Perpetuum Ebner PE 2020 L question

moondogtn

I was going to fix this for a friend but not sure it's even possible. I am not a turntable guru by any means. I have attached pictures showing what the dilemma is. Is it possible to solder wires to tab on other side of black block since it is broken off on the correct side? If so, does it matter that it appears bent and not touching? I have taken pictures and marked to show what I am looking at. If I am spinning my wheels, let me know. Please advise. Thanks

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 63
Is it possible to take apart the black block and switch the broken and unbroken tongues? I think that is the mute switch that shuts off the signal when the arm is cycling, and it can be bypassed, but you are likely to have some noise during cycling. It might be possible to cut plastic to get access to one side of the broken tongue and solder to the exposed bit.

I can't strip this tiny wire. I was told that I could use the tiny wire inside headphones so I may just do the entire tonearm but that seems like another can of worms....removing the tonearm. I'll keep you posted.

Bill

I had one of these tables. It's challenging to work on, but worth it.

Don't remove the tonearm and rewire it. You'll rue the day. There are different ways to strip that fine of wire, including simply melting off the insulation, though that's not ideal.

Hot Tweezers = your friend

hot-tweezers.jpg

I don't have hot tweezers. Do they sell them cheap somewhere? I have had no use for any up until today. I lost a teeny tiny e clip that went on that washer in the pic. I'm done tearing things up for today. Tomorrow is another day.

Edit:
I used my soldering iron and sharp edge on bottom side of turntable to strip wire. That makes it much easier. I got everything soldered up (except ground as I am not certain where to attach). but still can't find that tiny clip so unable to test. I will look for one tomorrow.

Also, I think I know where ground attaches but am not 100%. Does someone have a pic of the inside of their table?

Thanks for ideas and guidance folks. Hopefully this is almost done!

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_2690.JPG
    IMG_2690.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
.....I lost a teeny tiny e clip that went on that washer in the pic. I'm done tearing things up for today. Tomorrow is another day.....

You have just experienced a corollary of Murphy's Law, that says, "a lost part will fall into the least accessible area".

It will likely be steel so a magnet will help. It is black so it will blend in. It was under pressure as it was released so it likely took 3 or 4 bounces off of things so gravity along would not be at play. In other words, it could be _anywhere_ in the room. Ask me how I know this!

Cheers,

David

I foresee going through the contents of the vacuum cleaner bag with magnet and magnifying glass. Practically a weekly occurrence in my house back when I worked on cameras.

I ran down to auto parts store and bought some. I think I found the original after the fact. Now, I just need to test it and see if it actually works. I am hoping it does. I'll let y'all know. Also, these springs on base...are they supposed to go through the holes in the plinth? Seems like they won't do much isolating like that?? Thanks again for all the guidance.

Bill

I ran down to auto parts store and bought some. I think I found the original after the fact. Now, I just need to test it and see if it actually works. I am hoping it does. I'll let y'all know. Also, these springs on base...are they supposed to go through the holes in the plinth? Seems like they won't do much isolating like that?? Thanks again for all the guidance.

Bill

The springs sit in metal cups that have a lip around the top. That lip rests around the top perimeter of those holes. There should also be foam inside the springs, though that is often missing.

Foam is there but cups are missing. Ian also missing a counterweight. I tried playing it but it basically just jumps around and pops. It did play for a bit. The good news is my soldering job was successful. I haven't worked on tonearm wiring before. Now...the mechanical side of this is probably more than I want to mess with...this may end up a parts table. I don't know just yet.

I am hopeful that I am able to restore this table. I thought it was functional with the exception of the cable being ripped or broken off. How difficult will this be? Just looking for some opinions as to whether or not this is something a novice turntable guy should attempt. I feel like if I don't do it, I'll never learn it so....

Foam is there but cups are missing. Ian also missing a counterweight. I tried playing it but it basically just jumps around and pops. It did play for a bit. The good news is my soldering job was successful. I haven't worked on tonearm wiring before. Now...the mechanical side of this is probably more than I want to mess with...this may end up a parts table. I don't know just yet.

I have some parts, including a counterweight I think. Let me see.

As for whether it's worth trying to repair, I say go for it. Working on mine was an education.

Dbxdx5, thanks for the inspiration. That's why I want to do it myself....so, next time I will know and maybe someday I can help advise someone. I just hope my patience holds out.

Regarding the parts, I would appreciate them. I also posted a wanted thread in Bartertown.

Thanks again

Bill

Dbxdx5, thanks for the inspiration. That's why I want to do it myself....so, next time I will know and maybe someday I can help advise someone. I just hope my patience holds out.

Regarding the parts, I would appreciate them. I also posted a wanted thread in Bartertown.

Thanks again

Bill

No luck on the cups, but I have a counterweight. PM me your address, and I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

I am trying to ensure I use the correct manual but also curious, does anyone know the difference between the 2020 vs 2020L? I think they have the 2020 on vinylengine and 2040 on AKdatabase but neither has the 2020L.

Bill

Just a bit of info. It seems that the 2020L has a lift so that it can run in manual as well.

I found a random part inside the plinth when I removed it today. I am just getting started and hope this doesn't end the game. It can't be good. Does anyone know what this is?

Edit: I found a bent piece as well. I think I put it back in the wrong place? Please advise. I straightened it out as best as I can but still don't know exactly how or where. it went.
I have determined this is the trip link according to the manual, still not certain of correct installation.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2731.JPG
    IMG_2731.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom