People with Tannoy knowledge...

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Will these Tannoy 12" Monitor Gold HPD co-axial alnico speakers from 1974 compete or do better than the D500's with my setup?

1099927218.jpg

1099927219.jpg

1099927221.jpg

I can't comment on that comparison, but can you give us an idea of the price range? Are you looking at used or new D500s, and how much are they?

I'm no Tannoy expert and know nothing about D500's but those alnico Gold's look VERY nice, especially if the price is right.

Those look like Cheviots to me. I'd make sure the foam surround is intact as it is prone to rot after 20+ years. I own the exact speakers you are looking at and find them to be an excellent speaker. My speaker tech owns a pair and has told me that they are one of his favorite drivers. The cabinet is the weak spot for those drivers. It is narrow thus not allowing for much low bass. I haven't converted mine ot a bigger cab but will in the summer as I hear it improves the bottem end alot. I find the bass is really detailed and smooth with these speakers. Top end a touch rolled off, although you could add a super tweeter on top if so inclined. Here's a pic of mine.

What power amp are you using? I'm using a Threshold S/150 and I'll testify that this is one oof the nicest speaker/amp combos I've come across yet.

Price of the Cheviots is between $300.00-$700.00 depending on condition ect. I picked mine up for $150.00 Canadian and had a friend redo the surrounds for me. As for the D500's....they look nice but I can't respond as I've never heard a pair. Maybe someone else has.

Tannoy.jpg

Last edited:
The Cheviots are 800...quite a lot but they seem in excellent shape...The D-500's are local in Atlanta for 1100...they are used as well.

Cheviots sold for $1000.00 US a pair in 1976 and D500's were $3800.00 in 1996. I'd offer $650.00 for the Cheviots and see what happens. Both have great resale value. The D500's are an 8" driver as opposed to a 12" driver. The Cheviots are from the mid 70's and will be prone to more problems ie: crossovers, switches ect. although mine work flawlessly.

LPD,.,,I will be using Mc Mc40's....I think they put out enough amperes.....But if the speakers prove trmemndous, I could trade or add some SS macs

WhiteSE said:
Damn,,,the HPD's (Cheviots) sold yesterday!
Huh. I was gonna recommend you get them if you like the sound, then see if you could A-B them with the D500s...

More will come along, of course. If you're interested in Tannoys but want a single driver, larger than the D500s, I will probably need to sell my Tannoy System 12 DMT studio monitors soon. 96db efficiency, capable of high SPLs on 40 wpc. I tried out my RatShack meter when I first got it, using a VAC 37 wpc amp. All the LOUD I could want, hitting 115db and more on peaks, with headroom leftover. These would be in the price range of the speakers you've mentioned. The System 12s are no longer in production, being sort of replaced by the 1200s -- but the System 12 DMT cabinets are definitely more solid.

These System 12s hooked me on the Tannoy dual concentric sound, but I'm thinking of selling in order to afford a pair of System 15 DMTs.

Back
Top Bottom