Perfect for hot weather: cold noodle soup - Korean style

gogofast

Addicted Member
At 2pm today, the temperature went over 80, and for Seattle area, this is pretty much as hot as it will get. I had my mind set to make this dish (Korean cold noodle soup: AKA mul naengmyun) when I get home. So I grab a few stuff on the way home, spend an hour making the soup base, put it in the freezer for a quick freeze, and the storm clouds move in. The temperature dips to 60's almost instantaneously. Oh well, too late to make anything else, so I go on.

It's pretty much a summer time national dish in Korea, and there are many variations of it.

The cold soup is the most important part and in Korea, everyone has his/her own recipes and secret ingredients. I use 50/50 chicken and beef stock. Other than the obvious, my main ingredients are Asian pear, apple, sweet potato, potato ( all in pureed form), soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and fermented vegetable enzyme I made years ago. Noodle is a mix of black rice and brown rice noodle. Add sliced beef, boiled egg, and some pickled veggies as topping, and pour that half frozen soup over. Very tasty and refreshing. My kids love it.

If you have a Korean restaurant near, I suggest you try it. Most Korean restaurants will have it during summer time. Even though most places will use some form of MSG instead of making the soup base the hard way.

coldnoodle2.jpg coldnoodle.jpg

At 2pm today, the temperature went over 80, and for Seattle area, this is pretty much as hot as it will get.
:rflmao: That's not hot!..lol.

I actually LOVE soup and really like stuff like Vietnamese Pho but I've never found any cold soups that didn't taste just wrong to me. Even in the summer here (100 degrees) if I eat soup at all, it has to be hot. That sure does look good though and I appreciate you sharing the pics and info. I might have to give it a shot if I stumble across the opportunity to do so.

That reminds me of the Siri commercial with Samuel L Jackson where he tells Siri to remind him to put the Gazpacho in the fridge. When Siri asks "would you like me to set a reminder for......" he says, "Unless you like hotzpacho!"

After practice at the dojo during summer months, we'd go to a local Japanese restaurant that had seasonal hiyashi chuka (cold ramen).

Delish!

Thanks guys. Yeah, as odd as it may sound to some, it is quite tasty. Another summer time favorite is zaru soba with dipping sauce.

I like zaru soba and I also make a Japanese chilled noodle dish called hiyashi somen. On really hot days I put ice cubes in the soup.

somen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom