Philips DVD Player DVP-5140 24Bit 192kHz Audio DAC $50

UpsideThe Head

Has anyone here had any experience with this player? For $50 I wonder if it is worth a shot.

Technical Information
Media Support
DVD+R/+RW - Play
DVD-R/-RW - Play
CD-R/RW - Play

Frequency Response
30Hz to 20000Hz - Audio

Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)
100dB (Audio)

Digital to Analog Converter
192kHz / 24bit (Audio) - 108MHz / 12bit (Video)

Dynamic Range
90dB - Audio

Formats Support
DVD Video
Video CD
SVCD
DivX
MPEG-1
MPEG-2
DivX 3.11
DivX 4
DivX 5
DivX 6
DivX Ultra
MP3
WMA
Picture CD
JPEG

Recording Time
Not Applicable

Scanning Modes
Progressive Scan

Aspect Ratio
16:9
4:3

Storage
Hard Drive
Not Applicable

Video
Video System
NTSC
PAL

Picture Control
Rotate
Zoom
Flip

Audio
Sound System
Dolby Digital Compatible

Interfaces/Ports
Interfaces/Ports
Stereo Audio Line Out - Rear
Composite Video Output - Rear
S/PDIF Out - Rear
Component Video Output - Rear

Controls/Indicators
Language Supported
English
French
Mexican Spanish

Power Description
Input Voltage
120V AC

Frequency
60Hz

Power Consumption
10W

Physical Characteristics
Dimensions
1.46" Height x 17.13" Width x 9.25" Depth

Shipping Dimensions
3.23" Height x 19.29" Width x 12.6" Depth

Miscellaneous
Package Contents
DVP5140/37 DVD Player
2 x AAA Batteries
Audio/Video cable
Quick start guide
Remote Control
World Wide Warranty leaflet
User Manual
Product Registration Card

Additional Information
Distortion and Noise (1kHz): 85 dB
Crosstalk (1kHz): 100 dB
Parental Control

i don't know it personally but i've had great luck with cheap dvd players. i purchased a samsung hd841 for under $100 and love the sound.

technology has been very good to the digital world. newer plays sound amazingly good for their price.

You know what, the hell with it, I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it goes. If it sucks I'll return it. I'll report back either way.

I have a philips DVP-642 and it makes a great transport. the internal DACs aren't very good, but paired w/ my Zhaolu it's a great player

I listen to a DVD963SA today. Sorry I don't know your CDP. But I like the sound, and sold an outboard D/A because the internal D/A sounded better.

And I like the upsampling.

I have the Phillips 5140 and hooked it tonight to the stereo to see what it sounded like as a cd player . First off , it ticks , you can hear the drive , so unless it's enclosed behind doors it doesn't do it for me. But sound wise I was pretty impressed with it . I burned 2 discs of the same 6 songs at 4x speed and did the old A/B against my cd/dac combo. The cd is an old 89 JVC and the dac is the Adcom 700 (about $2K back in the day for both )and for $69 bucks the Phillips shouldn't sound that good. It is a flimsy unit though and don't know how long it will last . I also tried the upsampling , you can hear the difference when you switch but to tell the truth I prefered the 44.1 signal , nicer bottom end . the phillips is back in the tv rack now , the ticking of the drive silenced . But it serves me well for divx movies and that's what I picked it up for . Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom