1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Keaggy - A (not so brief) Discography

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Ethan25, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ethan25

Ethan25 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Recently I was given a 22 song set of Phil Keaggy demos from the Love Broke Thru album - some songs that did not ever make it to the album. Let me know if you are interested in hear them....and I can send you one or two good ones in an email.

8xlaxx and Dusty Ol'Man like this.
  2. Ethan25

In regard to Time, I have always liked this quote:

The whole world of Christian music changed in 7 minutes. That is how long it takes for “Time” to finish. The only complaint is that it would be too short tat twice the length. Time is the “Free Bird” of Christian music and is phenomenal, kicking rock song in or out of CCM. As mentioned previously, it was unheard of for an artist to have an extended instrumental break, but one lasting 4 minutes was border line sacrilege! And it was still WAY TOO SHORT! Fortunately the live version deals with that problem.

The instrumental solo give and take of Omartian, Knechtel and Keaggy – along with an impressive horn section – is utterly brilliant. But it’s ultimately about Keaggy’s guitar work which just soars and glides and lifts and dives. it is so powerful, stirring and majestic no review can really justify. It is guitar work like this that started the urban legends that have haunted Keaggy.It is not just the blazing speed, but the Keaggy trademark of finger the sustain control with his pinky while playing the lead, creating the original wah-wah sound he is noted for.

8xlaxx and Dusty Ol'Man like this.
  3. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

I completely dig how Phil was able to snag this guy to play bass on 'Time' and lay down the track for the LP.

[​IMG]

Maybe you have inside info on how that relationship happened????

4. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

Spinning now in iTunes,...

FC1A0628.JPG

A Royal Commandment

Ethan25 likes this.
  5. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

Another Keaggy fan here. Even though I'm a life long atheist I appreciate his God given talent! :) I remember Glass Harp from my HS days. Heck of a player!

Ethan25 and 8xlaxx like this.
  6. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

@Ethan25

A Royal Commandment,...
    We were there, November 7, 1980

IMG_2082.jpg

'Time' solo.

You won't find this pic on the net anywhere, guaranteed! :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM
  7. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

Welcome @cubdog
    Nice to see you in here and glad PK had an impact on your life.

Ethan25 likes this.
  8. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

He hasn't had any impact on my life. I just recognize a talented musician when I hear one.

8xlaxx likes this.
  9. xbart

xbart AK Subscriber Subscriber

I knew nothing about Phil before this. I picked up about 30 early progress rock albums at a garage sale near by. After reading this, I'm pretty sure I saw It makes me glad by Glass Harp there.
    I might have to swing back by and see if that is indeed what I saw, if so I'll pick it up. Thanks for the write up!

8xlaxx likes this.
  10. Ethan25

VERY cool man! I was exactly 2 months old when that pic was taken!

8xlaxx likes this.
  11. Ethan25

Yes, that would be a good decision! Glad you enjoyed this! I will continue with more soon. I've had an insane busy month.

8xlaxx likes this.