Pet Rocks

usedto

Lunatic Member
The story.

Back in the 80s I was in a small wrecking yard west of town. They had a hydraulic car press sitting on the ground with these two huge rocks protecting the hydraulic rams and hoses. I commented that I'd like to own them, but the owner wanted the protection.

Some years later the yard sold, and one day the new owner happened in my hardware store. Through the course of the conversation, I mentioned that he had something in the yard I wanted. When I told him it was the rocks, he said they were in his way and to come and get them. I drug my feet (or forgot), and the yard sold again.

Once again, the new owner came into my store, and I mentioned the rocks. I told him they had been given to me, but I never picked them up. He looked around, picked up a used high-budget water trap and regulator off my shelf and told me he'd swap straight across. This time I didn't wait. I tossed in a new Goodyear 50' air hose, hooked up my trailer, and headed over. We loaded them up, and I brought them home.

This one is about 5 feet wide, about 20 inches tall, and weighs 1300+ pounds.

rock1.jpg

This one is about 42 inches wide, 26 inches tall, and weighs around 900 pounds.

rock2.jpg

I used to have them in front of the house in planters in the middle of our lawn, but wifey hated them, so I moved them over in front of my office. I've had tons of people try to buy them from me, but I really like them. Then a few years back, I was over in my neighbor's yard and spotted these two:

rock3.jpg

He's a fencing contractor. He did a job for some people, and they wanted the rocks gone, so he hauled them off and tossed them outside his fenced yard. I gladly took them off his hands.

Our new house is almost done. It sits on a corner, and the driveway is an arc that cuts off the point of the corner. There's a stop sign on the point. Wifey has decided that it's acceptable for me to put the rocks in the corner planter, as long as we can put a few plants in there, too.

They'll finally have a place of honor.

Lucy would have asked Ricky to put them in the trailer

I lived in the trailer park in the Long Trailer movie, near the start of the movie, in the scene when all of the neighbors were in the trailer partying. The parks real name was Treasure Island, in Laguna Beach (south). And... we had a friend that lived in Ricky and Lucies trailer there. We've been in it many times; now just landfill fodder, and a new luxury hotel and spa in its place.
It sort of didn't have the negative connotations of most trailer parks.
card00015_fr.jpg

Last edited:
I lived in the trailer park in the Long Trailer movie, near the start of the movie, in the scene when all of the neighbors were in the trailer partying. The parks real name was Treasure Island, in Laguna Beach (south). And... we had a friend that lived in Ricky and Lucies trailer there. We've been in it many times; now just landfill fodder, and a new luxury hotel and spa in its place.
It sort of didn't have the negative connotations of most trailer parks.
card00015_fr.jpg
I spent a few years employed by a mobile home sales co. as part of the setup crew while I was in college. Worked in many parks throughout southern CA. Some were very nice well kept trailer parks and some were arm pits.

I knew you would. :biggrin: Here's the pallet of other rocks that will also be going with us:

View attachment 1411446

Thats a load of fun right there! and work...
Those look really nice. I like the patterning.

The big ones,... do you know anything about them, i.e. source? local native rock?
I like the moss in them a whole lot.
I found a piece of Tufa, which is a form of limestone, that holds water, and, plants can grow directly on. I'm going to tuck it in a neat shady northern exposure area, and igve it a good moss soaking to seed it.

Thats a load of fun right there! and work...
Those look really nice. I like the patterning.

The big ones,... do you know anything about them, i.e. source? local native rock?
I like the moss in them a whole lot.
I found a piece of Tufa, which is a form of limestone, that holds water, and, plants can grow directly on. I'm going to tuck it in a neat shady northern exposure area, and igve it a good moss soaking to seed it.
No idea where they came from. Unfortunately the original owner of the yard passed before I could ask him. A geologist spotted them one day and was puzzled with them - particularly the weight. Normal lava rock is a lot more porous an lighter. He said they weren't from anywhere around here in central CA.

The moss seems to like the taller rock better. I usually keep them cleaned off, but have decided to let the moss grow. They currently sit on the East side of my office with afternoon shade. When we move, they'll be relegated to a place out in front of God and everyone with no shade. Don't know if the moss will survive.- the place is fairly close to a river so the moisture in the air may help.

There are a few holes you can't see that sprout weed seeds from time to time. I usually pull them out - don't want the roots to break anything.

To me, those are some beautiful rock specimens. I can see why you rescued them. I've been trying to get my hands on one that is very close to me. It is about the size of both of yours combined. I think I am wearing the owner down by my constant asking of "Hows my rock doing". :D

FullSizeRender(48).jpgHere's a shot of our pet rock. The logistics for giving it a home wasn't easy. The guy we bought it from just delivered it and I had to hire some one else to crane it into position and set it. Pretty sure it'll be here long after I'm gone.

I have so many, that if I chose one, the rest might revolt and collapse on me. So, here is a group shot of some of my kiddos.
These are all between 500 and 700lbs, and all hand hauled.

DSCN5710.jpg

This is the biggest one I've ever wrassled with, and, it came close to taking me out.
I managed to get it onto my rock cart (a heavy duty hand truck). I tried to get it to roll up a ramp, into a trailer. I got it to the top of the ramp, when my feet came out from under me in trying to push it up the ramp. Suddenly, I'm on the ground, with this 700lb rock on a pair of steel rails, at the top of a ramp, and, it is starting to slide down the rails, towards my head. Quick evasive roll to the side, as the rock rolls past me, and, attempt two began... this time with another 20' of running distance to try to get it up the ramp.
DSCN5708.jpg

I have so many, that if I chose one, the rest might revolt and collapse on me. So, here is a group shot of some of my kiddos.
These are all between 500 and 700lbs, and all hand hauled.

View attachment 1412052

This is the biggest one I've ever wrassled with, and, it came close to taking me out.
I managed to get it onto my rock cart (a heavy duty hand truck). I tried to get it to roll up a ramp, into a trailer. I got it to the top of the ramp, when my feet came out from under me in trying to push it up the ramp. Suddenly, I'm on the ground, with this 700lb rock on a pair of steel rails, at the top of a ramp, and, it is starting to slide down the rails, towards my head. Quick evasive roll to the side, as the rock rolls past me, and, attempt two began... this time with another 20' of running distance to try to get it up the ramp.
View attachment 1412054
Mike, for some reason you're the 1st person that came to mind when I saw this thread started. Wonder why?:rolleyes:
You know, it's heart warming that there's quite a few of us here on this board that are so far away from one another, have lots of differences yet have so many things in common. I guess when we're all put together we really make a village.
Rocks - great thread!

They haven't been named yet?

Not yet, but they will be when we move.

Just talked to a friend - he can get us all the rocks we want when the time comes. He lives up in the foothills of gold country.
View attachment 1411985Here's a shot of our pet rock. The logistics for giving it a home wasn't easy. The guy we bought it from just delivered it and I had to hire some one else to crane it into position and set it. Pretty sure it'll be here long after I'm gone.

Back
Top Bottom