Phil Keaggy - A (not so brief) Discography

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Ethan25, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ethan25

Ethan25 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have had several people ask me to do this thread, and until we have a biography category of some sort, I will just post it here as that's where I was encouraged to post.

I know many of you have wondered what my fascination is with Phil Keaggy - some of you don't wonder as you also find his music to be quite remarkable. The purpose of this thread is to get you acquainted with Phil's music and provide a list of what he has out there for those interested. I will do my best to provide this in a chronological sequence the best I can. My plan is to post one album per post and share the release date, what label it was produced by, and a song or two from the album if it is available through youtube. I am not going to set a time limit on the thread to finish, as I don't have internet at home and will have to do this on my break while at work.

Please by all means reply and ask questions. I am not concerned with having all 100 (or thereabouts) posts in some sort of immediate sequential order in the thread. Phil, while somewhat famous, is rather not famous considering his extensive catalog and amazing abilities, at least in my opinion. So, please be patient with me as I get this done in my spare time. I do not intend to focus on his religious beliefs, although those come through in his music (along with Bob Marley's, Nirvana's, and others). Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

PK+Press+1_Lo+Res.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Dusty Ol'Man and KevinJS like this.
  2. Ethan25

Phil was born on March 23, 1951 in Youngstown, OH, the ninth of ten children. In a childhood accident with a water pump, Phil lost the middle finger on his right hand. On Phil's 10th birthday, his brother, Dave returned home with a Sears Silvertone guitar. That's when the magic began as Phil began practicing. At the age of 13, he joined his first band, the Keytones. Later on he would participate in groups like The Squires, and New Hudson Exit. Here's a sample of one of his early songs with The Squires, at age 16. I apologize for the poor sound quality as I do not have a way to download a decent copy of this song as an MP3. This was off an album titled HIGHS in the MID SIXTIES, volume NINE - OHIO. Small Ohio bands were included on this LP.

Highs in the mid 60s.jpg

3. Ethan25

Here are Phil's two best songs with New Hudson Exit, in my opinion. I believe these are from 1967. From what I gather, he left New Hudson Exit as management felt he was too young for the challenges of a band tour. Not sure 100%, as this was told to me by a friend.

KevinJS likes this.
  4. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

Nice, I'm a PK fan as well. Looking forward to a deeper dive into his catalog. Thanks for doing this.

John

8xlaxx, Dusty Ol'Man and KevinJS like this.
  5. Ethan25

Glad to John! If you have any questions feel free to ask! I have met only one person who has more of his music than I do - so if I can't figure something out, I am going to ask him. I am rather young - 36, and so my experience with Keaggy started in 1987 when I first heard The Master and the Musician, an album he released in 1978. The year after my dad purchased his new album Sunday's Child and I was hooked.

6. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

I'll be following this thread with interest. 100 albums and I never heard of the guy until he was mentioned on AK.

dclovell and Dusty Ol'Man like this.
  7. Ethan25

8 are live albums that only a hundred or so have, but still 92 albums aint bad...

dclovell, Dusty Ol'Man and KevinJS like this.
  8. Ethan25

Phil Keaggy, John Sferra and bassist Steve Markulin formed the band Glass Harp in 1967....later Markulin left the band to pursue other interests while Daniel Pecchio joined to form the amazing band that took Ohio and the surrounding area by storm in the late 60s to early 70s. Their first successful single was the song Where Did My World Come From released on a 45 through United Audio. I believe this was from 68', and prior to their first self-titled LP.

KevinJS likes this.
  9. Ethan25

Glass Harp was very good with doing covers of larger band's songs. Here is a cover of Season of the Witch Suite, from a concert in Buhl Park in 69' just before their first album released with DECCA.

KevinJS likes this.
  10. Ethan25

Glass Harp recorded their first album in 69, released on the DECCA label. It was recorded at Electric Lady Studio. The album included 10 songs including key releases CAN YOU SEE ME, CHANGES, and WHATEVER LIFE DEMANDS. Glass Harp would often extend the length of their songs in concert by having improvisations for guitar, drum, and even flute solos as Daniel Pecchio was an accomplished flute player.

Here is the lead single from the album titled Can You See Me, written by Phil Keaggy. Many questioned that they only had three band members as Keaggy was able to make different sounds with his guitar that resembled other instruments. He has only expanded on this ability in recent years.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    dclovell and KevinJS like this.
  11. Ethan25

Album cover for Glass Harp's self titled album

glass harp LP.jpg

KevinJS likes this.
  12. Ethan25

In late 70 to 71 the band worked on the album Synergy, with producer Lewis Merenstein. This was also recorded at Electric Lady Studio. After getting their first album released in 70, they were opening for bands like Yes and Alice Cooper, and finding some fame not just locally but regionally. Phil Keaggy was being talked about by fans everywhere as his guitar playing was drawing comparisons to the greats of the time. Later that year, they would open up for the Kinks at Carnegie Hall...more on that in a bit.

Synergy had two powerhouse songs called Never Is a Long Time which had Daniel Pecchio as lead singer, as well as leading off with One Day at a Time. Since this thread focuses on Keaggy, I'll post the link to One Day at a Time...

KevinJS likes this.
  13. Dusty Ol'Man

Dusty Ol'Man Keeping it CLEAN! Subscriber

You have my interest as well. Excellent guitarist and songwriter. Under played on radio for sure.

KevinJS likes this.
  14. Ethan25

15. Ethan25

In 1971, after Glass Harp released Synergy, they were asked to open for The Kinks at Carnegie Hall. They were asked to provide a 45 minute concert (which ended up going 9 minutes over due to Glass Harp's improvisations). Per the Glass Harp website, here's their take about the concert from their website www.glassharp.net:

16. Ethan25

Sadly, the live album was never done as an LP, and did not get released until I believe 2001 as a CD. Here are the covers:

cargenie.jpg carnegie 2.jpg

KevinJS and Dusty Ol'Man like this.
  17. Ethan25

Of all Glass Harp's recordings, this is by far my favorite to listen to. Please take a listen when you have time as you can listen to the whole thing here. If you have not heard it before, you have missed some of the best music from that era.

8xlaxx, KevinJS and Dusty Ol'Man like this.
  18. Dusty Ol'Man

Dusty Ol'Man Keeping it CLEAN! Subscriber

Ready for the next installment, Ethan.

Ethan25 and KevinJS like this.
  19. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

I have Phil's discography as well.
    I've met Phil and seen him live 25-30 times when he travels the east coast,...going back prior to 2nd Chapter of Acts / "How the West was One" and "What a Day".
    Looking forward to your posts and thoughts on PK! :thumbsup:

Ethan25, Dusty Ol'Man and KevinJS like this.
  20. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

Here you go,... start your commentary back up with this LP.
    Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

FC1A0343.JPG