The marriage apparently did end in divorce recently.

That may not change much for most people.
Some correction is in order here. While the above is believed to be, for the most part, accurate, the daughter that was reported to be his client when she was seeking emancipation from her parents. That apparently occurred after the mothers divorce. So, I stand corrected. We are back to where we were before I posted the above. Additionally, according to the newspaper article below, he is separated from the daughter / mother of his children, but not divorced at this time.

The local newspaper has the story here. I am only listing the link here for reference. I am not about to attempt to confirm that it is complete nor accurate. http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/16/2988114/spotlight-shines-on-sandusky-attorney.html

I will state that if one would separate the above from the rest of his professional career, he is not a sleazy lawyer. He is a criminal defense attorney that has represented people that have been charged with some of the worst kinds of offenses. (Sandusky is likely to be a new high, or low if you will, for him.) The public's perception of him comes with the territory.

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." Benjamin Franklin - Poor Richards' Almanac.

This is as true now, as it was then. In order for a conspiracy to work, all the participants have to keep their mouths shut and that goes against human nature...

Very, very true. When I was in the military/government intelligence community, one of those aspects of human nature that was beaten into our heads was: "Everybody has one person they trust." Think about that. You have a secret, and you tell that one person that you would trust with your life. Well, that person has one person they trust. So, if you have a secret that you want to stay a secret...

Regarding the lawyering vocation and the great glee we all take in castigating them...that'll change right quick should you ever find yourself in a situation where you need one. :yes:

Maybe even JoePA himself had a thing for the young boys. Birds of a feather and all.....

this whole matter isn't lurid, salacious, and just plain filthy enough without projecting imaginary elements into it? this isn't about rumor mongering and titillation, it's a criminal investigation of a real, living nightmare. why anyone might be inclined to "juice" the story up escapes me.

:thmbsp: +1

It is statements such as the one made by Rex that fall squarely in the category of rumor mongering and tillation. It's outrageous.

Is that judge that dense? Why put herself in this situation?? Doesnt she know that anyone related to the case will go under the microscope? wtf is wrong with these people,,,,she probably thought a political career can be made of this?

Very, very true. When I was in the military/government intelligence community, one of those aspects of human nature that was beaten into our heads was: "Everybody has one person they trust." Think about that. You have a secret, and you tell that one person that you would trust with your life. Well, that person has one person they trust. So, if you have a secret that you want to stay a secret...

Regarding the lawyering vocation and the great glee we all take in castigating them...that'll change right quick should you ever find yourself in a situation where you need one. :yes:
Amen to that, and that. :yes:

:thmbsp: +1

It is statements such as the one made by Rex that fall squarely in the category of rumor mongering and tillation. It's outrageous.
And ignoring the possibilities that it could be true, given the current circumstances, would be equally outrageous.

The word on the street here is that the "trustees", to use the term loosely, want to take Paterno's statue down outside the stadium.

To me, they are trying to incite another "riot" by mishandling yet another aspect of this mess: http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/report-...-from-outside-penn-states-beaver-stadium.html .

They do have a law school on campus now. I suggest that they sit in on basic law 101 and see if they can find something out about the concept of due process. I think that removing the statue at this time, regardless of their stated reason in the above story (BS!), is going way too far. If, after due process, Paterno is found to have been at the heart of the cover up of any of the things that Sanduskys is found guilty of, fine. Do it.. To do it now is going to make a LOT of people angry that they are trying to erase 60 years of Paterno's legacy of doing countless good things for The University, students, faculty, charities, and yes, Penn State as well as all of college football. That is what the statue was put there there to honor. If he is found guilty, all bets are off.

Last edited:
The word on the street here is that the "trustees", to use the term loosely, want to take Paterno's statue down outside the stadium.

Well that's just stupid. Last I heard, Paterno had never been indicted (much less convicted) of any crime. These folks need to calm the hell down, and at least wait till this thing starts shaking itself out in court.

And ignoring the possibilities that it could be true, given the current circumstances, would be equally outrageous.

