Phase Tech Euro Series 745-ES

winters860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I found a pair of 3-way 745-ES speakers from Phase Technology today at the GW, and took a chance on them at $25. Cloth dome tweeter, 6.5" mid, and 8" woofer are housed in a sealed tower.

They were the flagship of the Euro Series in 1985, but I'm not sure what the MSRP was. The brochure is available here.

Subjective analysis: At 93 db/w sensitive, they're sounding very good to me with a Marantz 2220. I'm guessing it's a fairly high Qt cabinet alignment. There isn't low frequency content in spades, but I'm hearing it dig down surprisingly deep, with the taught sound provided by shallow bass roll-off. Midrange seems detailed and prominent (in a good way). Treble is non-fatiguing and slightly rolled off.

I think there's only one other AKer with the 745-ES. You don't see a lot about Phase Tech, and even less about this series, but they're made in the USA and seem to be well-constructed.

Worth a listen if you ever get the chance.

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of 335 es euro series last week in need of a refoam, couldn't find much information but seem well built. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• SDC10008.jpg
    SDC10008.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC10011.jpg
    SDC10011.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 118
  • SDC10012.jpg
    SDC10012.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 92
  • SDC10010.jpg
    SDC10010.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 82
I recently picked up a pair of the 745s. They lacked low end and one of the 6 1/2" "midranges" was buzzing. So when I refoamed it, I noticed how well this driver was handling the 30Hz tone. Thinking about this and about how they were lacking bass, I began to contemplate designing a new xover. However, when I removed the 8" driver and saw what good components they had used in a well thought out xover, I reconsidered.

The xover was well made, but was very standard in design (low pass, mid pass and high pass). So I removed the 30 Mfd cap from across the 6 1/2" driver so that it would play down to the bottom of it's range. I found the difference to be quite beneficial. Still not the last word in bass response, but much better without bothering the midrange quality or the nice definition and imaging that these speakers already had. I would definitely recommend this tweak to any owner.

Now, should I try cutting a port into them? :)

Had a pair of 730es speakers in the 1990s that I purchased new. To me the sound was always somewhat harsh and grating. When I got a pair of Infinity Overture 3s in 2000 the difference was night and day so I sold the PhaseTechs asap.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the 535es and really enjoy them when I have the chance. The 535 and 745 are a bit of an interesting design being a 2 1/2 way configuration. The upper midbass driver is run full range and handles bass and mid duties, and the lower driver (the 8" in the case of the 745) is crossed at 100Hz. This has the effect of increasing the bass sensitivity. These are relatively unknown out here on the west cost, I ended up contacting the company for information. I believe the 535 were around $400/pair in 1983. I was also told replacement drivers were available if needed!! Another bit of trivia, Phase Tech is the house brand of United Speaker Systems which is an OEM for many different companies including as far back as the original Fisher speakers. Bill Hecht, the company's founder invented the soft dome tweeter, which is now one of the most widely used technologies. Interesting company!

Sorry to resurrect, but I just picked up a pair in MINT shape at a local thrift store here in Las Vegas for $7.50. Yes, less than $10. They just replaced my Klipsch RB3's. They sound great, the price couldn't be beat.

I still have my original 745 ES. I think around $550 new. Very under appreciated speakers. But when comparing to my present everyday speakers they are a tad harsh in the high end.

I picked up a pair of 335 es euro series last week in need of a refoam, couldn't find much information but seem well built. Here are some pictures.

They are well built, and they sound great. I just scored a pair of this model in black. Paid $20 for my pair. I am driving them with my MA 5100, and they are in the living room. Refoam yours, I think you'll love them.

I have the 535 (what they call their Euro speaker along with the 735's) & did a re-cap on them. Seems like about 10-12 caps & they sounded good. I got some 335's, did a re-cap
on them. What happened then was something else. I put a large Audiophiler cap. After that re-cap, these things could
rivel my best speakers. Bic, Cizek, Ess. Those were the
first speakers that changed that much. Both caps I took
out of them weren't didn't look that bad. I had 3 of my
friends that heard this change. When I sold them my 3 buddy's played 5 card poker to see who buys them. I couldn't sell them on ebay because the price was $45-$95
dollars. Hell, I wouldn't buy them from an ebayer if they said they transformed into $200+ speakers. It's like the film caps fixed EVERYTHING & they weren't that bad of sounding. My friend was happy to pay 100.00. He told me he would never sell them either.I have changed out the caps on 45-48 pair of speakers. They either sounded better or at least the same BUT no way like the hugh improvement on these Phase Tech 335's. I would love to know why these speakers. Both caps couldn't have been bad (chances are, anyway). I stand dumbfounded until I find out.

Last edited:
I found a pair of 3-way 745-ES speakers from Phase Technology today at the GW, and took a chance on them at $25. Cloth dome tweeter, 6.5" mid, and 8" woofer are housed in a sealed tower.

They were the flagship of the Euro Series in 1985, but I'm not sure what the MSRP was. The brochure is available here.

Subjective analysis: At 93 db/w sensitive, they're sounding very good to me with a Marantz 2220. I'm guessing it's a fairly high Qt cabinet alignment. There isn't low frequency content in spades, but I'm hearing it dig down surprisingly deep, with the taught sound provided by shallow bass roll-off. Midrange seems detailed and prominent (in a good way). Treble is non-fatiguing and slightly rolled off.

I think there's only one other AKer with the 745-ES. You don't see a lot about Phase Tech, and even less about this series, but they're made in the USA and seem to be well-constructed.

Hello

I have a pair of the PhaseTECH EURO Series 745-ES in mint condition.

I have a couple of links to manual and I am loving them...

I recently came back from The Bay Area in California and I found a new love for the artist: Heart - album Dreamboat Annie.
If your looking for a sweet mid to high range 80 - 20,000 this is it. I am putting the PhaseTECH EURO Series 745-ES in place of my Left and Right channel bookshelf speakers.

Hello

I have a pair of the PhaseTECH EURO Series 745-ES in mint condition.

I have a link to the manual and I am loving them...

I recently came back from The Bay Area in California and I found a new love for the artist: Heart - album Dreamboat Annie.
If your looking for a sweet mid to high range 60 - 20,000 Hz this is it. I am putting the PhaseTECH EURO Series 745-ES in place of my Left and Right channel bookshelf speakers.
The bass is ok but we are use to subwoofers so that is why I am crossover is set at 60 - 20,000 Hz.

Phase Tech speakers are under-rated for sure. I have a pair of the PC-80s and a Phase Tech passive subwoofer. Good stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom