Phase Technology 7t Speaker find

andylsun

Well, that was a nice surprise.

Was at the town recycling on Saturday when some nice person unloaded a stack of Technics (SU-V98 amp, with tuner, eq, tape and pioneer CD). I grabbed the stack and he mentioned that he'd just unloaded some speakers.

While I have far far too many speakers I decided to take a look. A company I'd never heard of, the speakers had full socks so I couldn't see if they were 2 way or 3 way. Binding posts on the bottom, but they looked quality posts, and the speakers were heavy and stamped Made in USA.

Got them home and figured out how to roll the sock down (take the wooden top off, and the sock is velcroed underneath). 2 way, with a front port and the foam on the woofers was in perfect condition.

Hooked them up and was very impressed with the sound (compared to B&W DM220). Nice lower bass that was missing from the B&W and the highs sounded great, not too sharp and not too muffled. Driven with a Yamaha A-1000 integrated amplifier.

I've put them in my main system for now, and will give them a proper run later this week. Pics show one of them and the other is in the same condition

I've not seen too many specs, or an owners manual, but would be interested if anyone has literature that came with them.

G2P9dm.jpg

XBRpFm.jpg

QkYqam.jpg

uNdRCm.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw a pair of these at the local habitat store for $30. I don't really need speakers and I didnt have any money with me. Would you recommend that I buy them? Or are they junk, sound quality wise?

Those look pretty nice! I swear, I NEVER come across scores like that around here.

IRC Phase Technology manu their own drivers as well as some OEM . That was in the
80's and 90's though.

I have a pair of Phase Tech PC-60s that might keep up with a pair of the $four-figure$ contemporary 2-way bookshelf speakers.

I see this thread is a few months old, but it's great to see someone else with a pair of 7T's. I love these speakers. They are in my main system now, driven by a Sansui AU-7500.
Did you take the cloth sock off permanently? I peeled mine a little once just to peek, and thought the bare painted wood didn't look too good, but yours look nice in the picture.

Here is a pretty favorable review from Audio Asylum: http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/Phase%20Technology/7T/speakers/128002.html

I had never heard of them either when I found mine. I can't remember his name, but the guy who started Phase Tech supposedly invented the soft dome tweeter. They are still around. When I got mine, I emailed them to get some info and they were very kind. They sent me pdf's of the manual and sales brochure. I have heard that they are also very good about replacing drivers and things.

cheers!

I left the cloth sock on. and these have now been my main speakers since I got them.

I really like them.

I've also just realized that I ought to try them with my tube amp. I have a Decware SE-84B that didn't work with my B&W's at all (3 way), but has worked nicely with other 2 way speakers.

May lug it downstairs and give it a run with something like a HK 825 on the front end. While they won't shake the room, it'll make a nice change from the A-1000.

Not sure what the sensitivity of the speakers are, but it's probably around 90db/W which is a little low for the decware.

Yup. 90db it is. Here is a scan of the manual I got from them.

page0001.jpg

page0002.jpg

I have it in pdf form too if you're interested.

Phase Tech 7T

Bill Hecht was the designer, acoustician of Phase Technology that has been based in FL, still is, for years. www.phasetech.com they still build and design their own components. Bill passed away a few months ago, had many patents in speaker design since the '50s?

I just scored some phase tech euro 535es for $20. I have been having a hard time finding out anything about them, but i like how they sound. Junk they most certainly are not. Interesting tidbit, the founder invented the soft dome tweeter.

I just scored some phase tech euro 535es for $20. I have been having a hard time finding out anything about them, but i like how they sound. Junk they most certainly are not. Interesting tidbit, the founder invented the soft dome tweeter.

I still have their big brothers the 745ES. At the time they numbered the speakers after BMW series cars. They were decent speakers.

Andylsun: I think the Teatro's are focused on home theater applications. Since an amp is built in, you'd probably need a simple pre amp. Could be a nice find for $70.00.

I still have their big brothers the 745ES. At the time they numbered the speakers after BMW series cars. They were decent speakers.

Andylsun: I think the Teatro's are focused on home theater applications. Since an amp is built in, you'd probably need a simple pre amp. Could be a nice find for $70.00.
What are the odds? I found their big brother today. Teatro Tower 10. Could you possibly be referring to my post?

I just bought a pair of Phase Tech 7T's, a pair of phase Tech DS T's & a phase Tech T Center Channel for $100.00.. Told my Boss @Nashou66 about the Them & He recommended I buy these 5 speakers for that Price & He even drove me to get the Speakers.. Thanks Again Boss.. all speakers are in great condition & Sound Amazing Hooked To my Pioneer Elite VSX & My Lab 390 Direct Drive Turntable I Love which I received as a Xmas gift from my Generous Boss. Love my Sound System Now, many Listening Sessions to Come..

Last edited:
@Tommyboy73 , I told you PhaseTech make a great underrated speaker!!!!

JUst dont blow your neighbors windows out blasting them buddy!!!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Athanasios

Funny. Just saw someone post a pair of 7t's and the T center for $150 and came across this thread. Not like I need speakers. Just sold my MA RS8's. But it's tough not to poke around to see what people are selling.

I just got the 7ts last month for $50.00. Love them! They put out very good bass too......

Back
Top Bottom