Philips 312 or Yamaha YP-D4

caltechi

Gentlemen,
I have 4 turntables right now that I've acquired over the past year or so for the purpose of getting back into vinyl. Here are the 4 tables I have:
  • Philips 212
  • Philips 312
  • Yamaha YP-B2
  • Yamaha YP-D4
I only want to keep one. It's between the YP-D4 and 312. Both are in good condition and whichever one I keep will require a new cart and styli and the maintenance that is typical of an older table. The winner will benefit from the proceeds of the other three tables after they're sold.

There's been alot of love for both these tables in the posts i've read. The Yamaha being a solid mid-tier table that's dependable with respectable numbers. The 312 with it's Thorens-esc design, coolness factor and delicate tone arm. The Yamaha is said by some to have an issue with drift while the Phillips is said to suffer from plastic bearings in the tone arm which are prone to wear out and develop play.

I'll be pairing them up to a Harman Kardon Citation 11 pre-amp that I'm restoring which will drive 2 channels of an Adcom GFA-7400 into a pair of Polk RTI-a7s. I have no problem with the tech stuff and will do all the work myself.

Your wisdom is sought and appreciated!

I rebuilt Philips 212/312 tables many times, even to the point where I bought a dozen replacement bulbs from England. I always enjoyed using them as well as moving them on to new vinyl users.

One time I replaced the arm on a 312 with one from a 212, and used it for a couple years. Never had any issues with that combo. I think I bought the bare arm off ebay. In your case, depending on the condition of the 212, you already have a backup arm?

I had those Philips 212/312 for 30 years as my only table and was always happy with them . The 312 has LED bulbs so they don't burn out like the 212's . I still say they are one of the easiest tables to use and sound pretty darn good , my 212 was $179 cad new including the G400 ? cartridge back in '74 , so great bang for your buck . Never used one of the Yammy's so can't comment on them .
One issue with the Philips is the power switch dies , easy fix though .

I rebuilt Philips 212/312 tables many times, even to the point where I bought a dozen replacement bulbs from England. I always enjoyed using them as well as moving them on to new vinyl users.

One time I replaced the arm on a 312 with one from a 212, and used it for a couple years. Never had any issues with that combo. I think I bought the bare arm off ebay. In your case, depending on the condition of the 212, you already have a backup arm?

HI CT. Yes it seems that the tone arms on the two are virtually the same. In fact the tables are virtually the same except the 312 used LEDs in the switches like you mentioned and the arm lifts off the record when it's reached the end as opposed to just stopping the platter. Both are very simple and easy to work on with a minimum of moving parts. If I decide on the 312 as my keeper I will definitely install proper RCA terminations on the table so I can plug in a high quality cable. I'd do the same on the Yamaha if keep it.

Last edited:
I had those Philips 212/312 for 30 years as my only table and was always happy with them . The 312 has LED bulbs so they don't burn out like the 212's . I still say they are one of the easiest tables to use and sound pretty darn good , my 212 was $179 cad new including the G400 ? cartridge back in '74 , so great bang for your buck . Never used one of the Yammy's so can't comment on them .
One issue with the Philips is the power switch dies , easy fix though .

Yes I've read about the power switch also. Doesn't scare me though. :)

I did prefer the 312 lift at the end, and tge power switches can be replaced with a computer case switch after trimming a small piece.

Good luck in your decision!

With vintage stereo equipment it's alway better to have more than one of an item.Just in case you have a problem then you won't go without. I'm down to six turntables and will narrow it down to four one day . Maybe. I'd keep both Phillips . I had a 212 a while back and regret selling it .

With vintage stereo equipment it's alway better to have more than one of an item.Just in case you have a problem then you won't go without. I'm down to six turntables and will narrow it down to four one day . Maybe. I'd keep both Phillips . I had a 212 a while back and regret selling it .

Thanks for the input!

sorry to be a killjoy. it's yamaha for me. the bearings in the philips 312 are NYLON or some other hard plastic. a friend made me an open reel tape once and used his philips instead of the SL120/sme. i could HEAR the bearings.

given the choices-YAMAHA!

Yamaha for me definitely. Much more modern electronics, better tonearm that uses a standard replaceable headshell. More the audiophile compnent, better looking too with the wooden deck. I have had Philips and Yamaha equipment (but not these models), and had more trouble with older Philips designs.

Alright, the Yamaha is getting some votes too. This is what I was hoping for. Your (AK community) opinions to help me make an informed decision. Keep them coming! A big thanks to all who have responded thus far.

Why would the Yamaha be your choice?

I know that the Phillips is a good sounding table but the reliability is lower than most vintage tables of its day. The switches, lights, and the plastic arm are going to give problems sooner or later and probably already have. The plastic headshell is crappy and limited.

My experience with Yamaha direct drives is very positive. I find them to be well built and they have proven to be reliable. I like the arm much better. I like the headshell with SME type mounting much more. I think there are more cartridge options with the Yamaha arm too. I like the looks and the weight and the feel of the Yamaha.

Of course you get to hear and compare operation of the two so if you like the Phillips better I do understand. They do sound good and when they are working they are good tables.

I know that the Phillips is a good sounding table but the reliability is lower than most vintage tables of its day. The switches, lights, and the plastic arm are going to give problems sooner or later and probably already have. The plastic headshell is crappy and limited.

My experience with Yamaha direct drives is very positive. I find them to be well built and they have proven to be reliable. I like the arm much better. I like the headshell with SME type mounting much more. I think there are more cartridge options with the Yamaha arm too. I like the looks and the weight and the feel of the Yamaha.

Of course you get to hear and compare operation of the two so if you like the Phillips better I do understand. They do sound good and when they are working they are good tables.
Thanks for the followup Bobins!

The Philips were a breakout bargain when they came out. A low mass alternative when SMEs were costly and the tt came with it in one purchase.

My first real tt was a dual 1215 but not nearly as good as a 1019 that i wanted. Then, a rabco st4, BIG diff. Then a tech SL120/GRACE 707! Now THAT was decent. Today, a SOTA Sapphire/MMT. NO comparison.

Back
Top Bottom