Well bentpencil, I sincerely hope you never find yourself nor anyone near and dear to you in the position of seeing personal reputation brought to ruins through idle speculation that's neither warranted nor substantiated.

Discussion of what's known is one thing, reckless rumor mongering is quite another.

Well that's just stupid. Last I heard, Paterno had never been indicted (much less convicted) of any crime. These folks need to calm the hell down, and at least wait till this thing starts shaking itself out in court.
Ain't THAT the truth! :thmbsp:

Well bentpencil, I sincerely hope you never find yourself nor anyone near and dear to you in the position of seeing personal reputation brought to ruins through idle speculation that's neither warranted nor substantiated.

Discussion of what's known is one thing, reckless rumor mongering is quite another.
Don't get your panties so twisted in a knot!

I didn't say to hang anyone - I merely stated that in light of all the possible scenarios which have come out in the investigation, that all possibilities be examined. You really don't think the investigators have considered the same thing?

To me, they are trying to incite another "riot" by mishandling yet another aspect of this mess: http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/report-...-from-outside-penn-states-beaver-stadium.html .

They do have a law school on campus now. I suggest that they sit in on basic law 101 and see if they can find something out about the concept of due process. I think that removing the statue at this time, regardless of their stated reason in the above story (BS!), is going way too far. If, after due process, Paterno is found to have been at the heart of the cover up of any of the things that Sanduskys is found guilty of, fine. Do it.. To do it now is going to make a LOT of people angry that they are trying to erase 60 years of Paterno's legacy of doing countless good things for The University, students, faculty, charities, and yes, Penn State as well as all of college football. That is what the statue was put there there to honor. If he is found guilty, all bets are off.
Well, if they find him not guilty, they can put it back. Until then everything points to him having brushed the raping of kids under the rug, because football comes first. Even if he is found to have done his legal duty to send it up the ladder, that doesn't change the fact that he should have done more. You don't need a trial to determine that. There's also a good chance the trustees know more about what he knew than we do. Just look at the evidence. Remove yourself from your community for a second and look at it from the outside. The whole world is looking at Penn State and saying "they don't get it". Football can't come first right now. If that means taking down a statue so that it looks like, just for a moment, something else might matter to them...then its a good start.

The statue was not only about football. Consider that, among other things, he was nominated for The Freedom medal. They don't consider win / loss records for Freedom Medal nominees.

Please dont think that I am saying that ALL of the good things that he has done in his 84 years gives him a right to a pass for covering for a serial child molester. I am not.

Well, if they find him not guilty, they can put it back.

Not guilty of what? What's he been charged with in a court of law? The man is 84 years old, and given all that's likely to happen in the next months, If he's still alive this time next year I'll be surprised.

Listen, football is meaningless to me, so don't think it's some misplaced love of sports that colors my opinion. There's been a lot of wrong done in this case already, but cliche' or not, two wrongs don't make a right. Crucifying people without giving them a chance to defend themselves is wrong too.

Everybody needs to dial it back a notch. It's getting a bit tense in here. Nobody's been convicted of one single thing. Not one person, not one crime, nothing. Hanging anybody is a bit premature, to say the least.

As far as I know, "the internet" has not yet replaced "the jury" in our legal system.

Not guilty of what? What's he been charged with in a court of law? The man is 84 years old, and given all that's likely to happen in the next months, If he's still alive this time next year I'll be surprised.

Listen, football is meaningless to me, so don't think it's some misplaced love of sports that colors my opinion. There's been a lot of wrong done in this case already, but cliche' or not, two wrongs don't make a right. Crucifying people without giving them a chance to defend themselves is wrong too.

There are certain things you can do, which will negate every bit of good you have ever done in your life. What he may or may not have done, may not be a criminal matter. Personally, I think it was but that's for the law to figure out. Regardless of that, he doesn't need to be innocent or guilty of anything for the university to not want a statue of somebody who helped minimize the actions taken against a child molester. That isn't in question...everything points to it, and they don't need a conviction of anything to take this kind of action. They're not throwing him in jail, they're sending a message, and its one that I think needs to be sent. People are punished all the time for things that don't necessarily break the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom