Philips FB "800" series

Annihilism

Since I didn't see alot of information about these speakers on this forum I'd figure I'd share some experiences and pictures I've had with these speakers with you guys.

First off in Holland these speakers are real hidden gems since most people have either forgotten about them or don't like Philips because of all the garbage they have been putting out over the last few years (things are looking better lately though). People here who remember the MBF's from Philips know how well they were built (even though they needed some servicing every now and then) and the 800 series is no exception.

There are 8 types of speakers in this series going as follows:
- FB815 and FB830
- FB820 and FB840
- FB821 and FB850
- FB825 and FB860

The latter is always the same model only with slight changes and/or updated looks. The FB821/850 and FB825/860 are the flagship model in this series and show resemblances to the Marantz LS95 and Philips FB1000. They also feature the same ribbon tweeter as the above mentioned. The FB1000 and LS95 are said to have a slightly better mid (also a ribbon tweeter) and are way more expensive (and look better).

I'm always looking for something new to listen to and I first came in contact with these speakers at my friends place, and I've had a weak spot for these speakers ever since. They sound really detailed and natural wich matches my amplifier really well (yamaha M-70 / M40). They look fairly modern and are really easy to drive (they were ment to be driven by a Philips FA890 made by Marantz).

These speakers come with one downside though, like many old speakers the foam surroundings start falling apart after a couple of years. Luckily I'ts not that hard to replace them yourself and usually quite cheap. You just need some patience and a steady hand. I posted some pictures of some speakers I refoamed myself.

If you are looking for a couple of speakers these guys are always worth looking at, just remember to pay attention to the foam surroundings (if they havent been replaced they surely need to).

Attachments

• gerefoamdefb8212.jpg
    gerefoamdefb8212.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 160
  • gerefoamdefb821.jpg
    gerefoamdefb821.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01879.jpg
    DSC01879.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 112
  • FB825s-1.jpg
    FB825s-1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 112
I too had these speakers at one tme and found them to be just as you described sound wise and also needing foam surrounds. Once everything was repaired they were a very pleasing speaker. It's been several years since I last owned them so I forgt the exact model but they were impressive in sound and looks with black laquer cabinets.The trteated cones helped them to sound pretty good as well.

I know the ribbon tweeter was the highlight of the design. Certainly on of the best offered for the day. If I am not mistaken it was also an early tower design as well. I never saw them over here in the states but knew they were popular overseas.

I appreciate the revist of the design as I thought it to be a very good one!
DC

Thanks for this overview! They are luckily still underrated thanks to all the ither crap philips made. Comparable to a nissan gtr, low key brand delivering high quality.

Nice write-up and pics. I knew someone many years ago that had a set of the FB1000. He could afford speakers many times more expensive and listened to many others in that range, but always kept the FB1000's as his main set. The FB line are none too common here, unfortunately.

Big... and beautiful.

I am always amazed at how many speaker manufacturers there is and how many models each have.
Best years of audio are behind me.

THX for sharing

Hello everyone!

As a new member from Austria I'm able to post some pics of the FB 825's, which I bought last year, sealed in their original packaging and since then, I like to hear them every day! They never, really never get nervy in my ears!
I drive them on a FA960MKII, from Philips best time while working with Marantz and get most of fun, wen playing CDs on my CD303 or on the CD960! The base is fantastic deep and gets my belly jumping... ;-)
Have a nice day and best wishes from Salzburg/Austria!

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_155523.jpg
    IMG_20191221_155523.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191221_155937.jpg
    IMG_20191221_155937.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191221_160714.jpg
    IMG_20191221_160714.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20191224_231147.jpg
    IMG_20191224_231147.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 29
Nice first post and Welcome to AK!

This is certainly a very nice series from Phillips that is under the radar here in the U.S.. Thanks for sharing and please continue to add more to AK.

I have some FB825's I refoamed them and they are exceptional under the radar speakers!

Attachments

• 01717_jWTQBfE0UHP_600x450 (1).jpg
    01717_jWTQBfE0UHP_600x450 (1).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 25
Nice first post and Welcome to AK!

This is certainly a very nice series from Phillips that is under the radar here in the U.S.. Thanks for sharing and please continue to add more to AK.
Dear Audio Fan,
Thanx 4 Your warm welcome here at AK
I will give my best to stay tuned and let all of You know, what I'm working at...
Has anyone of You here ever refurbished the crossovers of an FB815? My uncle got them second hand from me as a birthday gift and I'm - like him- not quite happy with their higher frequencies and so I thought about measuring and perhaps fixing out of range capacitors if found... What do you think about it? Good idea? Bad idea? Has sb already done this?
Thanks a lot for your interests and even more 4 Your help here!
Nice greetings from Salzburg!

@nolasally: also thanks 4 Your welcome here!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom