Phil from West Liberty, Iowa

camfreak

Greetings and salutations all! I've been hanging around this forum for years but have just become a paid subscriber recently. I've been into electronics practically as long as I've been alive, with a diversion here and there. I built a Heathkit 'Star Roamer' when I was ten, and for my 6th grade science fair project I made a simple flip-flop circuit with a description that explained how it was going to revolutionize the future. I don't really know how much info you want for a proper intro. I'll try and keep it brief. I was a member of the civil defense where I acquired my general amateur radio licence. I belonged to the amateur radio club in high school, joined the army after HS and became a wheel and track vehicle mechanic. It was when I was stationed in Sinop, Turkey that I got my first taste of what High Fidelity was. This was in 1972 at what I consider to be the height of great affordable HiFi gear. My first system was a Kenwood KR5150, Sansui SP2700's and a Dual 1229 turntable. I also discovered the 'legendary' Sansui 5000 series while I was there. While attending college I worked at the best TV shop in Newport News, Va. 'B & F Electronics' where I specialized in audio system repair. After receiving my bachelors degree in EE I moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa to work for Rockwell/Collins. I retired in 2011 and recently have re-kindled my love affair with HiFi. I particularly like the vintage stuff for two reasons. The equipment is top notch and it is affordable. That's about it, I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep. I hope to be a valued member of your community. Thanks for reading

Welcome to AK neighbor. Thanks for your service.:thumbsup: Tested and repaired quite a few of the RockwellCollins F-15 avionics pieces.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK neighbor. Thanks for your service.:thumbsup: Tested and repaired quite a few of the RockwellCollins F-15 avionics pieces.
Thank you! And thanks for your service as well. Going to work for Collins radio was a dream come true. Rockwell had just recently acquired Collins when I started there, Boeing has just recently acquired it. Their reputation for amateur gear is preceded by no one. I worked with GPS guidance systems primarily, but I went active reserve for a while after my ETS and worked on Huey UH1 avionics. Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom